Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshort

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
My iPad 2 keeps resetting when it's idle.. I'll glance down and see the Apple logo as it goes through a "reboot". I saw on BGR's twitter feed that his was doing it too.

Anybody else seeing this?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Mine did it only once (that I know of).

It happened after the very first sync. I manually turned it off, then turned it back on and set it on my desk for a few minutes, after which I grabbed it and headed to my bedroom. Half way to my room I looked at my iPad and noticed the Apple Logo and I though to myself "I turned it back on like 5 minutes ago, why is the Apple logo still there"

Once I got to my room I continued to see the Apple Logo for another minute and a half (not even when I turn it off and back on does it take this long). I was puzzled at to what had happened but it hasn't happened since.

chaseaholic

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
ipad 2 rebooting

So i replaced the first ipad2 i had because it was doing the leaking light thing.I get my replacement and now it keeps kicking to the boot screen after a couple minutes, no matter what app im on.Am i the unluckiest of all??????

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
So i replaced the first ipad2 i had because it was doing the leaking light thing.I get my replacement and now it keeps kicking to the boot screen after a couple minutes, no matter what app im on.Am i the unluckiest of all??????

You already got a replacement? I'm surprised they had stock for replacements.

chaseaholic

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
ive restored 3 times.The mac store i went to had a couple of my model held back in case of replacements.

bigpetah

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
Same problem

It happened once shortly after I restored it. But it just happened again while idling. Weird. My original iPad never did it. When it comes back from the reboot, everything is still on the task bar so it doesn't seem to behave like a hard reboot.

cyper2002

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
I bought a white one that I didn't like, but it kept doing the same thing over the course of a few hours then it seemed fine. I hated the white so returned it. My new black one hasn't done it yet. My original iPad never did it once.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
It could be the restore that it doesn't like. Its a pain but I've always done a fresh rebuild when going to a new device and I have zero problems.

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
This happened to two of mine today. I slid one out of a coloring book...reboot. I slid another on top of a DVD case...reboot.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I had the same issue. I haven't kept a close eye on it since but it certainly seemed strange.

No clue as to what causes it.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Saw my first reboot today. I have been using my iPad pretty heavily though and haven't seen it before then or anytime since. I am going to write mine off as a fluke until it happens again. One of the things I can note is that I had it unlocked but was walking around with it and I think my hand slid across the screen or something. At first I thought I might have held down the power button, but realized that was not the case. Such an odd occurrence, and I doubt it will happen again.

djkle

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Mine has now randomly rebooted twice. Once on the day I received it and did a restore from backup (3/16) and then again today (3/22). In each case, the iPad 2 was sitting on the table with the smart cover in typing position and I wasn't touching it. Then suddenly the apple logo appeared and it rebooted. Makes me wonder if it has done this a few other times and I've just missed it.

Logical thing seems to do a new/fresh restore without restoring from the backup. But my kids will be crushed because I don't think there is any way to save their Plants vs. Zombies progress. Grrr.

klaborn

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
This happened to two of mine today. I slid one out of a coloring book...reboot. I slid another on top of a DVD case...reboot.

Mine appears to be something similar as well. I keep it on a bookshelf and when i slide it off of the shelf it will reboot. I tried to replicate and can do it on occasion but it won't do it every time.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
I noticed mine donit once when I first got it on the 17th, hasn't since, that I know of. I leave it on all day so I have no idea if it's done it while I've been away...

lazer310

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Having a similar issue with my white 64 wifi. I thought the first time that I had just held down the power button.
But tonight, I unlocked it, went to the app store to do some updates, and it went to the white apple reboot screen, but it only stayed there for about 10 seconds, and didn't seem like a full reboot.
Haven't had any other issues besides that. And I did set it up as a new device when I first synced.
Hopefully a new software update will help?

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
Sounds to me like it's a software problem. I have not had it happen to me yet. I also don't have a smart case. Could this have something to do with using the smart case? Just a guess.

bDubz

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
Picked up my 16GB Black Wifi last night, it's been doing this ever since. A lot. Like maybe every 45 minutes. No case and with the case. It's also kicking me out of apps constantly, and then when I click on an app it will animate like it's about to go in and then it will kick back out to the home screen. Starts with one app and then it gradually does it to all my apps. I'm also freezing a lot and I'm forced to reboot. I can't seem to stay on it for more than 20 minutes without one of these things happening. Just had a new thing happen actually, I was in GarageBand and suddenly the screen dimmed except for a little portion that looked like it would house some kind of dialogue....very similar to when a Mac gets an error and freezes your screen and tells you to reboot, except there was no text.

I'm going to go ahead and try restoring, I'm sure it won't fix anything. Obviously I have a defective unit although it really seems like it's a software issue. But clearly this is not how it is supposed to be working. I got it from Target, will I be able to take this into the Apple Store and get a replacement? Because I KNOW Target won't have anymore of these when I can get there. I'd also like to see if an Apple employee knows what the deal is with this or has seen it because I haven't seen any posts anywhere that have all these issues. Grabbed the nightmare unit. I have no backlight bleed though (or it's very minimal) so it sucks that I'm going to have to play roulette with it. Doesn't seem to be consistent with any one app, pretty much happens indiscriminately of what I'm doing. Anybody else seen this?

danken

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
I have the same problem!!!

I have an ipad 2 wifi only model (32GB).

Since yesterday, I have experienced the same thing. My ipad 2 rebooted suddenly, even if I wasn't doing anything. The apple logo all of a sudden popped up, and then it was rebooted. What should I do with this? Is there anyone who get the solution?

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
reboot loop

Picked up my 16GB Black Wifi last night, it's been doing this ever since. A lot. Like maybe every 45 minutes. ...

Got my ipad2 only 15 minutes, synced the first time and it started rebooting: every 1.5 - 2 minutes !!!

Called support and they asked me to (hard) reset... will try this 'solution' tonight.
(in parallel, they opened a ticket)

Keep you guys informed...

:confused: MVa :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.