Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace
Im looking for system tools 2011 virus to download.

I have a customer who has it but i want a website where i can download viruses so i can test on them and to practice removing them correctly...

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace
Some of the nutters on the MacRumors forums seem to think all you need to do is connect a PC to the internet and you'll be infested with them. :rolleyes:

yeah but i need to do tests on certain viruses its funny no one has a virus site to recommend. But the internet is full of viruses lol

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was talking about windows in the first place.
Since you asked in a Mac forum and your signature indicates you're running a Mac and you didn't specify otherwise in your post, it was only reasonable to let you know that you can't run Windows viruses on a Mac.
yeah but i need to do tests on certain viruses its funny no one has a virus site to recommend. But the internet is full of viruses lol
If you're looking for Windows viruses, why not ask in a Windows forum, since they're more likely to be familiar with them? Mac users don't have any viruses to worry about. Why would a Mac user have virus sites to recommend?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Why would a Mac user have virus sites to recommend?

Because we care, and stay up late to show it?

I would recommend some of those nasty naked flesh IN/OUT sites, but I don't know any bad one. Or what about those sites, where they offer to show you the latest movies, but in order to do so, you have to install some nice codec?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
this question brings up a point, if I were to put windows on my mac, would not the mac be susceptible to windows viruses/etc.? ...and does it depend if I run virtual windows, or boot from a windows partition?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
this question brings up a point, if I were to put windows on my mac, would not the mac be susceptible to windows viruses/etc.? ...and does it depend if I run virtual windows, or boot from a windows partition?
Yes, running Windows on a Mac is just like running Windows on a PC. Any malware vulnerabilities would exist for both. If you run Windows on your Mac, it's advisable to run antivirus on it. However, the Mac partition wouldn't be affected by any malware on the Windows partition.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
It would be rather improper to point people to sites where you can specifically download a virus to test. People can easily say "we need to test antivirus programs" or "we need to test company security", but it's far more likely they are just kids looking to try to infect other computers.

Even if I knew of a site where you could download viruses, I would never give out the address.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Yes; there is nothing magical in the Macintosh hardware that prevents you from getting viruses, it is the operating system (MacOS X). So a Macintosh running Windows is exactly as vulnerable as any PC running Windows, and a PC running an illegally installed copy of MacOS X, as long as this was done properly, is exactly as safe as a Macintosh running MacOS X.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Even if I knew of a site where you could download viruses, I would never give out the address.

Exactly!

Many years ago I had a collection of virus' that I had collected . (I would intentionally infect an application with it and then copy it to a floppy) I used them for testing our work systems. BUT in the long run, there was little that could be done to prevent them; you might stop a few, but there are more new ones daily. In todays age, buying an off the shelf package for your enterprise is better then trying to protect yourself with your own methods. The ONLY useful thing I could see using a collection of virus' for today is testing anti-virus software to find the one that's most effective. Beyond that, to "test our server" sounds like a vengeful employee or someone with evil in their heart.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Since you asked in a Mac forum and your signature indicates you're running a Mac and you didn't specify otherwise in your post, it was only reasonable to let you know that you can't run Windows viruses on a Mac.

If you're looking for Windows viruses, why not ask in a Windows forum, since they're more likely to be familiar with them? Mac users don't have any viruses to worry about. Why would a Mac user have virus sites to recommend?

He was asking in the 'Windows on the Mac' section :rolleyes:

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace
It would be rather improper to point people to sites where you can specifically download a virus to test. People can easily say "we need to test antivirus programs" or "we need to test company security", but it's far more likely they are just kids looking to try to infect other computers.

if i really wanted to mess up someones computer i dont need a viruses to do it.

i have a customer who has a system tool virus and i want to practice on removing it before i go to his house.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
if i really wanted to mess up someones computer i dont need a viruses to do it.

i have a customer who has a system tool virus and i want to practice on removing it before i go to his house.

Go on any popular P2P network Frostwire is probley your best bet search for the latest video game or movie possibly the name of the virus find the .exe thats only a few Kb or mb in size download and run it.

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace
Go on any popular P2P network Frostwire is probley your best bet search for the latest video game or movie possibly the name of the virus find the .exe thats only a few Kb or mb in size download and run it.

its i guess thats my last resort thanks though lolz

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown

Kids will be Kids ... prank phone calls are so 1980s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.