Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legreve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
One thing I notice is that a lot of forums seems to hang around a few select programs for working with raw files and exporting.
But I find it very curious why noone talks about one of the best programs there is:

"Capture One Pro"
&
"Capture One DB"

The pro edition is ofcourse the expensive one and offers a good deal of possibilities over the DB version. The DB version (atleast of the early versions) can be acquired for free.

This is in my oppinion the program for shooting tethered, for exporting raw and keeping your photos organized.

Before I came across it only little over a year ago (due to a new workplace) I have been over Bridge, LR, Leaf and Canon's DDP. All very decent programs, but none of them are quite like the product that make up Capture One Pro.

It's something about the whole workflow, the user interface is nice and easy to work with, shooting tethered is as easy and starting the program and turning on the camera (doesn't matter if you have a canon or shooting on a digi back).
But what makes me even more excited now is how you can make non-destructive local editing in the raw file before you export to tiff or jpg.
Along with that, if you are on of the guys who do the kind of photography where the ADs or clients hang around during the shoot, you can now get an app for Capture One that will pick up the local wifi, and every single shot will be viewable on their iPad or iPhone.
Now that's bling.
Here's an overview of some of the new things available in COP 6: link

But in general, I can nothing but recommend this program. It works really really well, is reliable and produces some outstanding results.
I urge you to take a look at it. It will hands down blow LR and especially Aperture out of the ball park. :)

Have fun.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The pro edition is ofcourse the expensive one and offers a good deal of possibilities over the DB version. The DB version (atleast of the early versions) can be acquired for free.
Capture One DB will only work with files from Leaf and Phase One digital backs.
There is a lower cost version of Capture One which has limitations but will work with 3rd party cameras.
The likely reason you don't see many using C1 Pro is due to cost. I personally prefer Lightroom 3's features and workflow to C1 so that's what I use.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Shooting tethered is a pretty specialized circumstance, and very few photographers overall do it. I know that LR3 has some amount of tethering capability built-in too but as my D80 is incompatible with that feature I cannot try it out to see how it really works.

I don't know much detail about Capture Pro but last I heard, the quality of RAW conversions coming from ACR are just as good if not better than Capture Pro. The latest ACR release made some pretty major advances in terms of RAW conversion quality.

With quality being very similar or equal amongst the three, it mainly comes down to interface preference and price. I think Capture Pro decidedly loses on price, and that probably turns away many potential customers.

Ruahrc

alph45

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
i prefer LR3 workflow as well, particularly since i use adobe suite in general.

No problems with tethered capture on a MBP and the RAW conversion / noise filtering is significantly improved from LR2.

Availability of export plugins (in my case for SSP) is important.

DNG is a very nice format to store photo's, knocking the file size down from RAW significantly.

Advanced adjustment features means I rarely open photoshop now, which saves a ton of time. So glad to not have droplets all over my desktop, and non-distructive editing rocks.

Zeiss

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Australia
Nah.... C1PRO sucks. I use a Phase One P25+ and always export to DNG and process in something else - I did a comparison between C1PRO and simple Adobe Camera Raw, and C1PRO added artifacts that ACR did not. It is also slow, prone to hanging for unacceptable lengths of time, and has a dreadful DAM system. I have been embarrassed one to many times to have any faith in it.

And for tethering - try Phocus from Hassleblad, free and can work with Canon and Nikon, but NOT Phase One (aint competition grand....).

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I occasionally use C1 DB, with a PhaseOne back. I don't know if it's because I've used LR so long, or because the workflow truly is wonky, but I can't quite get the "hang" of it. I'm still meaning to do image comparisons (C1 and LR) but haven't to it yet.

That said, I did do some tethered shooting recently, and it does work really well. I was able to examine some fiddly work I was doing in wonderful detail as I shot. Then when I had the shots I needed I transferred the images over to LR.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
yea local edits can be done in both big packages....
I have use C1 before but sorry..it just does not match what Aperture and LR can do nowadays .. I find it confusing with weird arrangements of thevlayout..Of course that is a preference thing. Also it helps that Aperture 3 only costs 60 euros nowadays :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.