Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
As far as I know there is no full screen mode presently with Safari, but if you download the app Glims, it gives you the option in Safari menu to go full screen.

There is fullscreen safari in Lion.

I just had to install Rosetta onto Snow Leopard in order to run an old PPC game (Fallout 2) and looking into it a bit, it seems that rosetta will not come with OR be available as an option to download on Lion. So, does that mean no more PPC compatible programs?

Yes, unfortunately.

ok, I'm getting conflicting reports on this.
Can anyone please confirm/deny that QuickTime has an option to put each window on "always on top"?

Yes, you go to view-"Float on Top".

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
As far as I know there is no full screen mode presently with Safari, but if you download the app Glims, it gives you the option in Safari menu to go full screen.
Maybe you shouldn't give answers about Lion if you haven't tested it yourself? Full screen mode in Apples apps is one of the hot features.

Tim3308

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
So, you like Apple denying user's access (for all intensive purposes) to their own library folder Holder of app prefs, user brushes in Photoshop, etc. etc?

Terrible move, terrible. So the OS can ape a friggin' iPad? Gimme a break. Talk about lowest common denominator... Let Apple know.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3516963#3516963

Lafayette1834

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Airdrop

Hi! Thanks to everyone who's doing this! Quick question about Airdrop...

Are you able to run Airdrop in the background? Or do you need to have a finder window open to the Airdrop page?

Also, can computers that are not connected to wireless at all communicate via Airdrop?

Thanks so much!

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
So, you like Apple denying user's access (for all intensive purposes) to their own library folder Holder of app prefs, user brushes in Photoshop, etc. etc?

This is not exactly true. Let me try to explain some stuff that is going on.

If you have used Windows before you might notice that there is a folder in "My documents" that is hidden. Applications use it to store their data. I believe versions before W7, it was called "Application Data." On Windows 7, I believe, it's called "AppData."

If you have used any Unix system (including Linux and Mac OS X), you can find a lot of hidden files that have application configuration files (and other stuff) that are hidden in from the user. They usually reside in your home folder and their file names begin with a "." (a dot). When the first character in a file is a dot, that means it's a hidden file. Have you seen the file .DS_Store in pretty much any Mac folder? That's a hidden file used by Finder.

What Apple has done is make the library hidden. That does not mean you cannot access it. It just means that if you don't need to access it, you wont even see it. As pretty much anything in life, hidding files/folders have their pros and cons.

One of the cons is that it will take 1 or 2 extra steps to access it unless you create a shortcut to said folder or unhide it. (remember most app pref files are usually better left alone or edited only using said app)

Some pros are: A user that doesn't know what the folder is wont try to delete it, clearing all his configuration files and what not. Another pro: as most of these files are not used as much, you don't have to see them every time you are looking for stuff using finder.

If Apple has done anything wrong was to encourage developers the use of the Library folder as a dumping place for files that should be placed in a different place. (this includes fonts imo).

The best thing that can happen to the Library folder is for it to become a place where only configuration files are stored. That way, it makes transferring your configuration files to another machines fast and easy. I think with this change, Apple is now encouraging developers to only store the app prefs in the Library folder and the rest of files somewhere else.

If the folder where brushes are located is used a lot, then the better solution would be for Adobe to change the location of said file. Even if they don't, it's not hard to get into the Library folder in Lion. Probably Adobe would just post a how-to on accessing said folder.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

Photoshop stores all of its user preferences and Brushes in the Applications folder, not in the Library.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
- Is the new Quicktime Player still compatible with flip4mac? IOW, does it accept wmv files?
Same question regarding perian and mkv files.

- Can Quicktime Player X play non-mpeg4 files natively ? IOW, if you open another type of file (say avi or DV), does it launch "QTkit server"?

Thanks. :)

Tim3308

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
Photoshop stores all of its user preferences and Brushes in the Applications folder, not in the Library.

Settings are in the user library under prefs folder. Also in the user library is the "application support" folder which contains the Adobe folder for CS5 apps(and many other non adobe apps mind you). In there it is advisable to store all your user custom brushes, etc. (simply part of backing up one's user folder/data). Also if your store there, they are loaded into PS at startup in their own divided section, conveniently delineating them from stock brushes, etc.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
- Is the new Quicktime Player still compatible with flip4mac? IOW, does it accept wmv files?
Same question regarding perian and mkv files.

- Can Quicktime Player X play non-mpeg4 files natively ? IOW, if you open another type of file (say avi or DV), does it launch "QTkit server"?

Thanks. :)

Yup :) Perian works well too.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Does AirDrop shows in Finder's sidebar on your MBA?
When you click on Software in System Profiler does it show TRIM=yes?

No and No. I'm running Lion on a 2010 6-Core Westmere Pro and a 2009 27" iMac. On the iMac Airdrop is available but not on my Mac Pro.

I have an OCZ Vertex 2 on my Mac Pro and a OWC Mercury on the iMac, and "System Profiler" lists neither as being TRIM supported.

Apple mentioned TRIM support for Sandforce SSD's as the beta's are released, so hopefully it's only a matter of time. However I can not understand why Airdrop on my new Mac Pro isn't available between the iMac and Pro on the same network with sharing fully configured.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Settings are in the user library under prefs folder. Also in the user library is the "application support" folder which contains the Adobe folder for CS5 apps(and many other non adobe apps mind you). In there it is advisable to store all your user custom brushes, etc. (simply part of backing up one's user folder/data). Also if your store there, they are loaded into PS at startup in their own divided section, conveniently delineating them from stock brushes, etc.

Oh that's cool, sorry, I didn't know that! Can you tell me the exact path of where to put Brushes for example in there?

Tim3308

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
user>library>application support>adobe>adobe photoshop cs5>presets>brushes(or tools folder for user saved tool presets)

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Does mail interact any better with the M$ outlook folks?

On SL, the mail app doesn't do a very good job of rendering messages from outlook users (which is almost everyone but me at my company). Funny thing is, my iphone has always done a much better job at rending these messages from outlook. So, I was wondering if Lion is showing any promise for dealing with these message at least as well as the iOS mail seems to.

andurilukr

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
what has happened to dock expose? is it integrated with mission control, or still a separate feature? and is there any way to see minimized windows in either expose or mission control?

muffinss

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
This is not exactly true. Let me try to explain some stuff that is going on.

If you have used Windows before you might notice that there is a folder in "My documents" that is hidden. Applications use it to store their data. I believe versions before W7, it was called "Application Data." On Windows 7, I believe, it's called "AppData."

If you have used any Unix system (including Linux and Mac OS X), you can find a lot of hidden files that have application configuration files (and other stuff) that are hidden in from the user. They usually reside in your home folder and their file names begin with a "." (a dot). When the first character in a file is a dot, that means it's a hidden file. Have you seen the file .DS_Store in pretty much any Mac folder? That's a hidden file used by Finder.

What Apple has done is make the library hidden. That does not mean you cannot access it. It just means that if you don't need to access it, you wont even see it. As pretty much anything in life, hidding files/folders have their pros and cons.

One of the cons is that it will take 1 or 2 extra steps to access it unless you create a shortcut to said folder or unhide it. (remember most app pref files are usually better left alone or edited only using said app)

Some pros are: A user that doesn't know what the folder is wont try to delete it, clearing all his configuration files and what not. Another pro: as most of these files are not used as much, you don't have to see them every time you are looking for stuff using finder.

If Apple has done anything wrong was to encourage developers the use of the Library folder as a dumping place for files that should be placed in a different place. (this includes fonts imo).

The best thing that can happen to the Library folder is for it to become a place where only configuration files are stored. That way, it makes transferring your configuration files to another machines fast and easy. I think with this change, Apple is now encouraging developers to only store the app prefs in the Library folder and the rest of files somewhere else.

If the folder where brushes are located is used a lot, then the better solution would be for Adobe to change the location of said file. Even if they don't, it's not hard to get into the Library folder in Lion. Probably Adobe would just post a how-to on accessing said folder.

At least in Windows and Linux/Unix most, if not all, file managers for those platforms have a "Show hidden Files/Folders" option in the view menu. Apple does not.

I like the idea of them making it hidden, simply because it makes our home folder look cleaner, but not making it somewhat easy to view hidden files, and something like our own library folder is lame. If they don't add an option of being able to view hidden files and folders then they are indeed, going way to far with this one. Why can't they just make a "view hidden files/folders" option? Have it be able to turn off and on like in Windows/Linux/Unix file managers and have it be set to off by default and prompt the user how it could be "dangerous" if they don't know what they are doing if they turn it on. It be simple.

Last edited:

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
didn't read, but did search. doesn't seem like its been asked, or answered at least:

resolution independence???

;)

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
At least in Windows and Linux/Unix most, if not all, file managers for those platforms have a "Show hidden Files/Folders" option in the view menu. Apple does not.

I like the idea of them making it hidden, simply because it makes our home folder look cleaner, but not making it somewhat easy to view hidden files, and something like our own library folder is lame. If they don't add an option of being able to view hidden files and folders then they are indeed, going way to far with this one. Why can't they just make a "view hidden files/folders" option? Have it be able to turn off and on like in Windows/Linux/Unix file managers and have it be set to off by default and prompt the user how it could be "dangerous" if they don't know what they are doing if they turn it on. It be simple.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/developer/hiddenfiles.html

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden

Finder > Go > Go to folder > ~/Library.

feare

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Xcode 4? Any thoughts?

It was really confusing for me at first. Interface Builder and Xcode have been merged, and there are a couple minor changes that just kinda served to throw me off a little bit. Otherwise I'd say it is a nice improvement.

Lion is pretty awesome, though after a couple weeks of use the bugs have been getting at me. Here are the biggest ones at the moment:
1. Getting a MBP to sleep when put into clamshell mode takes WAY too long. It is almost instantaneous on SL but can take 10s or more on Lion.
2. Launchpad is the most bugged-up part of Lion right now. Moving apps and deleting them has serious problems.
3. Full screen apps on a dual-display set-up renders the secondary display useless.
4. I can't get flash 10 to work with Firefox 4. Safari has been improved but the ugly, blurry font is annoying the goddamn hell out of me and FF4 just has a nicer/crisper look to it.
5. Wifi must be restarted after awakening the computer from sleep

Obviously I understand this is just the developer preview. As long as I don't use Lion while my laptop is on battery power it's fine.

Otherwise, most of the new features are really slick. Probably the most notable thing about Lion is that everything is crisper and sharper, from the menubar to the apps. Noticed this on both my cinema display and my laptop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.