Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sactown

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
I entered my login name on my friends iphone so she could download a free game, and now that she has created her own itunes account, she wants to use her own account, but when she goes to download anything from the app store, my account name is already entered, and I can't seem to figure out how to enter a different acount. Any suggestions? Thanks.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
She needs to plug in her iPhone to her computer and connect it to iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and click Log In and she needs to log into her account and then sync the iPhone. After that, her account will be used for the Apps Store instead of yours.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I entered my login name on my friends iphone so she could download a free game, and now that she has created her own itunes account, she wants to use her own account, but when she goes to download anything from the app store, my account name is already entered, and I can't seem to figure out how to enter a different acount. Any suggestions? Thanks.
You have to sync her iphone to her own itunes account on a computer.

1. Open up itunes and go to the itunes store.
2. Check the email address at the upper right hand corner of the screen.
3. If this is your email address, click it and tell her to put in her own itunes login info.
4. Sync iphone.

Now her itunes info will be stored on the iphone!:cool:

patriickxxv

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2009
new iPhone user here.
i have the same question as with the thread starter, but I wonder if I sync my iPhone with a different PC, the apps that were previously installed will be erased?

steve10172

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
London UK
new iPhone user here.
i have the same question as with the thread starter, but I wonder if I sync my iPhone with a different PC, the apps that were previously installed will be erased?

Your iPhone can be "synced" to as many as 5 PCs/MACs.
No, you wont lose the apps.

patriickxxv

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2009

Thanks for that.
uhmm, anyway. How can I make an iTunes account if I don't have any credit card? As far as I know, iTunes asks for your credit card number??

phml.iphone

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010

I have the same issue. Both my wife and I have the iphone3G. She did not have an itunes acct, so I used my login and password to download apps.

You have to sync her iphone to her own itunes account on a computer.

1. Open up itunes and go to the itunes store.
2. Check the email address at the upper right hand corner of the screen.
3. If this is your email address, click it and tell her to put in her own itunes login info.
4. Sync iphone.

Now her itunes info will be stored on the iphone!:cool:

Just click on the name that is in the little silver box in the right hand corner of the iTunes Store Page. Click on Sign Out, then enter her own Apple ID and password and you both should be good to go...:cool:

She needs to plug in her iPhone to her computer and connect it to iTunes. Go to the iTunes Store and click Log In and she needs to log into her account and then sync the iPhone. After that, her account will be used for the Apps Store instead of yours.

OK...looks like a partial fix.

My wife has her own iTunes acct...and I did exactly as you 3 has said. When she download NEW apps on her iphone....her iTunes acct appears. GREAT!!! That's what we want.

BUT......

When there are updates to existing apps that needs to be downloaded to her iphone....my login appears....and its asked for my password. WHY?

Any help would be appreciated.

tolfer7

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
iPhone 4

I just got the iPhone 4 and i wanted to get an app right away so i used a different account than mine and now even when i log into my itunes account on my computer and sync it, it still uses the account that i first used. I don't know if this is something unique to the new iphone but if someone could help me out thatd be great.

tolfer7

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
I have the same issue. Both my wife and I have the iphone3G. She did not have an itunes acct, so I used my login and password to download apps.

My wife has her own iTunes acct...and I did exactly as you 3 has said. When she download NEW apps on her iphone....her iTunes acct appears. GREAT!!! That's what we want.

BUT......

When there are updates to existing apps that needs to be downloaded to her iphone....my login appears....and its asked for my password. WHY?

your login appears because your account was the one that originally downloaded the app. If you want another account to appear you will have to delete the app and download it on the account that you want, otherwise whenever there are updates it will always use your account.

rlment

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
change account on itunes store

Go to your app store app on your iphone
Tap on the featured section (bottom left)
Scroll all the way down and tap on the Account button
You can then sign out and sign back in whatever account you want

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow

BUT......

when you update an app it will ask for the password for whoever got the app, not whos iphone it is.

sallymomo

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I have this same issue and tried the acct information update via itunes store and had no luck...also noticed that the apps that I downloaded, the updates for that still shows another email address (for the person who I bought the phone from)...btw, my phone is unlocked and jailbroken...could that have any effect on this issue?

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
go to settings, store, and sign out.
then sign back in using her account. then her account name should come up when she tries to buy an app from the app store.

brucelaidlaw

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Go to your app store app on your iphone
Tap on the featured section (bottom left)
Scroll all the way down and tap on the Account button
You can then sign out and sign back in whatever account you want

Thank you, thank you!!

At last! This is what I wanted. None of the other syncing advice worked.:D

Bassel1979

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
update is not possible

Hi all,
it is good news that apps will not be lost, but when an update for one of these apps become available in app store it can't be downloaded as you will be asked to buy the app again. it dose not make sense, any idea??

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Hi all,
it is good news that apps will not be lost, but when an update for one of these apps become available in app store it can't be downloaded as you will be asked to buy the app again. it dose not make sense, any idea??
You added on to the end of a thread...what are you trying to do?

Bassel1979

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
unique

Hi all,

I have the same case but mine is unique and frustrating.
simply my email account which i use in app store has been blocked due to spams issue in hotmail and i could not retrieve it yet!!!! so I edited the itune's account to a new one but I have to buy all apps again if i want to update. this is very frustrating :mad:

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Hi all,

I have the same case but mine is unique and frustrating.
simply my email account which i use in app store has been blocked due to spams issue in hotmail and i could not retrieve it yet!!!! so I edited the itune's account to a new one but I have to buy all apps again if i want to update. this is very frustrating :mad:
What did iTunes say, when you contacted them and asked if they would make your content available to the new account?

You shouldn't have made a new account, you can easily change your email address for your account in iTunes.

Bassel1979

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
What did iTunes say, when you contacted them and asked if they would make your content available to the new account?

You shouldn't have made a new account, you can easily change your email address for your account in iTunes.

that's what I did exactly, I didn't create new account, I just modified my old account and edited the email address. eventually the owner of the apps must remain the same. I don't know if there is a possible solution, awaiting for my old email to be released.....!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.