Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HighApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Toronto
So I know this might not be a big deal for everyone but it is for me........

So after waiting at best buy for so long for the iPad 2, I didn't know I was going to come home to a dented device(not to big).

After looking at the device I noticed a dent/chip on the top of my iPad 2(on the plastic/rubber part that connects the screen and the aluminum backing.

It's not that big but still it's just doesn't look good if I ever decide to sell the device. Ever since Friday, I have been debating if I should get a displacement.

Any idea what I should do guys? Opt out for a new device and wait for a new shipment or live with it?

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Take it back to the store and ask for a replacement. If they don't have any stock, they should reserve one for you from a later shipment. Then keep your damaged iPad until they have a replacement ready.

If BB won't play ball, take it to an Apple store.

HighApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Toronto
Take it back to the store and ask for a replacement. If they don't have any stock, they should reserve one for you from a later shipment. Then keep your damaged iPad until they have a replacement ready.

If BB won't play ball, take it to an Apple store.

Yes I'm planning on going in tomorrow, and thanks for the quick response dude.

Cheers!

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
If it's a noticeable dent, you absolutely should demand a swap. I'd personally not even bother with BB though and go straight to the Apple Store. They have new iPads in the back specifically marked as replacements.

HighApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Toronto
If it's a noticeable dent, you absolutely should demand a swap. I'd personally not even bother with BB though and go straight to the Apple Store. They have new iPads in the back specifically marked as replacements.

Yes I called an apple store that's near by and a rep said that I should first call best buy because it was purchased from them and see how they handle it, if all goes bad the then bring it into apple store......

It would be a bummer if I had to wait 2 weeks for a device.

Thanks for reply, I appreciate it

Cheers!

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I've mentioned this a number of times already. I had a 32GB AT&T that arrived from Apple and they swapped it in the store. Came home to see a horrible light leaking screen. Opened at least 5-6 more in store all were bad (scratched). Gave up. Finally got a 64GB AT&T model for myself and same story with the screen, tried one more time and the unit they opened was all scuffed up.

Returned both in the end, got a 64GB 3G first gen for $529. Perfect.

Note: originally when I called apple about the 32GB that I ordered they said I'd have to wait 5 weeks for a new one and that going to the store wouldn't help. Turned up the CS rep was wrong.

HighApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Toronto
I've mentioned this a number of times already. I had a 32GB AT&T that arrived from Apple and they swapped it in the store. Came home to see a horrible light leaking screen. Opened at least 5-6 more in store all were bad (scratched). Gave up. Finally got a 64GB AT&T model for myself and same story with the screen, tried one more time and the unit they opened was all scuffed up.

Note: originally when I called apple about the 32GB that I ordered they said I'd have to wait 5 weeks for a new one and that going to the store wouldn't help. Turned up the CS rep was wrong.

Yea that's why I'm debating if I should even exchange... Next thing I know, I end up with a device that has a problem that's more worse and get trapped in a exchange cycle like u did......

Hopefully if I decide to exchange I don't end up with more problems.....

Thanks for sharing your experience, cheers!

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
mine had a tiny nick along the bottom edge. in fact the entire bottom edge was roughly finished. clearly foxconn have been under the gun to get these out the door.

HighApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Toronto
mine had a tiny nick along the bottom edge. in fact the entire bottom edge was roughly finished. clearly foxconn have been under the gun to get these out the door.

Yea your absolutely right MCDJ, but I don't think the odds are going to be so much better for the next batch of iPads...

By the way, how did u resolve your issue? Or did u jus decide to live with it?

Cheers!

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Mine has a nick the size of a pinhead near the USB port. I know it's not from me because you can see the paint and everything still in the pinhead. I've also got a little bit of light leakage but I'm waiting a few weeks to try and exchange it out.

EdwardMoffet

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011

I wonder if the ones you checked out in the store were previous returns that were repackaged.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
I purchased my first iPad last week, and it had a tiny dent, couple scratches on the back. Scheduled an appointment, Apple decided to give me a brand new iPad 2, and this one seems perfect, but theres a 2-3 inch scratch in the middle, also the new one seems to suffer from light bleeding on the bottom also. I'll hold on for now, and see if I'll get anymore problems.

HighApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Toronto
I purchased my first iPad last week, and it had a tiny dent, couple scratches on the back. Scheduled an appointment, Apple decided to give me a brand new iPad 2, and this one seems perfect, but theres a 2-3 inch scratch in the middle, also the new one seems to suffer from light bleeding on the bottom also. I'll hold on for now, and see if I'll get anymore problems.

Yea I don't want to end up with a device that's worse than mine.....

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Take it back. The only way that Apple is going to correct their currently poor quality control is if people protest by bringing back their damaged/flawed-right-out-of-the-box iPads for exchange.

HighApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Toronto
Take it back. The only way that Apple is going to correct their currently poor quality control is if people protest by bringing back their damaged/flawed-right-out-of-the-box iPads for exchange.

Yea and maybe for future products as well

xyaqubx

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
My had two small scratches and screen bleeding , so I went to Apple Store and get brand new one

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
My had two small scratches and screen bleeding , so I went to Apple Store and get brand new one

How's the new one you received from Apple? I've got the same problems on my new one, so I'll hold off till this Saturday to schedule a genius bar appointment. Or maybe even next week so that the new batches will arrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.