Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
I am using my 13" ultimate MBA and the built in webcam. Also, I am using Skype 5.1.0.914.

I am getting around 2 Mbps download and 1.7 Mbps upload.

The incoming video is ok, but not very clear. I can see who I am talking with but blurry. The picture of me down on my screen, looks perfectly clear. They say mine isn't very clear on their end though. I am not too sure how clear because I haven't seen it. When I get back home, I am going to Skype computer to computer to see how it does.

For the meantime, is this just the performance of Skype since I don't pay the $9 a month for the HD version or is something wrong? Is there anything I can do to get better incoming video.

Thanks.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
I am using my 13" ultimate MBA and the built in webcam. Also, I am using Skype 5.1.0.914.

I am getting around 2 Mbps download and 1.7 Mbps upload.

The incoming video is ok, but not very clear. I can see who I am talking with but blurry. The picture of me down on my screen, looks perfectly clear. They say mine isn't very clear on their end though. I am not too sure how clear because I haven't seen it. When I get back home, I am going to Skype computer to computer to see how it does.

For the meantime, is this just the performance of Skype since I don't pay the $9 a month for the HD version or is something wrong? Is there anything I can do to get better incoming video.

Thanks.

Skype 5.1 is buggy.. downgrade to the more stable version.. Skype 5.1 sucks...

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
It did help some. Thanks.

I ended up skyping with a friend who was on a MBP, and it was much better. Guess it all depends on the persons camera and computer speed.

HD video would be nice but not interested in paying for it. I don't use skype enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.