Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Hi,
I am trying to control my iphone 4 with a simple mouse using wifi connection (not Bluetooth).
For this purpose I am writing an iphone app that should receive the inputs from the mouse.
Can you advice how to implement the part that receives the inputs (from the mouse) via the wifi interface? Can you point me to related documentation about the wifi api?

Regards
Gil

gilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
A WiFi Mouse? Got a link? Never seen such a thing. Sure it's not Bluetooth?

yes, I know it is not something you expect to see... anyway, it is part of a final project I am doing to my studies. I really need to know how to make this mouse control my iphone - any idea?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
yes, I know it is not something you expect to see... anyway, it is part of a final project I am doing to my studies. I really need to know how to make this mouse control my iphone - any idea?

iPhones and iPads don't support mice. They don't have a curser and that's the point of a touchscreen. especially over wifi. Never heard of a wifi mouse.

mistergreen2011

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I'm just a newbie but I've seen iphone apps control wifi enabled devices and those devices send back data like video from a web cam.

Look around for a wi-fi class in the manual.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Jailbreak your iPhone/iPad and install something called BTstack mouse. If you can, modify it to support your so-called wifi mouse.

gilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I'm just a newbie but I've seen iphone apps control wifi enabled devices and those devices send back data like video from a web cam.

Look around for a wi-fi class in the manual.

Thanks a lot,
I have reviewed Air Cam app – and as you said, it transfers video using your home Wi-Fi networks. It encorages me to believe that I can transfer data to the iphone using wifi connection.
I still wonder whether apple limits the aplication to receive known formats such as video and blocks ‘row data’ receiving such as mouse commands.
I am quite new in this area – can you be more specific about “wifi class manual”?
How can I find it?
Regards
Gil

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
As Mlrollin91 mentioned, iOS doesn't implement the mouse concept. So what, exactly, are you planning on controlling via the WiFi mouse?

gilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
As Mlrollin91 mentioned, iOS doesn't implement the mouse concept. So what, exactly, are you planning on controlling via the WiFi mouse?
I'd like to deign an app that receive mouse commands and behaves accordinglly -
Do you know how to connect between iphone and wifi mouse without router around?

gilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Well, since iOS has no concept of a cursor, what do you mean by "behaves accordingly"?

Well, at first stage I'd llike to understand if I can have this direct connection - Can you please help me here? any ideas? documentatons?

Atothendrew24

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Arizona
Well, at first stage I'd llike to understand if I can have this direct connection - Can you please help me here? any ideas? documentatons?

Do you wan't to control the iPhone in a specific app or the entire system? I'm 99.9999% sure that controlling the entire system is impossible without jailbreaking.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

I'm pretty sure what you're trying to do is not possible, given what is stated in the Game Kit Programming Guide:
Peer-to-peer connectivity allows your game to create an ad-hoc Bluetooth or local wireless network between multiple iOS-based devices.

gilm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Do you wan't to control the iPhone in a specific app or the entire system? I'm 99.9999% sure that controlling the entire system is impossible without jailbreaking.

I am trying to control a specific app - maybe I was't clear about it.
The app should only receive comands from the mouse - as I start to suspect - pear to pear connection over wifi can established only between two iOS, right?
In case it is true - can I emulate such a connection when wifi network is available? wouldn't it have long delay in such a solution?

Are you suggesting that jailbroken iOS would enable me to creat pear to pear connection between iOS and non OS device?

I'm pretty sure what you're trying to do is not possible, given what is stated in the Game Kit Programming Guide:

OK - I read it - It looks like you right - in tthat case how can my iphone comunicate with itune on my windows PC over wifi? isn't a pear to pear connection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.