Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Describe the cleanliness of your smart cover

• My poly smart cover is hard to keep clean

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • My leather smart cover is hard to keep clean

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • My poly smart cover cleans up easily

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • My leather smart cover cleans up easily

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • My poly smart cover never gets dirty

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • My leather smart cover never gets dirty

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Compared to the iPad 1 case, my smart cover is immaculate!

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Other (see comments)

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
I was just reading in another thread about how all the smart covers are too light (other than black) and get dirty - even the (relatively dark) leather ones. Have those of you who've owned and used smart covers for a week or two experienced this to be true?

route42nj

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I purchased a green poly smart cover and it's been on there since March 19. So far no dirt or spots. I'm also thinking about getting a black leather too.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
I have neither an iPad 2 or smart cover yet, but I to get greater clarity on this question of being prone to show dirt with your helpful participation!

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
The inside microfiber lining is starting to look used. I, considering leather but I want brown because tan or beige look like they'll get ugly real quick.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Id think it depends a lot on how people use it too. For one that's at home a lot, it shouldn't get that dirty.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I saw the Apple demo models (a few salespeople carry them around) on the 4th day after release and they were filthy. Granted they were demos but it seems they'll look like that after a few months. Skin oils seemed to kill the leather.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I've had no issues with keeping the outside of my black leather smart cover clean. Anything just wipes off very easily.

However, yesterday I got fed up with the "horizontal stripes" which transfer from hand oils which have gotten on the microfiber interior. Actually, the stripes are areas where there is no transfer of oils and everywhere else is. So I took a washcloth in warm water and a little bit of dawn dishsoap and scrubbed away at the interior. I used a hair dryer to dry it immediately after and the problem is now gone for the time being.

msesha87

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Decatur, Illinois
Pink Smart cover

I have a pink smart cover and it collects dirt. It's nothing major but it does look a little dusty around the edges but a wet wipe does the job.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
After just two days of light use at home my red smart cover had a couple of small dark splotches. I have no idea what they were. Anyway, I rubbed it down with several applications of Lemon Pledge (furniture polish). This removed the stains. After it dried the leather has a semi-gloss finish and is just a bit darker. The way the leather soaked up multiple coats of Pledge leads me to believe that the leather wasn't treated with anything.

I am concerned that the microfibre (<- Canadian spelling, BTW) of the cover will pick up particles when it is folded behind the iPad on a flat surface. I will clean it often (with a lint roller) but mostly I just won't set it down with the microfibre out. I have been folding the cover into a triangle with the leather out (opposite from Apple's videos) and that works well. When I set the iPad down flat, I will either remove the Smart Cover or leave it open like a book.

Last edited:

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
After saying how the red leather cover was holding up, it has now started to show wear. There are noticeable scratches on the cover and the edges are darkening a bit.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
What life changing decision will you make based on the results of this elaborate poll?

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
After saying how the red leather cover was holding up, it has now started to show wear. There are noticeable scratches on the cover and the edges are darkening a bit.

That's only three days ago! What's it going to look like after three months? As much as I liked the red leather cover, I returned mine :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.