Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As covered by Photography Bay, Adobe yesterday used its keynote address at Photoshop World 2011 to briefly show off a new concept for a Photoshop app for iPad offering support for layers, a significant leap beyond the capabilities found in the company's current Photoshop Express app.

Photography Bay has also posted a brief video of the demo showing how layers can be used on the iPad.

The functionality remains a demo concept with no word on when or if it will make it to a public launch, but Adobe has openly acknowledged that it is looking at ways to support more complex Photoshop functionalities on tablets such as the iPad, and has even shown off concepts for how some of those tools might be implemented.

Article Link: Adobe Shows Off Photoshop for iPad With Layer Support

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Very cool. Though I still can't see something like this reaching its full potential without a pressure sensitive stylus.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Nice

Impressive. I for one think they have something there. Wonder how much farther they will take this. :rolleyes:

thedarkhalf

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
It may be fun for play, but I cant see anything real being done on that. Most high end photo editors wont even use a trackpad/laptop...

Now if they can make it double as a wacom for a desktop and mirror the image form the computer.. now youre talking :)

And from a user standpoint, having all menus buried and no keyboard shortcuts, you're expanding the time to edit drastically.

lloydh

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2007
London, England
To me it looks like necessary groundwork to bring this kind of functionality to touch devices, but I hope there are people out there who can create a more intuitive interface paradigm than just having a ton of dense pop-over palettes etc.

Good to see Adobe's working on this, though.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Soon we will only have one OS called iOSX

OSX 10.7 has iOS features that were sent "Back to the Mac"
iOS is getting OSX apps (Photoshop, Garage Band, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Photo Booth.......)
OSX is getting apps originally designed for iOS

If you imagine iOS and OSX on a line

iOS......................|.....................OSX

They are moving in opposite directions toward each other.

......iOS................|..............OSX.......

Eventually, they will meet in the middle and we will have either 2 similar operating systems or simply a mix of the two.

I think Apple thinks that by taking the best of the two worlds they are creating a "better" user experience. I don't know if this is the case but I think that this is clearly the inevitable long-term outcome. Time will tell.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Adobe finally made something useful on the iOS platform.

Which is kind of hard on such a restricted and limited platform. There would be more useful software for the iPad if it ran a 'real' operating system like Mac OS X -- meaning full file system access and not being tied into ONE App Store with arbitrary rules for what a program is allowed to do.

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
Does anyone else think this is a desperate attempt by Adobe to stay in the tablet game?

They're making software for a device produced by a company that wants nothing to do with them.

Does the software use Adobe's AIR?

masterkoga

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
Too novelty like

That is a nice step in the right direction. I would like to see more practical
productivity apps on the iOS platform, but even for on the go conceptual work, this is still pretty much useless for my studio. Needs precision and the touch interface is not the answer. Bring a pen/stylus or similar device to the mix and then we'll talk.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Excellent. I was waiting for photoshop on an iPad. Even if not yet released, they are getting there. Another 2 or 3 years and the iPad will be able to do 99% of everything I use my current Mac for.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

You post an article about the iPad with video that can't be viewed on an iPad? Thanks.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I wish Apple would come out with their own suite of apps. There hasn't been any competition with Adobe since CorelDraw.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Eventually, they will meet in the middle and we will have either 2 similar operating systems or simply a mix of the two.

I think Apple thinks that by taking the best of the two worlds they are creating a "better" user experience. I don't know if this is the case but I think that this is clearly the inevitable long-term outcome. Time will tell.

If anyone can do it, Apple's the company. They'll take their time, refine it, make it useful, get hardware support, etc.

So far, Microsoft's idea of touchscreen is "the finger tells the cursor where to go". Or HP overlays some terrible "Front Row"ish interface on TOP of Windows. :rolleyes:

This is probably at least 3-5 years away if at all. I'm imagining an updated second-gen iMac (sunflower style), with a big iPad-ish display that can go up down, close, far, etc. OS X with mouse when it's far, switches to a touch-optimized view when you bring it close. Or something. My imagination is probably too "inside the box" for this sort of thing.

mikeapple

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
with tens of millions of iPads sold... Adobe would be stupid not to work hard on making an intuitive powerful Photoshop app for the iPad... very Post-PCish is you ask me

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
It's cool, but totally pointless other than being used as a tech demo.

I fully expect that the control will not be fine enough on the layers / brushes, etc to be acceptable for commercial or even personal use. It's hard enough to select and erase layer parts when using a WACOM tablet on a PC or Mac... Now we do the same thing with fingerpaint precision....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.