Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaulitz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Bromsgrove
I've been using my iPhone 4 as a satnav but I find the screen too small just as I do with Tom Tom units and other stand alone units.
I bought my car last year and for the navigation equipment Audi wanted around £900 which is ridiculous.
I've seen some dual suction iPad car mounts which attach to either the window or the dash which would be great for navigation apps and for adding appointments that I receive over the phone while I'm out. Has anyone else mounted their ipad in such a way? Does it look stupidly oversized?:confused:

diacritic

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2010
Attaching to the window is unsafe (and possibly illegal; in some states even smaller gps units cannot be windshield-mounted). Your dash is different but then you're blocking the controls on your dash -- another safety hazard. Perhaps you can find something that extends over towards the passenger seat, like in police vehicles? But then you're blocking your passenger.... The hightech mod (and the most expensive) solution would be to somehow integrate the ipad into the dash and the electronics of your vehicle....

Kaulitz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Bromsgrove
The pro clip does look impressive, however I'm not too sure how confidant i would feel jamming it in to my A4 Avant since those gaps are very tight. I also use a second car a lot (a Vauxhall Corsa) so I want something that I can remove from one and place in the other.
I was looking at thisalthough it is far more basic it allows me to just attach it where I want and can be moved to another part of the car. With this i was hoping to attach it to the window and have it come down so that it covers the "infotainment" screen near the top of the dash, thus not covering up and dials or obstructing visibility.

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia

+1.

If Proclip has a mount for your vehicle(s) the mount will fit and will be a solid mount. They also sell moving clips or something that you can use to move your device from one vehicle to another, you just have to buy a vehicle mount for each. For a device that is as heavy as an iPad you really need a good mount and not a flimsy vent clip type mount or even suction, IMHO.

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
+1.

If Proclip has a mount for your vehicle(s) the mount will fit and will be a solid mount. They also sell moving clips or something that you can use to move your device from one vehicle to another, you just have to buy a vehicle mount for each. For a device that is as heavy as an iPad you really need a good mount and not a flimsy vent clip type mount or even suction, IMHO.

+1 for proclips

I've been using these for years and given them to a number of people and the experience with each and every person is that they they love, love, love them and, in turn, recommend them to anyone.

They are a little more expensive than other (flimsy and garbage) solutions that attach to a vent or with suction cup but are well, well worth it. It's also a two part solution so you can get a unique clip for a new car you purchase ad. Ten just transfer ay mounts you have.

Hands down the best solution for having just about any piece of technology (hit up their website to see the list) attached to your car.

Also -- the clip that you install into your dash SOUNDS kinda of brutal and barbaric and potentially damage inducing but I have taken several out of cars and have you to even produce as much as a scratch..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.