Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
Yes, I know that. But it doesn't say they can charge you if they "catch" you. It says that if they change anything on your contract without your permission that you can end the contract with no ETF.

And that they can terminate you for any reason at anytime.

Sounds like a win-win to me. Get out of the contract. Keep and sell the AT&T phone for $400-$500 and then use the $500 to go get a Verizon phone without a contract.

if they terminate your contract because your violated it, you still owe the ETF.

HeyItsRaymond

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
if they terminate your contract because your violated it, you still owe the ETF.

You show me where it say that. It doesn't. Provide a link if you find it.
We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUMMARY, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE'LL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.

If you lose your eligibility for a particular rate plan, we may change your rate plan to one for which you qualify.

manman

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
you aren't really stealing service since tethering is not an at&t service, it's a function built into the device. I still can't see clearly what part of this is "stealing", but I get the contract violation part.

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
But it would not be "illegal" or "unethical" to use only one box and a splitter and run a cable from that single box to multiple TV's in the house. Or to move the box from room to room depending on which TV you were watching at the time.

You are paying for one box and only using one box. You can only watch the same channel in each room at a time, but it's the same concept.

it's not the same concept because moving the box or splitting the signal coming out of the box is allowed. They even have multiple signals coming out of the box so you can send them multiple places from the single receiver. You aren't stealing service doing this, you are using the service as intended.

That's completely different than stealing the services of tethering.

If they had reasonable expectations that people would use between 1GB-2GB a month then they should never have offered the Unlimited Plan and started with a 2 GB plan. Sorry they miscalculated.

The never offered unlimited data that includes tethering, they only offered unlimited data that prohibits tethering. The only miscalculation was to expect their customers to not steal service from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio

That doesn't apply to this case. They aren't changing anything, they are holding you to your end of the contract, which says you can't tether. If you are terminated for breaking the contract, you still pay the ETF.

HeyItsRaymond

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
That doesn't apply to this case. They aren't changing anything, they are holding you to your end of the contract, which says you can't tether. If you are terminated for breaking the contract, you still pay the ETF.

The bogus "warning text and email" did not say they would terminate your contract. They said they'd auto enroll you in a different plan. Which they can do but

We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time.........AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.

I understand that not everyone has taken contract law classes and knows how to wade thorough the legal b.s. but it's pretty clear.

it's not the same concept because moving the box or splitting the signal coming out of the box is allowed. They even have multiple signals coming out of the box so you can send them multiple places from the single receiver. You aren't stealing service doing this, you are using the service as intended.

That's completely different than stealing the services of tethering.

Really, well then the argument could be that we are using a feature built into the iPhone and using it as intended by the manufacturer. This is why the copyright office agreed that jailbreaking is legal, because you are just accessing additional features on your phone and they also determined that you cannot be told what you can and cannot access and use on a device you own.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

Your quote doesn’t cover the scenario you describe - it covers AT&T changing their terms of service. Which makes sense, if AT&T changes terms, you should be able to have an out should you not agree to the new terms. However the reverse would not apply because legally you cannot offer up new terms - there is nothing you can negotiate since AT&T is the gate holder.

HeyItsRaymond

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
The never offered unlimited data that includes tethering, they only offered unlimited data that prohibits tethering. The only miscalculation was to expect their customers to not steal service from them.

I'm going to dig up my first contract for the iPhone 1 when I had AT&T and I bet "tethering" isn't mentioned because it wasn't really an option at the time so it never explicitly allowed it or explicitly prohibited it.

Next B.S. argument.

Your quote doesn’t cover the scenario you describe - it covers AT&T changing their terms of service. Which makes sense, if AT&T changes terms, you should be able to have an out should you not agree to the new terms. However the reverse would not apply because legally you cannot offer up new terms - there is nothing you can negotiate since AT&T is the gate holder.

No, it says that they cannot change rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services. So basically, if they change ANYTHING then you can cancel.

If english your second language? Because the first sentence clearly states that they can change anything they want whenever they want but later in the paragraph it states that if they do you can terminate your contract without any penalty.

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
The bogus "warning text and email" did not say they would terminate your contract. They said they'd auto enroll you in a different plan. Which they can do but

I understand that not everyone has taken contract law classes and knows how to wade thorough the legal b.s. but it's pretty clear.

it's pretty clear that the customer initiated the change in plans by choosing to tether. It's quite clearly stated that tethering requires a plan change and the associated monthly fee.

If AT&T changed someone who hasn't already broken their plan to either the tethering plan or a capped plan, then they could certainly terminate without paying the fee. But that's not the case here.

No, it says that they cannot change rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services. So basically, if they change ANYTHING then you can cancel.

If english your second language? Because the first sentence clearly states that they can change anything they want whenever they want but later in the paragraph it states that if they do you can terminate your contract without any penalty.

but they didn't change anything, you did. They even give you the option of not changing by returning to following the terms you agreed to. If you don't, you have changed plans. They certainly would be within their rights to retroactively bill you under the tethering plan from the day you first broke your contract and started tethering.

I'm going to dig up my first contract for the iPhone 1 when I had AT&T and I bet "tethering" isn't mentioned because it wasn't really an option at the time so it never explicitly allowed it or explicitly prohibited it.

Next B.S. argument.

I'm not sure that matters either way unless you still using that EDGE only iPhone. Certainly you have since upgraded to a subsidized phone which required signing your current two year agreement.

HeyItsRaymond

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona

Original AT&T Terms of Service for the Original iPhone (Circa 2007) is located here": http://www.apple.com/legal/iphone/us/terms/service_att.html

Now show me where it prohibits tethering? Oh, it doesn't? How strange.

Contract Law 101, anything not explicitly stated or prohibited is allowed. Especially when you can legally JB your phone to access additional options.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

You do not understand my point. If you tether, you are changing the terms. Not AT&T. You are arguing the exact same thing I am.

They are (and can) define different things at different parts of their plans. The first scenario likely defines actions that they can do if you violate. The second scenario covers their changes.

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
Original AT&T Terms of Service for the Original iPhone (Circa 2007) is located here": http://www.apple.com/legal/iphone/us/terms/service_att.html

Now show me where it prohibits tethering? Oh, it doesn't? How strange.

Contract Law 101, anything not explicitly stated or prohibited is allowed. Especially when you can legally JB your phone to access additional options.

all it says one way or the other about it is

you will be billed according to your data plan

You didn't include the terms of your data plan.

Here. I'll save you some time

"Furthermore, plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/smartphone to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose."

HeyItsRaymond

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
From 2007 Original iPhone Terms of Service:

"You agree that you will not make any modifications to the Equipment or programming to enable the Equipment to operate on any other system. "

This was found to be an illegal and unenforceable policy by the US Copyright office.Users can modify the device as they see fit.

Where does it mention data services at all in the Original Terms of Service back when they offered Unlimited Data? It doesn't mention them in detail at all.

It's pretty clear that the customer initiated the change in plans by choosing to tether. It's quite clearly stated that tethering requires a plan change and the associated monthly fee.

Another invalid argument. In order to change a plan, the customer needs to explicitly state that they wish to change the plan, in writing and therefore sign another Terms of Service.

If not, AT&T could the customer initiated a change from a low 2GB plan to a higher plan simply because they went over 2GB a few times.

"Furthermore, plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/smartphone to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose."

That's from the current Terms of Service. Not the 2007 TOS when they offered unlimited data. That was the Full TOS from 2007.

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
Another invalid argument. In order to change a plan, the customer needs to explicate state that they wish to change the plan, in writing and therefore sign another Terms of Service.

If not, AT&T could the customer initiated a change from a low 2GB plan to a higher plan simply because they went over 2GB a few times.

no they can't, they can just charge for the extra data like the agreement says.

The agreement says

Data plan for iPhone is required for the life of your iPhone service and cannot be removed in the future.

and

Furthermore, plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/smartphone to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

So you've agreed both that your plan doesn't allow tethering and that you have to be on a data plan. If you tether, you have to be on a data plan that allows tethering. By tethering, you've made the change.

That's from the current Terms of Service. Not the 2007 TOS when they offered unlimited data. That was the Full TOS from 2007.

no, the TOS you quoted referred to the dataplan, You haven't posted the TOS of the dataplan. And, like I said earlier, unless you are still using the original EDGE iPhone 1, you have agreed to new TOS when you bought the newer, subsidized one. The one that has the ETF associated with it.

your plan isn't "specifically designated for tethering usage", when you got your current iPhone, you agreed to TOS that said both that you can't tether without a plan like that and that you agree to have a data plan for the life of your service. You are grandfathered into the dataplan, but not to the TOS. You agree to new TOS each time you get a new subsidized phone.

HeyItsRaymond

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
Original data plan TOS (2007) http://www.tosback.org/version.php?vid=437

And who says my phone was ever subsidized? I never said that. It's very possible that I purchased the Original,3G, 3GS and iPhone 4 outright meaning I'd be grandfathered in to both the 2007 TOS and Data Plan since you do not sign a new contract if you do not get a subsidized phone. If you don't believe me go talk to an AT&T rep at the store.

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio

And who says my phone was ever subsidized? I never said that. It's very possible that I purchased the Original,3G, 3GS and iPhone 4 outright meaning I'd be grandfathered in to both the 2007 TOS and Data Plan since you do not sign a new contract if you do not get a subsidized phone. If you don't believe me go talk to an AT&T rep at the store.

you still have to agree to the TOS to activate the phone. And if you paid full price, why are you worried about the ETF that exists to cover the cost of the subsidy?

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio

And now that you have the original data plan, you might want to read it.

CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE.

You just proved your original plan explicitly prohibits tethering.

manman

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
You do not understand my point. If you tether, you are changing the terms. Not AT&T. You are arguing the exact same thing I am.

untrue. It's still them changing the terms and plan. they can make some argument that you brought it on yourself through violating the TOS, but it's still them making the change.

As far as the ETF goes, this raymond guy just /threaded all of you with the contract snippet he posted. AT&T might still try to charge you, but as far as the contract I'd say it's right there in black and white.

S*it, I just checked my work email today...I stole from AT&T :(

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
Who said I was worried about the ETF?

you did when you brought it up by saying

Sounds like a win-win to me. Get out of the contract. Keep and sell the AT&T phone for $400-$500 and then use the $500 to go get a Verizon phone without a contract.

you claim to know contract law, but apparently don't actually read the contracts. The last one you posted proves you were wrong.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
As Alandail noted, the tethering prohibition is part of the data plan TOS. It has nothing to do with the voice plan as it is not applicable.

Nobody who currently has an AT&T iPhone with a data plan has not agreed to this.

I have an original iPhone on the original iPhone data plan, and I can not contractually tether on that.

I would also add Raymond is wrong on the termination issue as well. The point he quoted is if they change the terms and terminate you, you can get out of the ETF.

If you violate the contract, you do not get out of the ETF.

Raymond, your understanding of contracts is very naive. Saying that anything not explicitly listed in a contract is valid is absolutely not correct.

Do you also believe that people who are smart enough to simply clear their cache and therefore circumvent the 'paywall' at NYTimes.com are also super criminals that are causing undue harm to all the other people that view that website?

Not super criminals but criminals none the less. How could you not consider that a crime? That is really odd.

If someone sells something and you circumvent their systems to steal it for free, how is that not a crime? It is disconcerting that lack of morals that people seem to have these days.

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This age old topic is still going on?

Here isnthe truth. Tethering without an AT&T plan is not illegal but it is a breachnin the Terms of Service you signed.

Therefor your service could be terminated at any time or you could be well charge the appropiate plans.

That's it. End of discussion.

Now as per why AT&T is no tracking us, well that's a whole new dilemma. Maybe they got tired of free riders on their network. Or perhaps they could never well detect before when you tethered and they now can.

Who knows.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
If someone sells something and you circumvent their systems to steal it for free, how is that not a crime? It is disconcerting that lack of morals that people seem to have these days.

Circumvent? These people have PAID for X amount of data per month. YOU seem to be suggesting that they do not deserve to actually receive the data they PAID for and insist they are "stealing" it. I don't think you even know the definition of "morals". :rolleyes:

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
AT&T might consider something similar to this :

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/04/03/1642237/Pirated-Android-App-Shames-Freeloaders?from=twitter

For those who steal tethering from them.

Unlikely:) ( but a little bit funny)

Seriously just pay for the data people...yikes. If the NYT puts up a paywall pay for the Times. If you do not like it buy something something else.

And whomever said checking work email on personal plan is in violation of the TOS is being silly. Work is personal. Personal is work. They have no interest in keeping you from your email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.