Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
While the forums are going nutz with all the ordering I am going to ask this.

1. I have iPad1 and just purchased iPad2. What is the best method of getting all the apps purchased, etc over to new iPad2?

2. Once this happen, the iPad1 has been sold, how to I ensure it is wiped and is able to be sold so thye can use it in iTunes under their own account?

Thanx a bunch!!!

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Just use iTunes to transfer the purchases, sync, and backup the iPad 1. Then restore the iPad 2 from the backup. There is an option in settings to erase all content once you are sure you have everything moved over.

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Just use iTunes to transfer the purchases, sync, and backup the iPad 1. Then restore the iPad 2 from the backup. There is an option in settings to erase all content once you are sure you have everything moved over.

When you "restore" from the backup of the ipad1 to the ipad2 does that bring any garbage along with it?

You can't just tell iTunes to install all the same apps?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
When you "restore" from the backup of the ipad1 to the ipad2 does that bring any garbage along with it?

You can't just tell iTunes to install all the same apps?

If you just want to have the same apps then you need to be sure all the apps are listed in iTunes. You can either sync it or right click on it and hit transfer purchases. Then you can sync the new device and the apps will be copied to it. Just skip the step about restoring from backup and all your apps will be there. You can choose the option to set up as a new iPad. Of course you won't have any data that you have saved from the apps on the nwe device.

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
If you just want to have the same apps then you need to be sure all the apps are listed in iTunes. You can either sync it or right click on it and hit transfer purchases. Then you can sync the new device and the apps will be copied to it. Just skip the step about restoring from backup and all your apps will be there. You can choose the option to set up as a new iPad. Of course you won't have any data that you have saved from the apps on the nwe device.

Oh, so if do do a backup and restore, then say all the scores I have in Angry Birds would be gone. If I transfer I will get the game transfered but lose the game data as an example.

Is there any risk with doing a restore? Garbage coming across, stuff that is not needed?

What about Bookmarks?

thank you for taking the time to answer.

Kenal0

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
If you want to keep angry birds score then backup and restore.
It will basically make ipad2 look exactly like ipad1

Kenal0

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
If you back up and restore pretty much everything will be transfered over. Some people have mentioned a concern about garbage being carried over, but I don't think it is anything to be worried about. I haven't set up my phone as new since 2007.
The only thing that I can think of that isn't saved when you backup and restore are e-mail and WiFi passwords.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I've beaten Infinity Blade and am on my second go around remastering all my items. If I can't restore that onto my iPad 2, its going back!!! :cool:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I've beaten Infinity Blade and am on my second go around remastering all my items. If I can't restore that onto my iPad 2, its going back!!! :cool:

As long as you do a backup and restore you won't lose any saved game data. I certainly wouldn't want to lose any of my data either!

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
So looking like my new iPad will be here tomorrow.

Anyway to keep sames apps on iPad1 and the iPad2?

I have iTunes on PC and on a Mac. usign same itunes account.

Last edited:

guitardogcar

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
wisco
To wipe your iPad1, make sure to use iTunes to restore to factory settings. That is the ONLY way to clear everything.

To keep your app data, I agree with the posts that say just restore from backup to keep you scores and passwords.

I prefer a clean machine, so losing scores is no big deal. Remember to use the same computer you are sync'd to currently if you want your data...

...or transfer all the apps, pictures, etc to the other computer...and lose the data associated.

iPads sync photos between, but not really anything else. The computer is still a leash. iPads stay loyal to that leash or get reformatted...at least in my humble understanding.

Peace, and feedback will only help this thread...I had similar questions till I read a bit.

Gdc

gunthermic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
I wasnt clear enough. I want everything to stay on the iPad1 and copy all apps to iPad2 as well? cant that be done?

Even if I lose scores, no biggie. iPad1 has always sync'ed with PC, but now that i have 1200 some movies on the Mac, want the iPad2 to be connected to Mac... but shouldnt have to re-buy the apps.

guitardogcar

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
wisco
You should be able to transfer the files between libraries. You can do this easily Mac to Mac, but I assume it can be done cross platform. Sound like all you need to do is sync...

You can own as any iOS devices as you please. We have 3 iPhones (a 3G as an iPod) and 2 iPads on one account. Kinda nice of Apple...no finagling needed.

gl,

gdc

jluke

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
I'm trying to backup my iPad1 (64/3G) and restore it to a new iPad2 (64/3G).
On my "1" I've about 9GB of photos/videos and 35GB of applications (a lot). Among the many apps, I've even some 'business' apps not downloaded from the AppStore, but as custom/developer installs.

When I backup the iPad1, it works flawlessy (except from the long time... and I correctly ticked the "sync apps" - I see the apps copied in my PC folder), but when I try restoring to the new iPad2 I only get the 9GB of photos, the wallpaper, but NOT a single of the old apps has been restored.
Already tried 3 times, same results.
First two times were done with both devices with fw 4.3, latest one with 4.3 on ipad1 and 4.3.1 on ipad2. iTunes is the last version.
Any ideas? Many thanks in advance!

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I'm trying to backup my iPad1 (64/3G) and restore it to a new iPad2 (64/3G).
On my "1" I've about 9GB of photos/videos and 35GB of applications (a lot). Among the many apps, I've even some 'business' apps not downloaded from the AppStore, but as custom/developer installs.

When I backup the iPad1, it works flawlessy (except from the long time... and I correctly ticked the "sync apps" - I see the apps copied in my PC folder), but when I try restoring to the new iPad2 I only get the 9GB of photos, the wallpaper, but NOT a single of the old apps has been restored.
Already tried 3 times, same results.
First two times were done with both devices with fw 4.3, latest one with 4.3 on ipad1 and 4.3.1 on ipad2. iTunes is the last version.
Any ideas? Many thanks in advance!
First make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. As long as the iPad 1 back up is the same or older version of the iPad 2's firmware you should be able to restore the iPad 2 from the iPad 1 backup. I did this when I upgraded from my old to new iPad.

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Go can do it straight from the iPad by going to settings>general>reset>erase all contents and settings. But make sure you've got everything you want to keep on the computer!

jluke

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
First make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. (...)

Thanks Coleman, but... yes, it's already the last one.

Update: before the 4th try... I rebooted XP and - finally - didn't work again, but something different happened: iTunes told me (115 warnings... all my apps) that the "XYZ app was not installed on the iPad because the app could not be found".

This seems strange to me 'cos I've in my PC the folder with all the apps backed up yesterday from my iPad1 (the app timestamp on the PC is correctly the same of the backup, it's not anything old - except from the oldest apps). As an unique note... I've changed (time ago) the standard iTunes backup folder from my PC to the home NAS ('cos I've even an iPhone and cannot manage to have 60GB of my laptop HDD lost in backups...).

jluke

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Maybe I've understood: some time ago, before moving the "iTunes Media Folder location" from C: to my home NAS, I manually deleted (to save space from my C drive that was FULL) some apps (.ipa files) from the iTunes "Mobile Applications" folder, thinking that iTunes would have backed them up again on the new NAS folder.
Instead... it seems that iTunes doesn't check the .ipa files stored in the new NAS folder and think that the old .ipa are still present in the old C drive, therefore not backing them up again in the new folder.
As I've manually deleted the "Mobile Applications" folder on my C drive, probably iTunes thinks this folder is still in place and doesn't backup the oldest apps that were stored only there and not in the new one.

--> Does anybody know how to force iTunes backup again ALL the apps from scratch?
(obviously I've deleted the old backups, but deleting the old backups does not delete, nor touch the ipa files)

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Maybe I've understood: some time ago, before moving the "iTunes Media Folder location" from C: to my home NAS, I manually deleted (to save space from my C drive that was FULL) some apps (.ipa files) from the iTunes "Mobile Applications" folder, thinking that iTunes would have backed them up again on the new NAS folder.
Instead... it seems that iTunes doesn't check the .ipa files stored in the new NAS folder and think that the old .ipa are still present in the old C drive, therefore not backing them up again in the new folder.
As I've manually deleted the "Mobile Applications" folder on my C drive, probably iTunes thinks this folder is still in place and doesn't backup the oldest apps that were stored only there and not in the new one.

--> Does anybody know how to force iTunes backup again ALL the apps from scratch?
(obviously I've deleted the old backups, but deleting the old backups does not delete, nor touch the ipa files)
It sounds like you might have missing parts of itunes. I would try doing a full reinstall of itunes. Then resynch and rebackup your devices then try doing a restore from backup.

jluke

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
It sounds like you might have missing parts of itunes. I would try doing a full reinstall of itunes. Then resynch and rebackup your devices then try doing a restore from backup.

The problem - effectively - is that if I look at the APPS tab in iTunes (where I sync 1 iPad and 1 iPhone) I can see that several apps installed in the iPad on the right pane (where you can even see the screen positions) are NOT listed even in the left pane (about 100 out of the 276 currently installed in the ipad).

I would "simply" desire that iTunes check that the left pane is a SUPERSET of the right pane, eventually addind the .ipa files it doesn't find in the HDD...

Reinstalling everything would be a mess, having more devices (even for the music files I've always manually managed).

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
The problem - effectively - is that if I look at the APPS tab in iTunes (where I sync 1 iPad and 1 iPhone) I can see that several apps installed in the iPad on the right pane (where you can even see the screen positions) are NOT listed even in the left pane (about 100 out of the 276 currently installed in the ipad).

I would "simply" desire that iTunes check that the left pane is a SUPERSET of the right pane, eventually addind the .ipa files it doesn't find in the HDD...

Reinstalling everything would be a mess, having more devices (even for the music files I've always manually managed).
Have you tried right clicking on the iPad and selecting transfer purchased apps? That would move any apps installed on the iPad and not listed in iTunes into your iTunes apps folder.

jluke

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Have you tried right clicking on the iPad and selecting transfer purchased apps? That would move any apps installed on the iPad and not listed in iTunes into your iTunes apps folder.

Yes, but... nothing different :-(
What I've strangely understood is that the restore process doesn't install my former 276 apps, but it installs about 9GB of data... that is the 276 apps specific data! So that if I reinstall GoodReader from scratch, for instance, where I saved tens of big documents on my old ipad1, I can see again all those docs on the ipad2!
Bah, quite strange!

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US

I tried that ... it did not bring but one folder and one app in it ... it reported no errors ... but when the sync was over ... I had only 2 or three apps out of 240 apps that were on the iPad 1.

????

anyone else have this experience?

Does having an iPad 1 approved for beta testing apps cause the sync to break when that app comes up to be sync-ed?

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm seeming to have the same problem as some posters have mentioned where it's giving me photos/music/movies but none of the apps are coming over. I've never changed where this stuff syncs to my MBP, so it's all in the original place that Apple chose to let it sync to. The ONLY thing I didn't do first is update the iPad2 to 4.3. My iPad1 is 4.3. I'm downloading the update now and will try again after it's done.

As a side note, I'm kind of worried since I did a "restore from backup" and didn't get any apps that if I sync my iPad1 again, it will remove all my apps.

I do have one quick question though: if I end up having to re-download all my apps, how do I go about downloading for free and app that I already paid for? I have never done this.

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Go can do it straight from the iPad by going to settings>general>reset>erase all contents and settings. But make sure you've got everything you want to keep on the computer!
543.jpg

or you'll be like OOOOH NOOOOOOOOO

I KNOOOOOOOOOOOW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.