Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
I'm about to get my iPad 2 (well hopefully within a month!! I've been already waiting for a month!). I'd like to get a GPS app for it for navigating U.S. and Canada. What is one of the best GPS (with offline maps) for the iPad 2?

For one, I do know that Garmin's GPS app for the iPad does not have offline maps. That seems really stupid to me.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Garmin does not make navigation app for iPad.

There are really only 2 apps for iPad, CoPilot Live HD North America ($29.99 + $9.99 for 1-year traffic) and NAVIGON North America ($59.99 + $19.99 for life-time traffic).

CoPilot Live HD was on sale for $19.99 last November and NAVIGON goes on sale several times a year (see AppShopper), sometimes as low as $29.99.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I have only NAVIGON so I can't speak for CoPilot HD. (You can look at an old thread that compares both.) I've tried CoPilot Live Directions (an iPhone app), which includes free 30-day trial, and frankly, I was put off by funky UI and poor map quality (in San Francisco San Jose area).

That said, NAVIGON's UI is also a mess, just not nearly as much. Many of the features are buried and poorly documented. Still, both the map and routing are very good and optional lifetime traffic is also more up-to-date than other apps that I've used (it does tend to suggest "******" route from time-to-time, taking an exit ramp then re-enter the highway to bypass some traffic). The app is also a bit slow and map tends to freeze once in awhile (need to flick your finger around the map to refresh).

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Motion X GPS for iPad has offline maps and is made for things like hiking, I'd say just not useful as navigation on streets. I don't have it for iPad but I have the iPhone version, it works great. Check it out in iTunes.

anfield11

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I have Navigon and use it in Ontario and like it a lot, but Nutmac has some valid points, although it's never frozen for me. Once you have the route in and are rolling I find it very good. Mines on an iPhone 4.

MacMojo1

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2006
Garmin does not make navigation app for iPad.

There are really only 2 apps for iPad, CoPilot Live HD North America ($29.99 + $9.99 for 1-year traffic) and NAVIGON North America ($59.99 + $19.99 for life-time traffic).

CoPilot Live HD was on sale for $19.99 last November and NAVIGON goes on sale several times a year (see AppShopper), sometimes as low as $29.99.

uhhh, no, Garmin does in fact make an app for the iphone tat works with a gps-enable ipad. Check the appstore

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
uhhh, no, Garmin does in fact make an app for the iphone tat works with a gps-enable ipad. Check the appstore

Although iPhone apps work in iPad (via 2X mode), including Garmin Street Pilot, it's still not an iPad app.

MartyXB

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Although iPhone apps work in iPad (via 2X mode), including Garmin Street Pilot, it's still not an iPad app.

I beg to differ, if one is looking for a navigation App one first and foremost wants an accurate app that *RUNS* on he iPad. Obviously one optimized for the iPad will have features that give it an edge but to completely not include perfectly functional packages is to do a disservice.

I bought the TomTom app which I like very much. I like the fact that it also works on my iPod Touch (via a cradle that had GPS built in).

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
In a quick look at GPS navigation apps for the iPad, I noticed that TomTom and Garmin both do not offer the "native" iPad app. They offer it for iPhone/iPod touch. Seems to me that of the big GPS navigation companies, only Navigon provides "native" iPad app support.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
Do u guys find the iPad inconvenient for a gps due to it's size?

Depends on how you use it. I don't own a car and rather bike, walk, and commute on the bus. I don't find the iPad 2 inconvenient for carrying around when I'm walking around. I haven't used it as a turn-by-turn GPS though. I'd imagine as a walking navigation tool it would be lovely.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I beg to differ, if one is looking for a navigation App one first and foremost wants an accurate app that *RUNS* on he iPad. Obviously one optimized for the iPad will have features that give it an edge but to completely not include perfectly functional packages is to do a disservice.
Your argument is not wrong, especially (1) if you plan on using the app for both iPhone/iPod touch as well as iPad and (2) selection of universal/iPad-only navigation apps leave much to be desired.

But I find NAVIGON (which is universal) to be quite good, enough to not want to purchase non-native app anyway.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
Does Navigon has signle app. for both iPhone and iPad and you have to purchase 2 times for iPad and iPhone?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Does Navigon has signle app. for both iPhone and iPad and you have to purchase 2 times for iPad and iPhone?

NAVIGON is a universal app (indicated by small "+" symbol on the purchase button), which means it runs on both iPhone/iPod touch and iPad.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Navigon is best of the best, period. It's not the cheapest and not necessarily the most visually stunning but it is the best navigator out there. It does have a native iPad interface which most do not. The only other one I know is MotionX GPS HD but it has a big flaw - it won't run on WiFi-only iPads. That one also requires a subscription (it's cheap, but still) and requires a constant data connection. Navigon stores all the maps on device and can work without a data connection.

Aibolit66

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
NH, USA
I do not have an Ipad yet, but I am really happy with Tomtom on my old Dell Axim pda and it does a great job in US and also Western Europe

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Navfree? It's free, universal (one version for all iOS devices) and is offline. There are localized versions which take up less space but has less maps (i.e. only maps for California, Germeny, UK, etc.).

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
Navigon is best of the best, period. It's not the cheapest and not necessarily the most visually stunning but it is the best navigator out there. It does have a native iPad interface which most do not. The only other one I know is MotionX GPS HD but it has a big flaw - it won't run on WiFi-only iPads. That one also requires a subscription (it's cheap, but still) and requires a constant data connection. Navigon stores all the maps on device and can work without a data connection.

Thanks. I'll check out Navigon. It's been on my list.

However, I wonder why you say the big flaw with MotionX is that it doesn't run on the Wifi-only iPads. These types of iPads do not have GPS and so it makes no sense to have a GPS programme running on it! GPS function is built into the cellular chip that only 3G versions of the iPad has. Wifi-only iPads do not have the GPS chip.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Single purchase

I asked Navigon this question when I was waiting for my iPad2 to leave Lantau Island. You do not need to pay twice. And in fact, as I had purchased it for my iPhone when I plugged in my iPad2, Navigon and NavAssist downloaded automatically. I've removed them for now as I only got the 16GB (actually 14 GB) iPad2 and Navigon itself uses almost 2GB. I can't figure out a safe way of mounting it in my car and my iPhone does well with Navigon sitting in the Magellan car mount.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Thanks. I'll check out Navigon. It's been on my list.

However, I wonder why you say the big flaw with MotionX is that it doesn't run on the Wifi-only iPads. These types of iPads do not have GPS and so it makes no sense to have a GPS programme running on it! GPS function is built into the cellular chip that only 3G versions of the iPad has. Wifi-only iPads do not have the GPS chip.

It's a big flaw because the Wi-Fi iPads are perfectly capable of GPS. I tether mine to my iPhone 4 fairly often and it receives accurate GPS data just the same as if it were a 3G iPad. Navigon works fine even on the Wi-Fi models, as well it should.

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
iPad GPS

Here is a great free one. Waze.

It is a social GPS program. User provide up to the minute traffic reports, speed traps, etc. Also learns of new or closed roads from users.:cool:

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
The iPad only has GPS on the 3G model. Wi-Fi only iPads simulate GPS by using Skyhook type positioning by triangulating based on supposed Wi-Fi router locations.

It looks like a Wi-Fi only iPad is using real GPS (reading the signal from the GPS satellites) but it's not. Accuracy isn't anywhere close to real GPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.