Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I returned mine after 2 weeks to Best Buy. It was starting to gather dust terribly and it might have been 'just me,' but it seemed like the magnets were starting to get weaker. It was also not laying flat as well.

Edit: I got a Colcasac sleeve and I'm waiting on a Portenzo :)

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
I hate it with passion. Too bad I couldn't return it. Will probably gift it to my mum who wants an iPad as well. Ordered an STM Skinny instead.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
The light gray color is getting a little smudged, but I work outside. Doesn't bother me a bit and I love the smart cover. Uncover, work, cover. Make money.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Those images are consistent with what I thought would happen. Maybe the leather versions will be better but the constant folding create areas of extra wear. Handling it causes the cover to get dirt and crap on it.

I wasn't impressed with the design, look and implementation of the smart cover, and time will tell how they hold up. it seems though its not pretty after a month, never mind 6 months

jdcell100

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
I might be dumb

But was I the only one who didn't know that when you fold your smart cover back in like a triangle pull it off yr iPad and use it to clean ur screen it works fantastic anybody else try this

firteen888

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
Mine has gotten extremely dirty and worn (black leather) and I've hardly even used it much. At this point I've just removed it from my ipad alltogether.....wish I could return it.

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
to be honest - i kinda expected this would happen and i didnt want to purchase one in the first place. god damn cute girl at apple! i didnt have the power to say no! :(
so i am stuck with a smart cover!

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Red leather one has held well at about 2 weeks. I decided to buy a gray neoprene one yesterday. I may by more and change them around as the mood strikes me.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Just perfect. The black leather cover is as new the day I bought it.

+1. My black leather looks great also. I use my ipad all the time and never remove the smart cover. I just applied Meltonian leather conditioner a couple of days ago and will do so about once a month to preserve.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
Yup, mine is dirty already, but I don't mind- after all, it's there as protection so the iPad stays in mint condition...not so worried about the cover....

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
But was I the only one who didn't know that when you fold your smart cover back in like a triangle pull it off yr iPad and use it to clean ur screen it works fantastic anybody else try this

Ha! I just tried it and it really does work! I never knew either!!!
Thanks for this tip pal.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
My black leather one is looking a little worn, but it looks nice due to the colour/feel combo.

However, the right hinge (when held in landscape) is not flat against the iPad back anymore, and is slightly crooked when folded into typing mode. Not a huge deal, still works fine, yet another sign of wear.

2 Owls

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
My black leather smart cover is perfect so far, I've given it a coat of liquid leather and it's even softer than before now, the folds have a nice leather creased look to them while the pannels look really clean and smooth, I knew the leather would hold up better, almost silly money but it does look great and will do so for longer.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
My black leather smart cover is perfect so far, I've given it a coat of liquid leather and it's even softer than before now, the folds have a nice leather creased look to them while the pannels look really clean and smooth, I knew the leather would hold up better, almost silly money but it does look great and will do so for longer.

+1 although I hadn't thought to apply anything like liquid leather. It's still in the natural state it came in and still looks good. I do periodically wipe the microfiber side that covers the screen - I find a moist microfiber cloth works great although I have in reserve the lint roller option. (I also clear the surface of wherever I'm rolling back the cover to use the iPad2.)

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
This also works well on the leather covers - both my tan and black have been treated. It does not dye the leather but refreshens the whole look. Rub it in with clean fingers and buff off the excess, let air dry in 2-10 min. Just like your shoes, leather needs monthly maint to look good.
6a40d11e.jpg

Last edited:

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Hehe. I saw that a couple of weeks ago, in another thread. It works a treat! Saves me taking a cloth with me.

Had my Tan leather for just over a week, and it's holding up pretty well, so far. Might get a polyurethane, for a change of pace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.