Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Manual (stick) shift cars are rare today and I'm wondering how many people still know how to drive them. How did you learn and do you have a desire to own one?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
"rare"? In what part of the world are they "rare"?

Yes, I can drive them. Both American and European.

WilliamBos

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2009
Innisfil, ON
Manual (stick) shift cars are rare today and I'm wondering how many people still know how to drive them. How did you learn and do you have a desire to own one?

I sure can. Learnt on a Massey 35 before I was 10!! My last car, a 2000 sunfire was a stick. I would not own a small auto car.back in my trucks again: I would not mind a ZF6 Dmax/8.1 truck. But those days are gone, so autos are fine for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gavinstubbs09

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I learned how to drive on a stick shift. It has been awhile since I have driven one, but I'm sure I still could.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
In many parts of the U.S. manuals are becoming less and less common. For the record I very much prefer a stick shift. More control, more power, and better fuel economy. That is, if you know how to drive them properly.

I learned how to drive one on an old gravel road. They are surprisingly easy to learn.

Reactions: satcomer

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I know how to drive a manual, but it has been ages since last time I have been in one and I wouldn't want to get in a high powered car with a manual where breaking anything will cost $$$$ due to my lack of experience in one.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I drive manuals although I won't buy them any longer as there is just too much traffic and local, stop and go driving in my routine.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Yes, I can drive manual.

My father was too cheap to buy an automatic car and the cars I could afford when I was younger were all manual.
I didn't actually start with a car. My first motor vehicle was a Yamaha 60, which was a full-sized motorcycle with a 60cc engine and a... manual transmission!

1st car= 1968 SAAB 96 with 3 cylinders and a manual transmission! It was loads of fun and sounded like nothing else except maybe a very angry snowmobile.

Nowdays, 2 of my last 3 Toyota Tercels were automatics. I wish for manual a lot as the autos are a bit sluggish and not as economical.

Have Fun,
Keri

PS. I may have a really fun manual car pretty soon.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I know how to drive a manual, but it has been ages since last time I have been in one

Same here.

I've had a flat-head Ford (stearing column shift), Chevy Cavalier, Porsche, Chevy Corvair Corsa :eek:, with some autos in between, and ever since.

When you drive to/from Toronto all the time, standard just makes no sense, now that autos are much more efficient.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
When you drive to/from Toronto all the time, standard just makes no sense, now that autos are much more efficient.

Conventional torque converter auto's still sap more power and fuel than sticks. But, with DCT's entering the market, the advantage of the manual transmission went out the window.

That has killed interest for me at least for a stick. Unless you like rowing your own gears, DCT's are the way to go. They can get the same or better in performance and fuel economy.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Sure, I learned on stick-shift and drove several years with a variety of cars and trucks, including 3-on-the-tree 1978 Suburban (manual steering, manual brakes, what a bear that was!)... never drove a double-clutch though.

Manuals - while they absolutely can be a fun riot - are losing their advantages over automatics, including fast-locking TCs and DCTs and such.

Car manufacturers have to certify each car type - if they offer an automatic and a manual, that's two different cars to the US government's eyes, and both have to be tested.

Plus, of all the major auto racing circuits, only NASCAR still uses stick shifts. That ought to tell people something...

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
i drive stick!

my 1st baby :D

5 speed manual

2007 chevy cobalt
IMAG0032.jpg

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Plus, of all the major auto racing circuits, only NASCAR still uses stick shifts. That ought to tell people something...

I'm not sure what that should tell people. None of the others have space for a traditional stick shift, and they all still use some form of manual.

Anyhow, I love driving stick. Never been to UK, so no RHD for me (not sure if I could handle that, my hands are very used to their positions in a LHD car) I love the control you have over the car, and while you can have a lot of fun with it, you can also save a good bit of gas when driven right.

lannim

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
Indiana
Of course I can, first thing I learned. How did I learn? My dad threw me the keys in two feet of snow and told me to go to the store. I'd love to still own one but my wife refuses to learn it, or doesn't have the mental capacity to so im stuck with automatics

Reactions: satcomer

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I drive manuals although I won't buy them any longer as there is just too much traffic and local, stop and go driving in my routine.

This.

I learned on a manual, and drove 20 years before acquiescing to the realities of commuting in stop and go traffic. Besides, knee on wheel, drink in one hand, and cell phone in other hand makes driving a manual impossible.

I kid.

WilliamBos

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2009
Innisfil, ON

People do it every day, It does make sense. Everything from VW, to cobalts/G5 to trucks. Small car autos are junk, and do not have the longevity of larger autos , like in trucks. If I ever own a car (not gonna happen.). It will be a handshaker, or nothing at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I learned on a stick, a one ton GMC dump truck. I've driven everything from 4 speeds to an 18 speed Fuller Roadranger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.