Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
A small headphone amp is portable and costs very little. It also makes quite a difference in sound quality, but I'm not an 'audiophile'.
I can't afford to waste / don't want to spend $200-300 on a DAC, judging by your signature you can, all about what makes you happy.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
A small headphone amp is portable and costs very little. It also makes quite a difference in sound quality, but I'm not an 'audiophile'.
I can't afford to waste / don't want to spend $200-300 on a DAC, judging by your signature you can, all about what makes you happy.

True enough, but I went the cmoy route a few years ago..it is just increasing the volume and maybe coloring your original source a bit. The "crap in/crap out" mantra is definitely a big player I think.

And cheap DACS do exist!
http://www.gadgetmac.com/gadgetmac/2011/2/17/nuforce-udac-2-portable-dac-headphone-amp.html

You can get the nuforce dacs for less than $100 in some places. A great upgrade from the cmoy - which I believe averages $30-$50 depending on opamps. I find you get a lot of artifacts if you go the mini mini route - it is best to use optical outs or at least USB outputs via DAC. That's my take on it anyway.

And as a side note - don't judge me by my signature - I work to earn the things I have.

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
True enough, but I went the cmoy route a few years ago..it is just increasing the volume and maybe coloring your original source a bit. The "crap in/crap out" mantra is definitely a big player I think.

And cheap DACS do exist!
http://www.gadgetmac.com/gadgetmac/2011/2/17/nuforce-udac-2-portable-dac-headphone-amp.html

You can get the nuforce dacs for less than $100 in some places. A great upgrade from the cmoy - which I believe averages $30-$50 depending on opamps. I find you get a lot of artifacts if you go the mini mini route - it is best to use optical outs or at least USB outputs via DAC. That's my take on it anyway.

And as a side note - don't judge me by my signature - I work to earn the things I have.
That DAC is nice, but I also use this headphone amp when I am riding my motorcycle... which wouldn't work.

I also work to afford the things I have, don't think I implied that you were financed by mommy and daddy? I implied that if you don't mind dropping ~$2500 on a computer then spending a little more on a DAC isn't a big deal.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
The portable amps are cheap and more versatile than DACs. The main reason is that it works with the line out of iPods or whatever player you may use. I have the first nuforce uDac and it worked via USB with the iPad (now you need a T3hub for portability), but it is useless with an iPod.

Also, the DAC is pretty useless without an amp. They either put them into a DAC/amp combo or you buy your DAC and get a separate amp.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
That DAC is nice, but I also use this headphone amp when I am riding my motorcycle... which wouldn't work.

I also work to afford the things I have, don't think I implied that you were financed by mommy and daddy? I implied that if you don't mind dropping ~$2500 on a computer then spending a little more on a DAC isn't a big deal.

I would be scared to use an amp on a bike - not for the obvious reasons, but one nudge of the volume knob and you can get some real hearing damage I bet.

Anyways you would think that dropping some on a dac wouldn't be a big deal - but it is since I spent all my money on the computer lol. Anyways, that would be the route I would go knowing what I know now about cmoys and dacs. I used to be into the whole audiophille scene a couple years ago, but have since sold off everything and became bare bones. If I were to get back into it, I'd save for the dac.

The portable amps are cheap and more versatile than DACs. The main reason is that it works with the line out of iPods or whatever player you may use. I have the first nuforce uDac and it worked via USB with the iPad (now you need a T3hub for portability), but it is useless with an iPod.

Also, the DAC is pretty useless without an amp. They either put them into a DAC/amp combo or you buy your DAC and get a separate amp.

I am talking about the advantages of a dac with reference to the original picture. If you are going portable, then obviously a dac is useless.

mdSt0.jpg

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
Final Audio Design -Heaven S -although not too impressed considering they are $500

m.jpg

Creek Audio has some very nice amps as well for under three hundred.

Last edited by a moderator:

-y0-

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
How do you like them? I am really thinking about buying them for when I go out.

They're really bass heavy which I like for hip hop. It's really built well, feels like it'll last forever unless a toddler or dog got a hold of it lol. For the full price of $179, they're not worth it since there's better sounding earphones for the price, but they're almost always 25-40% off with a coupon somewhere so it's worth it only with a discount. It does look pretty badass though.

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
They're really bass heavy which I like for hip hop. It's really built well, feels like it'll last forever unless a toddler or dog got a hold of it lol. For the full price of $179, they're not worth it since there's better sounding earphones for the price, but they're almost always 25-40% off with a coupon somewhere so it's worth it only with a discount. It does look pretty badass though.
I also have the beats but I hate wearing them outside of my house. I know I am paying for the looks partly. I found a coupon too. Thanks for telling me about the bass since I listen to hip hop and dubstep mainly.

-y0-

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
I also have the beats but I hate wearing them outside of my house. I know I am paying for the looks partly. I found a coupon too. Thanks for telling me about the bass since I listen to hip hop and dubstep mainly.

I like how everything on it is made of metal and the cable is kevlar reinforced, I only got 25% off when I got it, wish I would've waited for the 40% off lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.