Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Command-Option-Control-Click on the icon you want to disappear immediately. (I have no idea why the **** I thought to try this.)

Dropping an app icon from the Finder onto the Launchpad icon in the Dock will add the app to Launchpad.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Command-Option-Control-Click on the icon you want to disappear immediately. (I have no idea why the **** I thought to try this.)

Dropping an app icon from the Finder onto the Launchpad icon in the Dock will add the app to Launchpad.

Thank you! I was trying loads of random keys last night, thinking, ahh Apple won't make me press more than 3 keys! ;-)

RcktMan77

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
That works for individual apps, but how do you remove pre-existing folders? I've tried removing the individual apps from the folder itself, but ended up with just an empty folder that I can't get rid of.

Reactions: Daini42

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
That works for individual apps, but how do you remove pre-existing folders? I've tried removing the individual apps from the folder itself, but ended up with just an empty folder that I can't get rid of.

I had that problem, but this worked for me.
Drag an app into the folder on launchpad, then drag it out again. That got rid of the folder for me.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Bug as expected: after computer restart, my Launchpad reset itself. As a result, lost my custom app order as well as folders. Ugh..

For now, not using Launchpad until it's stable. Using Spotlight instead.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Hey does anyone know if holding command while selecting apps works or not? Also does command a select the apps on that page/folder or all of them in launch pad? Thx

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Hey does anyone know if holding command while selecting apps works or not? Also does command a select the apps on that page/folder or all of them in launch pad? Thx
At its current state, Launchpad is quite inflexible. All you can do is drag apps around, merge them into folders, add, delete.

Actually, what else is needed anyway? :D

macintoshosxi

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011

I tried that but it didn't work, please help.

How do you completely remove final cut pro 7?

Thanks in Advance

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
I tried that but it didn't work, please help.

How do you completely remove final cut pro 7?

Thanks in Advance
While holding down command+option+control, mouse-click and hold any app icon until it stops wiggling; while still holding down command+option+control, mouse-click the icon again to remove it.

Last edited:

garagethrash

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
It's alarming how poorly implemented launchpad is for what seems like a simple feature. at the moment it lacks the refinement that is usual for apple. for instance, you can't drag apps to the launchpad icon to add them. and how hard it is to delete something is just bonkers. This OS isn't coming out any time soon i don't think

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Bug as expected: after computer restart, my Launchpad reset itself.

I have tried everything; fixing my personalization again, saving the files in the "dock" folder and putting them back, and going with just a few changes, but with no other result other than a reset upon reboot.

Funny thing is this actually worked before the latest update, both in DP1 and DP2.

I have three files in the "dock" folder, a .db, a .corrupt, and a .db-journal file.

How many people are having problems with LP?

Bo

ChainsawBuddha

Cancelled
Jul 2, 2008
Texas
Yeah I was gonna say, three keys is the same, I've tried both. Nada, only App Store Apps can be removed. :(

This is annoying. I have all of these Adobe uninstaller apps taking up my page. Very poorly implemented and this needs to fixed fast! Wish I could remove apps that weren't just from the app store.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
This is annoying. I have all of these Adobe uninstaller apps taking up my page. Very poorly implemented and this needs to fixed fast! Wish I could remove apps that weren't just from the app store.

lol im having the same issue with the uninstallers. shame that this thing doesn't have a simple configuration process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wafflefruit

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, I have the same problem with the adobe uninstallers. I just put them all in a folder and shoved them to the back. Same thing with some other apps that I don't want in launchpad but don't want to delete. I also wish you could slide over to the left and do a spotlight search like on iOS. It may be nice to have a full spotlight search there, but I was mainly thinking just launchpad apps. I have like 10 pages, and it is hard to search through. :rolleyes:

Michael.Hill

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I actually came here looking for a solution to the exact same problem with Adobe uninstallers. Hopefully Apple fixes this in an update.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
So you can't add programs to Launchpad unless you have the LP on your dock? I just assumed when you downloaded a new program and moved it to the app folder that Launchpad would pick it up.

Edit: It wasn't finding the app I added because that app was in a folder. I took it out of the folder and now Launchpad sees it. I guess it only picks up new apps if they are directly under /Applications?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.