Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiltmilk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
hey guys,

to cut a long story short:

dropped ~200g from ~1.5m onto lower right section while open (i.e.: it didn't hit the screen).
there's a dent about 2" long, down and to the side of the arrow keys.
now running at 1/4 speed. startup takes ~5 minutes.

what part/s would have been damaged?
is it possible to repair this on my own given that I've worked with building/upgrading computers before?
if I do send it in to be repaired professionally, how much in aud am I looking at?
how long will it take?

thanks so much for your time!
tali

c7aea

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010
hey guys,

to cut a long story short:

dropped ~200g from ~1.5m onto lower right section while open (i.e.: it didn't hit the screen).
now running at 1/4 speed. startup takes ~5 minutes.

what part/s would have been damaged?
is it possible to repair this on my own given that I've worked with building/upgrading computers before?
if I do send it in to be repaired professionally, how much in aud am I looking at?
how long will it take?

thanks so much for your time!
tali

Was it running when the accident happened? If so the shock could have damaged the HDD. Seems strange to me though that it would be running slow. I would think it wouldn't run at all instead. Are there any strange noises?

spiltmilk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Was it running when the accident happened? If so the shock could have damaged the HDD. Seems strange to me though that it would be running slow. I would think it wouldn't run at all instead. Are there any strange noises?

yes it was running.
if the hdd has been damaged, that might explain why I can't copy certain files to my ext hd.
hahahahah well ****, I thought that it running slow was bad luck but I guess not running at all would be a lot worse.
no strange noises except for a 'click' at startup which I assume was from the hd. I sometimes hear that sound when I pick up/move my macbook though.
thank you for your reply.

c7aea

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2010
yes it was running.
if the hdd has been damaged, that might explain why I can't copy certain files to my ext hd.
hahahahah well ****, I thought that it running slow was bad luck but I guess not running at all would be a lot worse.
no strange noises except for a 'click' at startup which I assume was from the hd. I sometimes hear that sound when I pick up/move my macbook though.
thank you for your reply.

Well if it is the HDD download a program that will check the HDD health. Hopefully you already have everything backed up. If not I would do it ASAP. If the HDD is damaged they are cheap and easy to replace.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010

Running slow with slow startup are the classic symptoms of a failing hard drive. The MBP hard drive is located on the right hand side, just below the arrow keys, so it makes sense from how you describe the damage. Get yourself a new hard drive (clone your old one with CCC or restore from a time machine backup) and, assuming that was the only thing that was damaged, everything should work fine again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.