Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
bs2511feist
macrumors member

HELP! I need Java! But don't have an earlier version installed!

My name is Ben, I recently tried to post a youtube video that took up over 1GB of space, youtube told me that i could not post the video unless i had the "Advanced (Java) Uploader for resumable uploads."

I am currently using a macbook version 10.5.8 on Mac OS X and i do not have any version of java already installed on my computer. The reason i am frustrated is that on the entire internet i can't seem to be able to find one java installation that is NOT an upgrade from an earlier version! The closest thing i could find is one where you need snow leopard to be able to install it. I don't have snow leopard.

Please if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, it would be great if someone could tell me something i don't know, tell me what to do, or even just post the link to a website that they think could work for me.

Thanks - Ben
bs2511feist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

All versions of Mac OS X have Java built-in and as long as you run Software Update, it should have the latest version installed.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:33 PM   #3
bs2511feist
macrumors member

I've tried that, it seems like i might have files missing? i'm not sure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	10
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	281210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	9
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	281211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	7
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	281212  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 5.png
Views:	8
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	281213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 6.png
Views:	9
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	281214  
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Intell
macrumors P6

Why don't you try installing all of the updates? Even the older version included with 10.5.0 should allow uploading to YouTube.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:44 PM   #5
bs2511feist
macrumors member

I've tried but they all say "you need an earlier version" because they are updates, which means all they can do is update from an older version, which i don't have
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Intell
macrumors P6

Software Update should never say that. You may have a more complex problem with your Mac if it can't install the needed updates.

Last edited by Intell; Apr 13, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:02 PM   #7
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs2511feist View Post
I've tried but they all say "you need an earlier version" because they are updates, which means all they can do is update from an older version, which i don't have
What you need to do is to stop disallowing updates. The quickest route is to download and install the combo-updater for MacOS X 10.5.8. Then run Software Update until it finds nothing more to update.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:40 PM   #8
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

I thought that System Update only showed the next version up that your computer required; ie, if you had 10.6.4 installed it would show that 10.6.5 was available, but wouldn't show 10.6.6 until you had installed 10.6.5?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:27 PM   #9
willfurnell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
I thought that System Update only showed the next version up that your computer required; ie, if you had 10.6.4 installed it would show that 10.6.5 was available, but wouldn't show 10.6.6 until you had installed 10.6.5?
Even if it doesn't I would recommend doing updates in order, because if you miss just one, the other updates may rely on it, and to the OP, you should really do ALL those updates and see if it solves the problem.
willfurnell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:08 PM   #10
bs2511feist
macrumors member

OK, i tried the software update, and of the 11 or so updates available, 8 of them did not update. I tried to do it again and with the 8 updates left i could install any of them because it keeps on telling me the software could not be updated because there are missing files in "/"

A long time ago i think i was clearing out my mac for more space and i didn't know much about macs back then and i believe i deleted some folders i shouldn't have. However, I was smart enough to have backed up my computer on an external hard-drive which i have handy.

I'm sure there's some way i could get those files back, i'm just not sure of that way specifically.... any suggestions?

Thanks - Ben
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs2511feist View Post
OK, i tried the software update, and of the 11 or so updates available, 8 of them did not update. I tried to do it again and with the 8 updates left i could install any of them because it keeps on telling me the software could not be updated because there are missing files in "/"

A long time ago i think i was clearing out my mac for more space and i didn't know much about macs back then and i believe i deleted some folders i shouldn't have. However, I was smart enough to have backed up my computer on an external hard-drive which i have handy.

I'm sure there's some way i could get those files back, i'm just not sure of that way specifically.... any suggestions?

Thanks - Ben
If you open a new Finder window, then click on the name of your hard drive (probably "Macintosh HD"), you should see these folders:
  • Applications
  • Developer (Maybe)
  • Library
  • System
  • Users

Do you have all of them?
Littleodie914 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Tags
install, java, max os x, not upgrade