Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djshack

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I also used 1Password for a very long time. I loved it until I switched to Chrome. The 1Password extension for Chrome has a lot of issues. Because of that and multiple device sync (Windows at work, Android phone), I've switched to LastPass and purchased the premium subscription. Quite a bargain if you ask me (and you can get it with XMarks for $20/year).

tcador

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
NYC
I prefer 1Password. Have it synced to my touch, two Macs and work computer. Works great.

stevenrt

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
I'm a Lastpass convert.

I used to use 1Password, but was also frustrated with the lack of cross platform support (this was 1-2 years ago). This led me to try Lastpass, which has become the most important software/service I have ever used. It functions on every platform in a consistent manner (for instance, it offers to autofill on every platform, as opposed to just offering autofill on Macs but making me copy/paste things from one place to another when in windows). It also supports every browser via superb plugins, and has so many configuration and security options to satisfy even those people like me that are extreme security conscious.

For those people that are concerned about storing your sensitive data in the cloud (even though it is always encrypted locally before ever leaving your computer), keep in mind that if you are using 1password anywhere, or are syncing your 1password data with Dropbox, then you are already keeping your sensitive data in the cloud just like Lastpass.

What I especially like about Lastpass is the option for dual factor authentication. For instance, I have one trusted computer, which I have setup so I can access my Lastpass data with one strong password I have memorized. However, on any other computer, you would need my strong password PLUS a second form of authentication before you could access my data. In this case, I use a Yubikey, but Lastpass offers a couple of options for second factor authentication. I find this very secure even though my data is stored in the cloud. If someone could somehow get access to my data from the Lastpass servers, they wouldn't be able decrypt it without my strong password AND the physical key that I keep on me.

I rarely comment about any software or services, but I make the exception for Lastpass, because it really has become essential for me.

infopreneurkid

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a big fan of 1password. It syncs across all my devices through Dropbox and works great.

I've never tried lastpass, but I've been using 1password for almost a year now and never had any issues with it.

kman1801

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
i use free Lastpass extension in FF and love it. I'm simple and don't have an iphone or anything, so I dunno 'bout dat.

But I have multiple profiles, un and pw for different businesses and I also like that I can fill in custom fields which allows me to easily add business information to many directories, social bookmarking sites etc.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Help Please!

I'd love to get the 1Password because I plan on buying an iPad by year end after the buying an iMac and upgrading to iPhone 5. However, I may have to wait because I'd like to have it on all my devices: PC, and iPhone 3GS right now. But 1Password for Windows doesn't support Internet Explorer 8 only Internet Explorer 9 which requires Windows 7 however, i have Windows XP. Also I'd have to pay $39.00 twice once for my current PC and then again for the iMac when I get it.

If I chose to buy twice by any chance would the Windows version be compatible with Safari 5 for Windows?

Last edited:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I'd love to get the 1Password because I plan on buying an iPad by year end after the buying an iMac and upgrading to iPhone 5. However, I may have to wait because I'd like to have it on all my devices: PC, and iPhone 3GS right now. But 1Password for Windows doesn't support Internet Explorer 8 only Internet Explorer 9 which requires Windows 7 however, i have Windows XP. Also I'd have to pay $39.00 twice once for my current PC and then again for the iMac when I get it.

If I chose to buy twice by any chance would the Windows version be compatible with Safari 5 for Windows?

Hi Robby,

You can get the bundle license for 1Password, which will run on both Windows and Macs. You can use the single-user license for all of your Windows and Mac computers as long as you're the only 1Password user. The cost is $59.99.

1Password for Windows does have an extension that'll run in Internet Explorer 7, 8 and 9. It should work on Windows XP with Internet Explorer 6. You can download the trial from their site and try it for 30 days without any limits. The link is here:
http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads

1Password for Windows doesn't support Safari yet, they plan to support it in a future update but they do not have a timeframe on it.

For your iOS products, you can also grab 1Password Pro for $15 which is a universal app that runs on all of the iOS products.

You might want to contact the support team at support@agilewebsolutions.com, they might do something special for you if you want to get both apps.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Hi Robby,

You can get the bundle license for 1Password, which will run on both Windows and Macs. You can use the single-user license for all of your Windows and Mac computers as long as you're the only 1Password user. The cost is $59.99.

1Password for Windows does have an extension that'll run in Internet Explorer 7, 8 and 9. It should work on Windows XP with Internet Explorer 6. You can download the trial from their site and try it for 30 days without any limits. The link is here:

1Password for Windows doesn't support Safari yet, they plan to support it in a future update but they do not have a timeframe on it.

For your iOS products, you can also grab 1Password Pro for $15 which is a universal app that runs on all of the iOS products.

You might want to contact the support team at support@agilewebsolutions.com, they might do something special for you if you want to get both apps.

thank you i sent an email yesterday waiting on a response. I was just concerned how the bundle works sine I wouldn't use the iMac part til I get the refresh iMac

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Hi Robby,

Thanks again, I received the response email today. I thought I share it with others if they in a similar situation.

EMAIL

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in 1Password.

I'm sorry for any confusion here, 1Password for Windows should work without any problems in IE 8, at least it was for me for the last few days until I upgraded to IE 9 in my virtual machine. At the moment we don't support Safari on Windows, although this is something we're hoping to add with a complete rewrite of our Safari on extension on the Mac to use Safari 5's native extension framework.

Given that you'll be wanting to use 1Password on your PC to start with and then a Mac later this year, you may find that a single-user license for our 1Password for Mac + Windows bundle at $59.99 is a better option than buying two separate $39.99 single-user licenses. Because we license per-person rather than per-computer, that bundle license can be used on as many Macs or Windows PCs (or installs of Windows on the Mac even) as you want.

1Password Pro is definitely the right choice if you're looking to use this on an iPhone (quite interested to see what Apple do with the next iPhone) and an iPad. As you may know, the iTunes App Store is managed by Apple, which means we can't bundle this with a license from our own online store.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!

http://agilewebsolutions.com/support
http://twitter.com/1Password

Last edited:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks again, I received the response email today. I thought I share it with others if they in a similar situation.

You should edit some of the private email out, it is not generally nice to post private emails including the name of the person that included a special link that was given to you only.

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
I've noticed more and more sites do not allow firefox to save their passwords.
I assume there are good security reasons for this, but it is inconvenient (and frankly less secure in some respect since it encourages me to recycle passwords).

Can 1password do this?

nevermind - downloaded the demo - think it does what I want - will probably buy

Last edited:

gamut

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Use SuperGenPass

SuperGenPass is free, doesn't store anything anywhere, and only requires you to remember one master password, which generates your passwords for any domain.

Just add it's bookmarklet to your browsers to get a "plug-in", and a link to supergenpass.com/mobile on your phone. Nothing to install. It's spectacular; only trouble now is moving the passwords over to the new convention.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
SuperGenPass is free, doesn't store anything anywhere, and only requires you to remember one master password, which generates your passwords for any domain.

Just add it's bookmarklet to your browsers to get a "plug-in", and a link to supergenpass.com/mobile on your phone. Nothing to install. It's spectacular; only trouble now is moving the passwords over to the new convention.

Bringing a thread that was in the grave........................back to life. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.