Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
Dude the iPhone was in development way before the Prada aka failure was launched.

They don't even look similar and the UI is way clunky on the Prada. Doesn't it have T9 texting? It's totally not like the iPhone other then it has a touch screen.

Since apple first brought up 'design', I thought LG Prada's design should be brought up.

LG Prada won a design award the iF Design Award and won the prize in September 2006. About 4 - 5 months before iphone was first released.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
I could be mistaken but I don't think on the prada you could flick and scroll. You had to take your finger and grab the side scroll bar and pull ala windows. Very awkward. Sure you used your finger but was very stylus like. Not natural in it's feel.

Also not sure if prada could pinch to zoom. if it could I'm sure it was choppy as he'll.

In fact the prada screen was quite crap. Actually the prada software and UI was pretty bad too. Look it up on YouTube.

They didn't sell many. No ones ever heard of this phone. Get over it.

its called setting the record straight.

previous user i was replying to was saying that the iPhone was the FIRST TOUCH SCREEN out on market. That is a false statement.

Just because a phone is crap, doesn't mean the underlying technology behind it is crap, in this case, the first 'capacitive' touch screen for mobile phones.

Just because a phone doesn't sell much, doesn't mean it should be 'forgotten,' neither. Your argument is weak.

So again, NO, the FIRST TOUCH SCREEN mobile device was the LG Prada, NOT the iPhone.

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
I've noticed a designed knock off for a while now. It's not just the tablets or the phones their portable computer line looks very similar to the MacBook Pros and airs.

Check out their website and look at them. It's shockingly similar to Apple's.
:rolleyes:
Its a thin laptop. So other companies can't make thin laptops now?

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Subjectively, before the iPhone there was the Razr.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_(KE850)

It was the first mobile phone with a capacitive touchscreen. LG Prada sold 1 million units in the first 18 months.

FIRST mobile phone with capacitive touch screen? Sounds like an innovative product to me.

Yeah and there were capacitive touch screens after the iPhone as well. Dozens actually. All failed until android. The look and feel and software is important. If you copy the champ and survive you'll gladly take second place. Samsung is copying apples final exam. Time to tell the teacher. Took apple long enough.

Just examine why the other capacitive phones failed and why these iPhone clones haven't and you have your answer.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
its called setting the record straight.

previous user i was replying to was saying that the iPhone was the FIRST TOUCH SCREEN out on market. That is a false statement.

Just because a phone is crap, doesn't mean the underlying technology behind it is crap, in this case, the first 'capacitive' touch screen for mobile phones.

Just because a phone doesn't sell much, doesn't mean it should be 'forgotten,' neither. Your argument is weak.

So again, NO, the FIRST TOUCH SCREEN mobile device was the LG Prada, NOT the iPhone.

If Spoony is somehow trying to say LG Prada shouldn't count because it didn't ship in volume, well 1 million units in 18 months sounds like a lot to me.

AFo1184

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Sometimes I just dont understand

I've read this board since the first post of this Lawsuit.

There is one glaring difference that no one has mentioned about iOS and TouchWiz/Android.

The collapsable app tray, Yes the app shells are the same shape as iOS but the icons themselves are different. But that tray will be the big difference just wait and see

There are enough differences between the products that this Lawsuit will fall through and get lost amongst the rest of the failed who's is bigger contests

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Something else Apple will have invented/innovated on every Mac board on the web .... :D

..truth is they don't invent or innovate.

They buy or copy....same as nearly everyone else.

People like you really don't get it. Just because Apple buys SOME things, you try to argue that they do that for EVERYTHING and haven't made one single innovation.

Get a grip. You don't understand design at all. It's not about features, there's so much more to these things. Apple innovated in their design of cocoa touch. Inertial scrolling, accelerometer to detect orientation, multitouch/finger friendly user interface, the slide to unlock gesture. All these things relate to design, which is where Apple makes the most innovation. To argue that Apple bought certain technologies, therefore have never made a single innovation, is so incredibly short sighted.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
People that support support support apple no matter what makes me embarrassed to own apple products. I definitely see why some call it a cult lol.:p

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
Yeah and there were capacitive touch screens after the iPhone as well. Dozens actually. All failed until android. The look and feel and software is important. If you copy the champ and survive you'll gladly take second place. Samsung is copying apples final exam. Time to tell the teacher. Took apple long enough.

Just examine why the other capacitive phones failed and why these iPhone clones haven't and you have your answer.

Million units in 18 months is considered a failure?

So Xerox can now sue apple for stealing the look and feel of GUI and mouse?

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Think About It

Those phones were not necessarily the first. iOS was in development for years.

Don't you think when other companies got word that Apple was in the phone market and the rumors were touch screen... don't you think companies released phones that were not ready to try to jump the gun and beat Apple to it? e.g. Prada.

Just because it was the first to launch does not mean they were developing it before Apple. As you can tell from the UI Apple was obviously first to the concept behind the scenes, because of the final product. It was in development for a long time.

LG should have held back and finished their UI so it actually worked good. Instead they drop a half ass unrefined product with a completely laughable UI.:eek:

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Million units in 18 months is considered a failure?

So Xerox can now sue apple for stealing the look and feel of GUI and mouse?

Hey now they gave those concepts to Apple, because they thought they were worthless. That's Xerox's bad.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011

Don't you think when other companies got word that Apple was in the phone market and the rumors were touch screen... don't you think companies released phones that were not ready to try to jump the gun and beat Apple to it? e.g. Prada.

Just because it was the first to launch does not mean they were developing it before Apple. As you can tell from the UI Apple was obviously first to the concept behind the scenes, because of the final product. It was in development for a long time.

LG should have held back and finished their UI so it actually worked good. Instead they drop a half ass unrefined product with a completely laughable UI.:eek:

Yes, of course. There is absolutely zero chance apple was inspired by the prada. No way! A multi billion dollar company would never do that!

orangepeel

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
At this point it's easier to make a list of companies apple isn't suing...

I liked the old think different days of apple, not the isheep generation apple now caters to.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky

great now folks like this guy here ^^ are making wild assumptions.

YEAH MAN, LG already KNEW Apple was gonna come out with a multitouch smartphone, so they rushed ahead and created the 'LG Prada,' therefore Apple had the first capacitive touch screen before LG! YEAH! /sarcasm.

Give me a break kid. If you're gonna make an assumption, at least back it up with some kind of source.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
People need to stop mentioning the Prada. It wasn't the first device with icons in a grid or a touch screen (neither was the iPhone). That's not the issue here.

Samsung blatantly ripped off virtually every design element of the iPhone, which the iPhone did not do with the Prada. Here are some examples:

#1 Size of the grid - both 4 x 4 (Prada was 2 x 3)
#2 Shape of the icons - both square (Prada was circle, win/mac/palm are app dependent)
#3 Placement of the dock - both bottom (obvious, but still copied... Prada was on the side)
#4 Size of the icons in the dock - both the same as the icons in the grid (Prada had smaller icons)
#5 Page indicators - both use dots (As far as I know the Prada had no such thing)

Once again, the problem isn't that they copied the idea of of a grid of icons, but rather that they copied every element of Apple's implementation of the grid, along with hardware design and accessories. There's a line between inspiration and copying and I think Samsung may have crossed it.

Yep. Unfortunately most people are not able to see things beyond what's on the surface. People don't understand details, and in Apples products it's always been the details that set them apart. People view things in such absolute terms. They think "oh well the iPhone wasn't the first touch screen phone, therefore it didn't do anything innovative"

It's really quite sad people's inability to go beyond the surface of things and understand the finer details in design and implementation.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.

Regardless of LG's "quality", they were the first to produce a product.
And Apple was originally developing the iPhone as a tablet, not a phone.
It wasn't until mid/late 2006 before the rumors started to have some shred of legitimacy.
All mock-ups and assumptions as to exactly "what" Apple was planning on releasing looked NOTHING like what they actually released.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
If Spoony is somehow trying to say LG Prada shouldn't count because it didn't ship in volume, well 1 million units in 18 months sounds like a lot to me.

My point is watch the prada UI in action on YouTube and after that watch the iPhone in action. Prada is yes innovative. I'm not saying it's not it's just feels and looks mechanical. You may think that's not important but it is. These subtle differences are what make a product fail or succeed.

Prada was a newish idea stuck with old mechanics and design. The iPhone has always felt and operated in a silky smooth way. Like an extension of yourself. You didn't have to battle with it.

Android finally figured this out and samsung just took it full circle and copied it 100%

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I guess I can see Apple's point. But, aren't all tablets going to have a similar style and interface? It would seem like there can be only marginal differences in a touch screen interface.

But there were plenty of touch screen interfaces before iPhone, which looked nothing like iOS.

Ridiculous. Nothing is at all similar, aside from the bezel. But then if that's an "infringement" then all those digital picture frame makers can sue Apple for copying their "user interface". Honeycomb itself, the actual aspect ratio, none of that is similar. Get a grip Apple.

Have you not seen the Samsung 'customisations' for the Galaxy 7"? Guess not, because if you had you wouldn't be telling Apple to get a grip.

galaxytabscreenshots28.jpg

galaxytabscreenshots10.jpg

galaxytabscreenshots14.jpg

Pretty textbook case of biting the hand that feeds you here, even if Samsung business units are separated.
Because Apple could never ever find anyone else to make their chip designs.

Wow apple is way out of line here, this is not right. That's like if the first company to create a netbook sued every other company who made a netbook afterward.
The netbook was a small PC, covered by lots of other IP. And the UI wasn't innovative either.

Exacly. To the people saying "they're not similar at all" clearly just don't understand the first thing about design. And I'm not talking about just visual design. Just because Samsung tries to tweak one little thing doesn't make their design unique from Apples. At the end of the day, Apple invented inertial scrolling and the entire blueprint for finger driven Application frameworks in cocoa touch. To not recognize these design achievements shows how little you understand about design in general. And that's not even taking into account the similar hardware designs they share as well. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure the courts will recognize these design concepts either, and will not likely sidenwith Apple. Courts don't understand design much, especially when it comes to software and technology.

It really just amazes me how quickly people forget things. People already forgot what phones looked like in 2007 and how they BEHAVED. They were nothing like the iPhone. Now today, they're ALL like the iPhone.
Good Insight. It's easy how quickly people forget the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.