Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:03 AM   #476
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Apple is pushing it - They're in for a hefty punch in the balls if Samsung stops supplying Apple with it's products.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:07 AM   #477
AndroidfoLife
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaxl7 View Post
Why can't competitors come out with something entirely new?? I mean, a phone that is not capacitive touch. Competition could stay with pressure sensitive stylus screen and innovate in a different direction. Just like the competition between blu ray and hd dvd. Android os was originally to look like the blackberry and then changed to copy apple ios. Why can't google's android be something totally new??

It is about time apple strikes back!! They should sue Google directly. guess, apple need Youtube and google search?
Android did not copy iOS. Android was in development before the original iPhone was revealed.
AndroidfoLife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:14 AM   #478
vvswarup
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymonk View Post
People that support support support apple no matter what makes me embarrassed to own apple products. I definitely see why some call it a cult lol.
And people who blatantly apply double-standards to Apple disgust me to no end. What is Apple doing wrong here? They're simply protecting their IP. Show me that Apple is doing something wrong and I will be the first to criticize Apple.
vvswarup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:14 AM   #479
Piggie
macrumors 601

May I please draw all your attention to this Steve Jobs Video:

http://youtu.be/uYK24SISaiI
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:28 AM   #480
vvswarup
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savor View Post
LOL

Suing your own partner and supplier. What next Apple, are going to sue Sony or Omnivision? Sue Foxcomm because iDevices are made in China.

All Apple has is their interface. Without the hardware components, there would be no iPhone or iPad. It would be like Nintendo suing Sharp even though the 3DS screen is supplied by them.

I hope Apple learns to manufacture everything themselves. Google should stop supporting them. Same with Samsung. I want Apple to do it all alone. I want every developer and hardware to turn their back on Apple. Expect more delays with the iPhone 5.

Incredibly petty. Why ruin relationships with your partners when you are still on the gravy train?
From the way you make it sound, it's as though Google, Samsung, developers, and the component suppliers are donating money to Apple out of the goodness of their hearts and Apple should be so grateful. On the contrary, it's they who should be grateful that there are nutjobs like Steve Jobs and those other people at Apple, who will gladly pay up billions of dollars in cash if they can be guaranteed of being served first.

If you want to walk away from billions of dollars, be my guest. But as for Samsung, Google, developers, component suppliers, and everybody else who does business with Apple, they aren't going to listen to you. They're not about to walk away from billions of dollars, which is what will happen if they make Apple "do it all alone."
vvswarup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:46 AM   #481
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

What a joke. Lame move by Apple. Samsung should tell them to shove it, they can afford the hit.
AppleScruff1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:55 AM   #482
dba7dba
macrumors 6502

Apple ripping Braun design

1960s Braun Products Hold the Secrets to Apple’s Future

http://gizmodo.com/#!343641/1960s-br...-apples-future

Who's ripping who now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	medium_rams-ive.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	282057  
dba7dba is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:57 AM   #483
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

And don't forget Apple's logo that was copied from the Beatle's record company.
AppleScruff1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:01 AM   #484
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi View Post
What did Apple patent here? Absolutely nothing.
Patened form factor will get you nowhere in court. Same goes for UI.

Getting patent approved is one thing but proving it in court is whole another issue. Apple has nothing on this one.
This is most likely about design patents. You can get a patent for a design, which is something completely different from the usual patents for inventions, but also uses the word "patent". As an example, when the first iMacs were released, some company tried to copy its design and was stopped from doing so because Apple had design patents that they were infringing on. I can see the same thing happening here.

And the often quote LG phone looked nothing like an iPhone. I'd take it as a proof that you can make a very nice looking phone without copying Apple's iPhone (made easier by the fact that it was too early to copy the iPhone).
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:04 AM   #485
paradox00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
So, it's the 4x4 icon grid that is unique? Don't be ridiculous. I am sure that nobody would allow Apple to patent the number of icons. Besides, would you be OK then with Samsung switching to 5x4 icon matrix?
The combination of multiple UI elements is what's unique. Not the 4x4 grid in itself, but the 4x4 grid of square icons, in conjunction with the 4 icon dock at the bottom, in conjunction with horizontal scrolling, in conjunction with dots to indicate what page you're on, in conjunction with the physical design of the phone bearing a resemblance to the 3GS in many ways (metallic band, curved back, similar sized bezels above and below the screen, matching speaker shape and placement, matching ambient light sensor placement, etc.)

Sharing a couple design elements is fine, natural and expected, but after a certain point, after too many common elements are shared, it becomes a blatant copy. This isn't rocket science.
paradox00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:05 AM   #486
Radoo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohus View Post
you mean the iMac looks just like the Alto.. other way around :P

Alto was released in 1973. Macintosh in 1984.
I was being ironic...
Radoo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:06 AM   #487
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidfoLife View Post
Android did not copy iOS. Android was in development before the original iPhone was revealed.
Android before the iPhone:
Thumb resize.

Android after the iPhone:

Thumb resize.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:10 AM   #488
paradox00
macrumors 6502a

Deleted, beaten to the punch by the post above.
paradox00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:20 AM   #489
AndroidfoLife
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrod View Post
Android before the iPhone:
Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
That second picture is an android app. Android is a very different look and feel from iOS.

That is a picture of Android OS in its late development.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Android_home.png
Views:	12
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	282059  
AndroidfoLife is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:20 AM   #490
aohus
macrumors 65816

aohus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:29 AM   #491
vincebio
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to vincebio Send a message via MSN to vincebio Send a message via Yahoo to vincebio Send a message via Skype™ to vincebio
theres an awful lot of stupid comments on this thread...
some people dont get it at all....

1. Was there a phone that looked anything like an iPhone before the iPhone?
No.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:33 AM   #492
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
My 2003 Sony Ericsson T610, complete with Symbian and J2ME stack, SDK, phone emulator, apps and App store (on Rogers) is seriously doing at Apple for this :

Thumb resize.
Worst gadget I ever owned. Neither looked nor functioned like the iPhone. At all. I only clung to the turd for 3 years because of all the Apple phone rumors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Tortois View Post
As for the Buying Samsung? Are you serious? Apple's annual revenue is approximately $33-34billion. Samsungs is $170billion. I'd like to see them try.
While you're correct that Apple couldn't buy Samsung (nor would they want to), your numbers are seriously off as Apple had $27 billion in revenue in the last quarter alone.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:45 AM   #493
dba7dba
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincebio View Post
theres an awful lot of stupid comments on this thread...
some people dont get it at all....

1. Was there a phone that looked anything like an iPhone before the iPhone?
No.
Yes, LG Prada. Since you asked 'looked anything like'... Go through the thread. There's a pic of it in this thread.
dba7dba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:45 AM   #494
WeegieMac

For those debating when the iPhone went into development, watch the D8 interview with Steve Jobs from last year. It's free as a video podcast on iTunes.

He clearly states that it in the early 2000's that he was brought a multitouch glass display and shown the rubber band inertial scrolling by one of their R&D team and that's when he realised, "God, we can make a phone out of this. So we put the tablet on the shelf, and spent the next few years on the iPhone".

And for the Android was in development first pish? Yes it was, but it wasn't until Schmidt sat on the board and hoovered up iPhone ideas that Google, upon buying Android, would be able to turn Android what it is today. An iOS clone but without the "quality" feel and UI.

But wait! I hear the Android fans cry, "We have big clocks and the weather on our lock screens"!
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:46 AM   #495
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrod View Post

Thumb resize.
That is in no way Android. That is Samsung's custom UI replacement.

This is Android on phones now:
Thumb resize.

Edit: rofl @ my screenshot following WeegieMac's comment "But wait! I hear the Android fans cry, "We have big clocks and the weather on our lock screens"! Perfect timing.

Last edited by ChazUK; Apr 19, 2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Nice one WeegieMac!
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:47 AM   #496
dba7dba
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
While you're correct that Apple couldn't buy Samsung (nor would they want to), your numbers are seriously off as Apple had $27 billion in revenue in the last quarter alone.

Number aside, apple won't be allowed to buy samsung no matter what. Samsung is said to contribute 20% of S Korea's GDP.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:47 AM   #497
Uragon
macrumors regular

Back then, during the motorola Startac time, samsung also came up with models very similar to Startac almost identical. Not sure though if Motorola sued Samsung.

I tried Samsung's mobile but never really liked their mobile though Galaxy S comes with 2 batteries.
Uragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:48 AM   #498
Radoo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugg View Post
Give it some time and watch the positives skyrocket by the end of the day. If this were an article about Microsoft suing somebody, it'd be all negatives.
Almost there... 188 vs 190. Apple is like religion for some fans...
Radoo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:49 AM   #499
dba7dba
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uragon View Post
Back then, during the motorola Startac time, samsung also came up with models very similar to Startac almost identical. Not sure though if Motorola sued Samsung.

I tried Samsung's mobile but never really liked their mobile though Galaxy S comes with 2 batteries.
startac. good old days. my friend hated it...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:49 AM   #500
andrewsd
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to andrewsd
So target one of your manufactures.... But do see their point and if it was the OTHER way around they'd do the same thing..

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion