Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
When the iPHone first came out...

Why can't competitors come out with something entirely new?? I mean, a phone that is not capacitive touch. Competition could stay with pressure sensitive stylus screen and innovate in a different direction. Just like the competition between blu ray and hd dvd. Android os was originally to look like the blackberry and then changed to copy apple ios. Why can't google's android be something totally new??

It is about time apple strikes back!! They should sue Google directly. guess, apple need Youtube and google search?

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Why can't competitors come out with something entirely new?? I mean, a phone that is not capacitive touch. Competition could stay with pressure sensitive stylus screen and innovate in a different direction. Just like the competition between blu ray and hd dvd. Android os was originally to look like the blackberry and then changed to copy apple ios. Why can't google's android be something totally new??

It is about time apple strikes back!! They should sue Google directly. guess, apple need Youtube and google search?

Android did not copy iOS. Android was in development before the original iPhone was revealed.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
People that support support support apple no matter what makes me embarrassed to own apple products. I definitely see why some call it a cult lol.:p

And people who blatantly apply double-standards to Apple disgust me to no end. What is Apple doing wrong here? They're simply protecting their IP. Show me that Apple is doing something wrong and I will be the first to criticize Apple.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
LOL

Suing your own partner and supplier. What next Apple, are going to sue Sony or Omnivision? Sue Foxcomm because iDevices are made in China.

All Apple has is their interface. Without the hardware components, there would be no iPhone or iPad. It would be like Nintendo suing Sharp even though the 3DS screen is supplied by them.

I hope Apple learns to manufacture everything themselves. Google should stop supporting them. Same with Samsung. I want Apple to do it all alone. I want every developer and hardware to turn their back on Apple. Expect more delays with the iPhone 5.

Incredibly petty. Why ruin relationships with your partners when you are still on the gravy train?

From the way you make it sound, it's as though Google, Samsung, developers, and the component suppliers are donating money to Apple out of the goodness of their hearts and Apple should be so grateful. On the contrary, it's they who should be grateful that there are nutjobs like Steve Jobs and those other people at Apple, who will gladly pay up billions of dollars in cash if they can be guaranteed of being served first.

If you want to walk away from billions of dollars, be my guest. But as for Samsung, Google, developers, component suppliers, and everybody else who does business with Apple, they aren't going to listen to you. They're not about to walk away from billions of dollars, which is what will happen if they make Apple "do it all alone."

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
What a joke. Lame move by Apple. Samsung should tell them to shove it, they can afford the hit.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple

Attachments

• medium_rams-ive.jpg
    medium_rams-ive.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 59

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What did Apple patent here? Absolutely nothing.
Patened form factor will get you nowhere in court. Same goes for UI.

Getting patent approved is one thing but proving it in court is whole another issue. Apple has nothing on this one.

This is most likely about design patents. You can get a patent for a design, which is something completely different from the usual patents for inventions, but also uses the word "patent". As an example, when the first iMacs were released, some company tried to copy its design and was stopped from doing so because Apple had design patents that they were infringing on. I can see the same thing happening here.

And the often quote LG phone looked nothing like an iPhone. I'd take it as a proof that you can make a very nice looking phone without copying Apple's iPhone (made easier by the fact that it was too early to copy the iPhone).

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
So, it's the 4x4 icon grid that is unique? Don't be ridiculous. I am sure that nobody would allow Apple to patent the number of icons. Besides, would you be OK then with Samsung switching to 5x4 icon matrix?

The combination of multiple UI elements is what's unique. Not the 4x4 grid in itself, but the 4x4 grid of square icons, in conjunction with the 4 icon dock at the bottom, in conjunction with horizontal scrolling, in conjunction with dots to indicate what page you're on, in conjunction with the physical design of the phone bearing a resemblance to the 3GS in many ways (metallic band, curved back, similar sized bezels above and below the screen, matching speaker shape and placement, matching ambient light sensor placement, etc.)

Sharing a couple design elements is fine, natural and expected, but after a certain point, after too many common elements are shared, it becomes a blatant copy. This isn't rocket science.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Android before the iPhone:
Android_mobile_phone_platform_early_device.jpg

Android after the iPhone:

2010_03_25_Samsung-Galaxy-S-3.jpg

That second picture is an android app. Android is a very different look and feel from iOS.

That is a picture of Android OS in its late development.

Attachments

• Android_home.png
    Android_home.png
    149.3 KB · Views: 40

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
theres an awful lot of stupid comments on this thread...
some people dont get it at all....

1. Was there a phone that looked anything like an iPhone before the iPhone?
No.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
My 2003 Sony Ericsson T610, complete with Symbian and J2ME stack, SDK, phone emulator, apps and App store (on Rogers) is seriously doing :rolleyes: at Apple for this :

Sony-Ericsson-T610-Virgin-Pay-As-You-Go-0.jpg

Worst gadget I ever owned. Neither looked nor functioned like the iPhone. At all. I only clung to the turd for 3 years because of all the Apple phone rumors.

As for the Buying Samsung? Are you serious? Apple's annual revenue is approximately $33-34billion. Samsungs is $170billion. I'd like to see them try.

While you're correct that Apple couldn't buy Samsung (nor would they want to), your numbers are seriously off as Apple had $27 billion in revenue in the last quarter alone.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
theres an awful lot of stupid comments on this thread...
some people dont get it at all....

1. Was there a phone that looked anything like an iPhone before the iPhone?
No.

Yes, LG Prada. Since you asked 'looked anything like'... Go through the thread. There's a pic of it in this thread.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
For those debating when the iPhone went into development, watch the D8 interview with Steve Jobs from last year. It's free as a video podcast on iTunes.

He clearly states that it in the early 2000's that he was brought a multitouch glass display and shown the rubber band inertial scrolling by one of their R&D team and that's when he realised, "God, we can make a phone out of this. So we put the tablet on the shelf, and spent the next few years on the iPhone".

And for the Android was in development first pish? Yes it was, but it wasn't until Schmidt sat on the board and hoovered up iPhone ideas that Google, upon buying Android, would be able to turn Android what it is today. An iOS clone but without the "quality" feel and UI.

But wait! I hear the Android fans cry, "We have big clocks and the weather on our lock screens"!

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Android after the iPhone:

2010_03_25_Samsung-Galaxy-S-3.jpg

That is in no way Android. That is Samsung's custom UI replacement.

This is Android on phones now:
ScreenShot.png

Edit: rofl @ my screenshot following WeegieMac's comment "But wait! I hear the Android fans cry, "We have big clocks and the weather on our lock screens"! Perfect timing. :)

Last edited:

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
While you're correct that Apple couldn't buy Samsung (nor would they want to), your numbers are seriously off as Apple had $27 billion in revenue in the last quarter alone.

Number aside, apple won't be allowed to buy samsung no matter what. Samsung is said to contribute 20% of S Korea's GDP.

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Back then, during the motorola Startac time, samsung also came up with models very similar to Startac almost identical. Not sure though if Motorola sued Samsung.

I tried Samsung's mobile but never really liked their mobile though Galaxy S comes with 2 batteries.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
Back then, during the motorola Startac time, samsung also came up with models very similar to Startac almost identical. Not sure though if Motorola sued Samsung.

I tried Samsung's mobile but never really liked their mobile though Galaxy S comes with 2 batteries.

startac. good old days. my friend hated it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.