Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yes, LG Prada. Since you asked 'looked anything like'... Go through the thread. There's a pic of it in this thread.

**** ME ... you're STILL at it with that?

It's not about the rectangle shape or that it uses a touch screen. That's not why Apple is suing. They are suing because the Galaxy S devices stole near the exact design of the iPhone 3GS and 4.

Bottom line. Samsung wanted those designs and used them, and the only major difference is the Galaxy S's cheap and nasty plastic back.

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Yes, LG Prada. Since you asked 'looked anything like'... Go through the thread. There's a pic of it in this thread.

Do you have any idea why the LG Prada was not that functional? Was it possible that they rushed the product before Apple or Samsung can have theirs in the market.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
For those debating when the iPhone went into development, watch the D8 interview with Steve Jobs from last year. It's free as a video podcast on iTunes.

He clearly states that it in the early 2000's that he was brought a multitouch glass display and shown the rubber band inertial scrolling by one of their R&D team and that's when he realised, "God, we can make a phone out of this. So we put the tablet on the shelf, and spent the next few years on the iPhone".

And for the Android was in development first pish? Yes it was, but it wasn't until Schmidt sat on the board and hoovered up iPhone ideas that Google, upon buying Android, would be able to turn Android what it is today. An iOS clone but without the "quality" feel and UI.

But wait! I hear the Android fans cry, "We have big clocks and the weather on our lock screens"!

Have you ever used an android device? it is not suppose to feel like iOS. If your idea of quality is iOS then of course it will not meet that. Android does its own thing. While it may not be as "smooth" It is more customizable, it is faster at executing task, and it allows for the user to install apps themselves. Android is not iOS and iOS is not Android. You may want a quality feel, I want quality and both of our interpretations can lead us to two different OSs

jmggs

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Microsoft that was not supposed to be the bad guys?

Apple you are getting to big. Like George Lukas says:

"Stay small, be the best!"

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Number aside, apple won't be allowed to buy samsung no matter what. Samsung is said to contribute 20% of S Korea's GDP.

Samsung generates slightly more revenue than Apple. Perhaps they could buy Apple.

If you call your company Apple, what else are you going to use as your logo?

A banana? Jesus ...

Copying is copying, isn't it? What about copying the i from iDEN? It's funny how when Apple copies it's ok.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
**** ME ... you're STILL at it with that?

It's not about the rectangle shape or that it uses a touch screen. That's not why Apple is suing. They are suing because the Galaxy S devices stole near the exact design of the iPhone 3GS and 4.

Bottom line. Samsung wanted those designs and used them, and the only major difference is the Galaxy S's cheap and nasty plastic back.

he did say 'LOOKed like'. Not work/behave/slide like...

Rectangular screen taking up most of the front.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
Well, the difference between Apple and Samsung devices to me, are that Samsung devices feel like cheap products even when they cost a bomb.

Whozown

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Robotic_Richard_Simmons.png

LMFAO!!! You gotta love classic Simpsons.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Samsung is the one that makes the Apple designed A4 and A5, it would be funny if Samsung tells Apple to go elsewhere for a CPU.

all of these lawsuits are starting to become retarded. just because it looks similar does not mean it works in the same way.

Apple get over yourself and just continue to do with what you do best.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I can't help myself, but I still find it disgusting when a company that has stolen so many third party ideas (yes, that's Apple) finds it necessary to sue others who might have come up with a similar product.

Anyway. I've owned three iOS devices so far - 1st gen iPod Touch, 1st gen iPad and an iPhone 3G - and cannot say that I found any of them really good. The hardware always looked nice and felt good, but in all three cases the software and the whole iTunes "experience" completely sucked. In my experience, iOS itself is a unstable OS that also does not play well with third party soft- and hardware (e.g. Navigon and Tom Tom GPS cradle). Even Apple's own Safari crashes continuously, and with every iOS update (as long as there were any for the 3G), the problems got worse instead of better.

That being said, I decided the next cell phone that I try will be the Nexus S. I was thinking about the Galaxy S I9000, too, but somehow the Nexus S looks a tip better.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
So Apple is becoming Nokia now:

If you can't beat them in the market, try to beat them in court.

Well, losing (again) 3 percent marketshare in Q1/11 despite the "big Verizon iPhone release" must really have hurt Apple.

ThePixelDoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
You see I'd love Adobe to get Apple worried like this :)

All Adobe would have to do it put out a public press release that they are reconsidering their support of the Apple platform in the future, and if they wish to continue selling Mac versions of their software.

Just them saying they are considering their position would send shock waves through Apple.

It's only a matter of time. Apple are going to pee too many people off sooner or later and they will start to bite back hard.

Oh please make this come true! If Adobe did as you say, they would be forced within a week to fire the entire executive floor by it's shareholders. Adobe BADLY needs new leadership!

Oh and BTW... those numbers that Adobe likes to shout out at '50/50', does not break down the 'professional creative base' vs. the '1-man, small-shop, gotta-torrent-it users'. Every professional and major ad, marketing, print, publishing company I have come into contact with over the last 25 years, is a 95% Apple and multiple-license paying Adobe shop. I would venture to guess that the 'profitable pro side' should be more like 80 Apple/20 PC.

So "piggie"... please talk to "birdie" and make this fly. Thanks in advance.:)

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
When you are the premium brand (or perceived to be the premium brand for all your android fans who are going to flame on this) you need to protect that. Incredibly hard to build up a reputation like that. The apple logo on the back and build quality is part of that but so is the look and feel.

If samsung builds an iphone clone and starts doing buy one get one free and then offers it on a pay as you go network after time that would erode the iphone brand. Of course apple needs to protect that.

Haha, fanboy. The samsung products don't look that similar to the Apple products and I doubt they are affecting Apple's reputation that much. At the end of the day all this is is greed.

How would Samsung's business practice erode the iPhone brand? Its not in danger here.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If samsung builds an iphone clone and starts doing buy one get one free and then offers it on a pay as you go network after time that would erode the iphone brand. Of course apple needs to protect that.

The iPhone is given away free on some contracts and is also available on Pay as You Go in the UK.

It hasn't eroded the iPhone brand in any way.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
It's all the r&d efforts, their Intellectual Property (IP), then the patents granted to protect them, then protecting them.

If apple's patents are being violated then they have to sue, simple.

There is nothing wrong with protecting your IP.

pkson

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
That's just BS. Read LG Prada Review on GSM Arena: "The Capacitive Touch Screen Technology utilized in the creation of the LG Prada touchscreen display makes use of a glass panel with a capacitive (charge storing) material coating. When you touch the display the change in frequency allows the circuits situated in the corners to calculate the coordinates of your touch and thus the controller "knows" exactly what item you've touched on the screen."

Sorry dude, but I have nothing else to say.

It's NOT capacitive. You can't change hard facts. Even if you call BS, it doesn't change anything.

Either there's a whole different Prada phone that you are talking about, or you are just wrong.

The photo link I attached is an LG Prada phone with a stylus pen dangling to it. Plus. My mother in law still uses a Prada phone. (and also one of my best friends from college used to before he bought the Galaxy S)

I don't care how much you call it BS, either there are two phones that look the same, and were released at the same time with totally different touch screens, or some people don't know the difference between capacitive and resistive.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
If some people have a Nascar race. Jeff Gordon wins and Busch comes in second. Everyone says Busch was first because his car ran more smoothly the entire race.

It doesn't work there so why do you think it works now. No one ignores first place. Apple was not first deal with it and give the prada a shred of respect. It did cross the line first. It may not had the cleanest race but it came first.

(I think those are Nascar drivers. I like football not left turns)

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
It's free on Three for £43 per month. :)

That's quool. :D

But to be honest, three is ********* of all. And I guess you are very well aware of that. They are just at an advantage as they bought the 3G spectrum in the UK at very cheap prices and made a great deal with Skype.

I use three on a very cheap mobile (in northampton) and the service is poor. 3 bars max; in my office, the phone goes dead.

Three can give you unlimited-data, unlimited minutes; but they cannot give you good network reception.

But that said you are spot on with the find.

Also, most people prefer 18 months contracts rather than 24; so the contract cost goes up a bit. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.