Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Requests Dismissal of iTunes Antitrust Case Following Jobs Deposition

Late last month, we noted that Apple CEO Steve Jobs had been ordered to appear for a deposition in a 2005 lawsuit regarding the company's FairPlay digital rights management (DRM) system in place at that time for iTunes Store music content. The lawsuit contends that Apple's move to prevent the playing of music files from RealNetworks on iPods was anticompetitive.

According to a new report from Bloomberg, Jobs did indeed provide the required deposition on April 12th, and Apple has now requested dismissal of the case.
Quote:
"Apple's view is that iPods work better when consumers use the iTunes jukebox rather than third party software that can cause corruption or other problems," [Apple attorney Robert] Mittelstaedt said at a hearing.

Apple had cited 58 consumer downloading complaints as the source of its decision to upgrade iPods to exclude other companies' downloads working with the hand-held devices.
Neither Apple nor the plaintiffs have performed scientific testing to determine whether third-party downloads were in fact responsible for the issues experienced by consumers, leading the trial judge to comment that the case may simply come down to a "battle of experts". A decision on Apple's request for dismissal is expected by next month.

Article Link: Apple Requests Dismissal of iTunes Antitrust Case Following Jobs Deposition
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Apple can dish it out but can't take it.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:17 AM   #3
toddybody

Not the end of the world...I can still put non-iTunes music on there. When that shoe drops...then Ill freak on ol' Apple.
toddybody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:17 AM   #4
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Huh?

I would understand the merit of a lawsuit like this if iPods only played Apple proprietary file formats. If the ONLY type of file one would play was a DRM'd AAC (M4P) file? Then you'd at least have some basis for an argument. (Although even then? I think such a move would have simply rendered the iPod an inconsequential device in the marketplace -- so there wouldn't be anyone feeling a need to bring a suit in the first place.)

Since all iPods play standard MP3 files just fine, though? It seems to me it's fully capable of using the single most popular digital music file format in existence already. If it didn't play Real's proprietary file format, so what? Real and everyone else wanting to sell music should have simply ditched the DRM protection anyway, and then they wouldn't have such problems.
kingtj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Makes no sense why on a classic iPod platform you'd want another player besides what is managed through iTunes. You can put anything in there.

Seems as though Apple does not care about 3rd party application players (besides Flash players) on the iOS devices. But still... it's an Apple product and iTunes is their application to manage your iOS device. Sooo again... I don't see any issue other than Real Networks lost the battle so they're grasping at straws.
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:58 AM   #6
aristotle
macrumors 68000

You can put non-DRM'ed AAC and MP3 format files all day long onto the device.

Real Networks was expecting for Apple to support their use of Fairplay DRM which would be a loss for Apple since they would be supporting some other company's customers for "free" if something did not play on the iPod bought from their store.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:02 PM   #7
allpar
macrumors 6502

Can I sue Canon because my scanner only works with their driver and plugin?

Can I sue Apple because my iPod only works with their driver and app?

Can I sue Microsoft because Access only works within their operating system?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:06 PM   #8
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Remember, the suit dates back to 2005 - long before Amazon started selling music and long before iTunes went Music DRM free. Bringing up current scenarios is not going to mean much since the case is not bringing brought up today - it's dealing with actions and complaints made in and prior to, 2005.

That being said, even using arguments from 2005, I don't see much to go on, Creative was essentially hacking closed source software involving encryption - something Real had no business messing with without a license from Apple which they made no effort to get and one that Apple is not obligated to provide (Apple certainly can show that they were contractually obligated to defend any exploits).

Not to mention that iTunes is a closed source program too.

Both of these reasons, one that the actions of Real were wrong in the first place, and two, they are moot back then (since iTunes can accept multiple non DRM sources and cannot be enforced to license other DRM formats and the DRM can be stripped by burning and ripping), and now given that iTunes tracks are all DRM free.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:19 PM   #9
toddybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpar View Post

You CAN sue anyone for anything...now winning is a little different
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Consultant
macrumors G5

There are plenty of other music players and music stores.

Probably will end up similar to Psystar case.

Wait, PlayStation only works with playstation games? Nintendo only works with nintendo games? Xbox only works with xbox games? SUE THEM ALL! Not.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
There are plenty of other music players and music stores.

Probably will end up similar to Psystar case.

Wait, PlayStation only works with playstation games? Nintendo only works with nintendo games? Xbox only works with xbox games? SUE THEM ALL! Not.
OMG! You are so right! When will this anti-trust game end?
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:33 PM   #12
coder12
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpar View Post

Technically yes, but you probably won't win

edit: dang you toddboddy! Ninja'd!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:39 PM   #13
toddybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder12 View Post
Technically yes, but you probably won't win

edit: dang you toddboddy! Ninja'd!
All good dude Lets share the wealth
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:40 PM   #14
FriarNurgle
macrumors regular

It's the...

It's the "Our Consumers Are Idiots" defense.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:43 PM   #15
KnoxHarrington
macrumors newbie

Real Networks will have a response to this motion as soon as buffering is complete.
KnoxHarrington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:46 PM   #16
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
"Apple's view is that iPods work better when consumers use the iTunes jukebox rather than third party software that can cause corruption or other problems," [Apple attorney Robert] Mittelstaedt said at a hearing.
Er, did Apple just forget that when they first offered the iPod for Windows, it sync'd using MusicMatch Jukebox, which was "third party software"?
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:50 PM   #17
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Er, did Apple just forget that when they first offered the iPod for Windows, it sync'd using MusicMatch Jukebox, which was "third party software"?
No, it clearly says thatt hey removed that functionality because of 58 consumer complaints.
Iconoclysm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:09 PM   #18
ericmooreart
macrumors regular

58 consumer complaints out of 42 million ipods sold through 2005. Thats 1 in every 724,137 people. Thats .7 complaints for the State of Wyoming. Hold the press! Ban third party players
ericmooreart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclysm View Post
No, it clearly says thatt hey removed that functionality because of 58 consumer complaints.
Shame Apple picks and choses when 58 complaints is enough to change their practices.
126351 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:14 PM   #20
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

I guess RealNetworks has to have some creative ways to make money these days.
Stridder44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:35 PM   #21
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
That's becasue Apple had an existing agreement with MusicMatch - Musicmatch actually did some level of support for the iPod. This lawsuit postdates that arrangement after Apple started offering iTunes for Windows.

Creative/Real never had any such agreement with Real.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:56 PM   #22
skinned66
macrumors 6502

As some other posters already pointed out that iPods were/are not limited to iTunes music, until recently they had a "disk mode" option to sync with whatever the hell software you wanted since it was just a matter of copying the music files.

I think they should have kept this - not like I'd use it, but still.
skinned66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:39 AM   #23
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

If Apple disallowed usage of ripped CDs, now that would cause major outrage.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:41 AM   #24
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspersoong View Post
If Apple disallowed usage of ripped CDs, now that would cause major outrage.
They could do lots of things that would outrage people. Trouble is, Apple has no reason to do that since it would a very overt act that would be terrible for business since no same person is going to rely on purchased content entirely. I cannot remember who did that, but someone tried to assert their music service was superior because they could fill up an iPod like device for some monthly fee compared to $5000 for the Apple device. It was pointed out that the vast majority of music used on iPod devices at the time were vanilla mp3's obtained from CD and not from the iTunes store.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:48 AM   #25
maclaptop
macrumors 65816

Apple -

Terrific products,

Pompous culture,

Legions of Yes men,

What an entertaining movie
maclaptop is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion