Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
So I just got off the phone with apple support about my iPad 2 having light leak

One thing the apple advisor told me is that if the 4th letter in your serial number if F (mine is one of them) then your iPad most likely would have light bleed.

I Want to test this theory to see if it is correct.

Please post if your iPad's 4th letter in your serial number is F or not and post if your iPad has bleeding or not

Thanks!

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
So I just got off the phone with apple support about my iPad 2 having light leak

One thing the apple advisor told me is that if the 4th letter in your serial number if F (mine is one of them) then your iPad most likely would have light bleed.

I Want to test this theory to see if it is correct.

Please post if your iPad's 4th letter in your serial number is F or not and post if your iPad has bleeding or not

Thanks!

Fourth letter is F and zero light bleed with full brightness on a black screen in dark room.

Suppose it doesn't mean the theory is not correct to a lesser extent.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
* first black 16GB ipad was DQTF (contained massive light leak)
* first white 32GB ipad was DLXF (contained massive light leak)
* 4th black 16GB ipad is DLXF (still contained light leak but not as bad as #1)
* 1st white 64GB ipad is DLXF (still has some light leak but best of all returned)

Last edited:

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
So why the letter F? Is there any substantiated proof that Apple knows this is a problem? Is this even considered defective by apple's standard?

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
So why the letter F? Is there any substantiated proof that Apple knows this is a problem? Is this even considered defective by apple's standard?

Apple right now is rounding up as many defective iPad 2's as they can right now and I guess most of them have F as their 4th letter in the serial (this is what the senior adviser told me)

And the senior adviser said apple is very aware of the issue and it is not normal and apple is working on a fix for it as we speak that will be out soon

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
Apple right now is rounding up as many defective iPad 2's as they can right now and I guess most of them have F as their 4th letter in the serial (this is what the senior adviser told me)

And the senior adviser said apple is very aware of the issue and it is not normal and apple is working on a fix for it as we speak that will be out soon

Thanks - but what is the "issue"? Manufacturing defect or what? What's actually wrong with it?

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
My 4th letter of the serial no. is F as well, and my iPad 2 has light leak also, it is a white model, perhaps Apple knew this issue in the first place before starting distributing the units in mass quantities? I don't know what Apple is playing at... that means iPads without the letter F in the fourth letter of the serial number does not contain light bleeding problems? Sounds interesting...

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
My 4th and 5th letters(DLXFF)are both Fs. Maybe that explains why my light bleed is REALLy bad :D

What do you mean working on a fix. It is a hardware issue right?

Im assuming they will be making an announcement as to what we should do when they figure it out. It would be sweet if they sent us all 25-50 Bucks in the mail(That'll never happen) if we choose to just keep it the way it is, cause mine is bad, but it doesnt effect anything really.

Last edited:

mikalh78

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
Mine starts with DLXF. I looked and look and looked but mine has no black bleed. Checked at 100% brightness but nothing. :)

chotty

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
F here

On iPad2 #2. Both have it bad. Replacement only *slightly better.
Still quite bad. My guess is it's the glue they're now using, instead of clips on iPad1...

telemon

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
Make a Genius Appointment....

If you are so inclined...do as I did...make a Genius appointment, show them your iPad with light-leaking, bleeding, etc.

- they will either give you a new one on the spot, or place an order for a replacement.

- you continue to use your current iPad until the replacement comes in and then they will call you when its time to come pick up your new one....

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

How are they going to "Fix" this? With a Firmware upgrade? XD

The only time I ever notice it is in a dim room viewing a All Black image in the Photos App. And since I got my iPad 2 for other reason than that, it doesn't bother me one bit.

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
The only time I ever notice it is in a dim room viewing a All Black image in the Photos App. And since I got my iPad 2 for other reason than that, it doesn't bother me one bit.
mine is 'f' but I agree totally with the above. i certainly don't want to swap my current unit out for a refurb in a brown box ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.