Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've seen videos of Gorilla glass devices like the Dell Streak being hammered and thrown and the glass just brushed it off like nothing. I just dropped my iPhone 4 on my driveway with a bumper case on it and the back totally shattered with spider webs. The drop was like less than a meter and landed flat back. It is definitely not gorilla glass, seems like it is cheap run of the mill window glass that shatters into shards (which my back did and a few pieces almost came off).

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I doubt the market for cases would be as huge if everyone actually thought the iPhone glass was that tough.

icstars989

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Gorilla Glass isn't miracle glass. A lot of android phones use it, and those break too. Granted it is stronger than the iphones, but when it comes down to it, glass is gonna break my man.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've seen videos of Gorilla glass devices like the Dell Streak being hammered and thrown and the glass just brushed it off like nothing. I just dropped my iPhone 4 on my driveway with a bumper case on it and the back totally shattered with spider webs. The drop was like less than a meter and landed flat back. It is definitely not gorilla glass, seems like it is cheap run of the mill window glass that shatters into shards (which my back did and a few pieces almost came off).

Did Apple ever say it was gorilla glass?
Anyways, it should be $29 to replace via Apple.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011

It costs almost nothing to fix the back. At least it wasn't the front.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Gorilla Glass is just specially tempered glass. If there was great enough force to the middle or edge of the glass, or concentrated enough into a point, the glass still shatters.

drummr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
The back is not the same glass as the front, that's why it's so cheap to replace and why it scratches much easier.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
The front is gorilla glass

There is absolutely no proof of this. Apple presumably would not spend millions of dollars in licensing to make iPhones with Gorilla Glass. The Gorilla Glass rumor has been around since the launch of the 4, but there has been no solid proof that is the actual product from Corning.

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
There is absolutely no proof of this. Apple presumably would not spend millions of dollars in licensing to make iPhones with Gorilla Glass. The Gorilla Glass rumor has been around since the launch of the 4, but there has been no solid proof that is the actual product from Corning.

true, but it is a tempered aluminosilicate glass that has the same features of corning's gorilla glass. i think peple just call it that out of sheer ignorance or are too lazy to type, "tempered aluminosilicate glass compound"

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
true, but it is a tempered aluminosilicate glass that has the same features of corning's gorilla glass. i think peple just call it that out of sheer ignorance or are too lazy to type, "tempered aluminosilicate glass compound"

Or the same reason that all tissues are called Kleenex or all lip balms are called Chapstick.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
all though i skipped the iphone 4 and perhaps the iphone 5 as well, if i did get one of these, i would just go ahead and by a couple of backs while i was at it.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Sounds to me like you're about due to drop your iPhone.

Tomorrow.

Don't get paranoid, though.

:)

Don't worry I wont.
If I do happen to drop it, $29 fixes the back. If the whole thing goes $199 gets me a new one. Not really a big deal.

Last edited:

rndthm

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010

Apple will not tell what the glass is and corning is not going to admit. The gorilla glass in the iphone is made at the corning plant in Harrodsburg, KY.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.