Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160542-verizon_iphone_mdm6600_500.jpg

Qualcomm's "world-mode" MDM6600 wireless chip found in CDMA iPhone 4 and iPad 2
(Source: iFixit's Verizon iPhone teardown)

As noted by Barron's, Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo revealed during a conference call discussing the carrier's earnings announcement that Apple's next iPhone will be a "global device", presumably referring to a world-mode phone supporting both GSM and CDMA connectivity rather than having separate models for each network standard.
Verizon CFO Fran Shammo, asked about the sluggishness of the company's ARPU growth in Q1, when the iPhone was introduced - growth was just 2.2%, compared to 2.5% in Q4, remarked:

"The fluctuation, I believe, will come when a new device from Apple is launched, whenever that may be, and that we will be, on the first time, on equal footing with our competitors on a new phone hitting the market, which will also be a global device."
The existing CDMA iPhone 4 already carries a world-mode wireless chip from Qualcomm inside it, but the company presumably opted to build the device as CDMA-only in order to simplify the antenna construction. The iPad 2 carries the same wireless chip, but Apple still decided not to build a universal global device capable of operating on either standard.

But if Shammo's comment is correct, it appears that Apple may finally make the leap to a single design supporting both CDMA and GSM with the release of the fifth-generation iPhone rumored for introduction in September.

Article Link: Verizon CFO Reveals Next iPhone to Be a 'Global Device'

douglaswilliams

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Oklahoma
"Also..."

He said "also" - the CDMA iPhone is already a "global device" - it just doesn't have all it's radios operating. How is this even a news article? This is no secret.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I hope this is true, particularly concerning the iPads. Having 18 different models to stock makes it a wee bit complicated to get the right balance.

Evmanw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I hope this is true, particularly concerning the iPads. Having 18 different models to stock makes it a wee bit complicated to get the right balance.

yes it would only be 9, which is so much less confusing!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
He said "also" - the CDMA iPhone is already a "global device" - it just doesn't have all it's radios operating.

Exactly. Though for the iPhone and iPad one would imagine they'd like to simplify their SKUs and not have separate models for gsm and cdma.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
He said "also" - the CDMA iPhone is already a "global device" - it just doesn't have all it's radios operating. How is this even a news article? This is no secret.
I believe the also refers to the fact that for the first time they will get an iPhone that is both released simultaneously on all carriers and also a global device. In other words, two of the weaknesses contributing to lower adoption of the Verizon iPhone 4 will have been removed.

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
THAT Would Be Huge!!!!

I never really considered buying an iPhone until I heard this.....if true, I'm in.

If not my 2005 flip phone ain't busted.....

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, let's just keep repeating the same predictions over and over. :rolleyes:

Guess what, the iPhone 5 is also prediced to not come out until September! Shocking isn't it? :p

Tony

Last edited:

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
This makes little sense. If the chip really was global, why would Apple sell two models of the ipad 2 3G? It seems the ATT version could be enabled to work on the Verizon network... It seems anyone buying the Verizon edition is getting scammed...

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Let's be honest he knows nothing. No way Verizon is coming out with a new iPhone version this soon after millions just signed 2-year contracts. That's not smart on any level many will be pissed.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, let's just keep repeating the same predictions over and over. :rolleyes:

Guess what, the iPhone 5 is also predicted to some not come out until September! Shocking isn't it? :p

Tony

Yes, that news is DUH! :)

Also, I think it will be available in white.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll believe it when I see it. The rumors in the past month have been all over the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.