Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hi,

You will notice a new feature we are testing. Each post now has an up/down arrow associated with it. Clicking on either arrow will record your vote for that post. Right now, the votes are simply tallied next to the post, but may be used in other ways in the future.

- You must be logged in for your vote to register
- Criteria for up/down voting should be relatively obvious. Posts you like or would like to see more of, you can up vote. Those you dislike you can downvote.
- Please continue to use the "report" post button to report spam and other rules vioations.
- Assume that your votes are public, even though at the moment there is no way to see how people have voted. That may change.

arn

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I was just about to ask what the heck these arrows are. This has been requested many times though, so lets see how it works.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Interesting. Although I suspect open to abuse (particularly in PRSI). Also they don't visually line up well with the other buttons...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I just noticed them as well. Was kinda surprised, but figured out what they were pretty quick!

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Good feature! The look doesn't match much of the rest of the forum theme, though.

Quick edit: what now? Can we filter a thread for only positive posts? Only posts above N points? Can we search for posts above a certain rating?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Good feature! The look doesn't match much of the rest of the forum theme, though.

Quick edit: what now? Can we filter a thread for only positive posts? Only posts above N points? Can we search for posts above a certain rating?

we'll be tweaking things and seeing about using the scores in more useful ways

arn

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
This was one of those 'always asked for but always denied for good reasons' features that everyone's been asking for. I guess now we get to find out if those fears come to light.

One thing though: we can't 'unvote'? I'm not familiar with other site's implementations so I'm not sure how it's done.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I don't see this ending well. See ratings for front page articles.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
What additional value does this provide?

I was thinking the same thing. What is the purpose and reasoning behind it? Maybe a little more insight.

I don't see this ending well. See ratings for front page articles.

I can see this going down in flames also especially in some of the other sections of the forums. IE PRSI and any thread LTD responds in! :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Here's my evidence that it will fail.

Attachments

• Apple_fan_boys.jpg
    Apple_fan_boys.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 196

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
The counter is crap anyway. It goes from -1 to +1 without a 0. And it seems completely random.

I noticed that too.

How many times has this idea been dismissed when suggested. It was always said it was a terrible idea that would add nothing.

What's changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.