Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Apple must be mad that they revealed this information

I think this will be one of the few things Apple is not going to care about. It was assumed and Verizon more than likely told Apple they wanted it to be a world device. Not hard for Apple to do and considering other smart phones Verizon carries are world phones it seems like the next logical step.

Now the world part might be Edge only but I do not see that being a huge issue.

apeman88

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2004
LTE fixes this....

Global issue solved, however problems still exist....it is still CDMA here in the US.

-Slow.
-Lack of data/voice multitasking.

Smartphones crave speed and multiple, concurrent voice/data tasks. CDMA just can't support it.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
I hope this time around Apple doesn't skip the 1700/AWS GSM frequencies. This will enable me to get an iPhone on my carrier. I pay $40 for unlimited everything, while my iPhone friends pay $100 for weak plans and low data caps.

Also, for US folks, this would mean T-Mobile compatibility.

Nokia has some phones with every GSM band, so could Apple if they wanted to.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
People already use the iphone on t-mobile. The only difference is it's edge speed only.
If adding all the bands doesn't affect the design of their phone, then Apple might be motivated to add the bands. However, they're less likely to make the phone thicker to accomodate people like you.
I hope this time around Apple doesn't skip the 1700/AWS GSM frequencies. This will enable me to get an iPhone on my carrier. I pay $40 for unlimited everything, while my iPhone friends pay $100 for weak plans and low data caps.

Also, for US folks, this would mean T-Mobile compatibility.

Nokia has some phones with every GSM band, so could Apple if they wanted to.

albatross83

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
yes it would only be 9, which is so much less confusing!

Worse, it would actually only be 12. Six devices (3 capacities, with and without GSM) times two colors. You'd only be getting rid of 6 (3 capacities with CDMA x 2 colors).

Though I think next time around they'll stick with two capacities (hopefully 64GB and 128GB) and lower the price by $100.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
I have about 12 days before I go abroad for 6 weeks. Please give me a iPhone 5 Global prototype. OK, Thanks! :D

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

DiamondGCoupe said:
Let's be honest he knows nothing. No way Verizon is coming out with a new iPhone version this soon after millions just signed 2-year contracts. That's not smart on any level many will be pissed.

I know that I, for one, won't be the least bit upset if they released the next iPhone so soon after I got my VZW iP4. Why, you may ask?

Because I have an iPhone.

It doesn't matter to me if its not the latest and greatest, because it's still one of the best smartphones out there. Not to mention I just absolutely love mine to death! :D

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
Does this mean the VZW iPhone 4S would have a SIM card slot? If so, it would surely not be unlocked, which would make it sort of pointless (or would be blatantly begging to be unlocked/hacked by dev team - the only plausible reason I can see for this is Big Red charging megabucks to enable your SIM card slot for overseas use).

On the other hand, if no SIM card slot is present, and it's just a way for the CDMA iPhone to roam on any network by paying megafees to VZW, most everyone will be very unhappy. :confused:

thebubbatex

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
If the iPhone is locked to verizon there wouldn t be much point in making it a "world" phone...

Does this mean the VZW iPhone 4S would have a SIM card slot? If so, it would surely not be unlocked, which would make it sort of pointless (or would be blatantly begging to be unlocked/hacked by dev team - the only plausible reason I can see for this is Big Red charging megabucks to enable your SIM card slot for overseas use).

On the other hand, if no SIM card slot is present, and it's just a way for the CDMA iPhone to roam on any network by paying megafees to VZW, most everyone will be very unhappy. :confused:

It would have a SIM card slot. In the past, Verizon has offered "world phones" - Blackberrys - that would only work on CDMA in the US and GSM elsewhere. Once they were jailbroken, they worked on ATT & T-M but only on EDGE. So I expect that Verizon will have a similar setup for a "world" iPhone.

icstars989

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Verizon worked so hard to get the iPhone. Now some idiot will ruin it for them. Stay classy Verizon.

What is your gripe with VZW? Every chance you get I see you bashing it one way or another? What have they done thats so bad to you that you have go out of your way and post on every possible VZ thread there is and say something snarky and most times ill informed? :confused:

markgo2k

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
It would have a SIM card slot. In the past, Verizon has offered "world phones" - Blackberrys - that would only work on CDMA in the US and GSM elsewhere. Once they were jailbroken, they worked on ATT & T-M but only on EDGE. So I expect that Verizon will have a similar setup for a "world" iPhone.

That's the real question: what form of carrier-locking? Would it really support an overseas pay-per-use cheap SIM while locking out all US carriers?

Related question: there's now a substantial number of phones whose 2 year initial lock-in period have expired. Why no legal unlock for these? Should we complain to Apple, to AT&T, or lobby the FCC for relief. It's been established that it's legal to unlock after inital commit, but on the iPhone, you've still got to jailbreak to do it.

kdarling

macrumors P6
That's the real question: what form of carrier-locking? Would it really support an overseas pay-per-use cheap SIM while locking out all US carriers?

Verizon's had many dual mode phones in the past few years, RIM and WinMo and others.

The answer is yes, if you're in good standing they'll usually unlock the GSM side so you can use local SIMs overseas.

Which is a bit funny, because it actually made a Verizon dual mode phone a better choice for world travel than a locked ATT iPhone.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Let's be honest he knows nothing. No way Verizon is coming out with a new iPhone version this soon after millions just signed 2-year contracts. That's not smart on any level many will be pissed.

Explain how a Verizon customer buying an iPhone 4 now would be any different than an AT&T customer buying an iPhone 4 now.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just don't jack up the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.