Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punisher1-1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
the problem I have been having is that my touch screen becomes unresponsive when using the phone app. For example if I have an incoming call sometimes I am unable to switch calls due to the screen being unresponsive. Also I can almost never push the end button as it doesn't respond. I tried a full restore to no avail and I really don't want a refurbished phone unless absolutely necessary. So I was just wondering if it was one of the updates that could have caused this since the problem recently started when I upgraded to 4.3. Also my phone is not jailbroken and is still in mint condition never dropped or anything like that. Any suggestions?

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
the problem I have been having is that my touch screen becomes unresponsive when using the phone app. For example if I have an incoming call sometimes I am unable to switch calls due to the screen being unresponsive. Also I can almost never push the end button as it doesn't respond. I tried a full restore to no avail and I really don't want a refurbished phone unless absolutely necessary. So I was just wondering if it was one of the updates that could have caused this since the problem recently started when I upgraded to 4.3. Also my phone is not jailbroken and is still in mint condition never dropped or anything like that. Any suggestions?

My iPhone 4 is 4.3 from factory and it's working fine (it's less than a week old though).

Try to send phone to repair or something like that. But if it's only unresponsive in Phone app, it may be solved with a reset (although I'm pretty sure there are simpler solutions).

BTW if phone was jailbroken there would be no problems since you restore to OFW then :p

1stalban

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Curious

I was wondering if you had found a resolution to this issue. I have the same problem and discovered that I have to hit the power button on top to turn off and then back on in order for everything to work properly.
I agree that I'd rather not get a refurbed phone if there's a "fix" that I'm just missing.

bmservice

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
Seems like something problem with the hardware.Try to send phone to repair if still within warrant.

Taryntula

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
iPhone 4 touch screen works 50% of time

I took my iPhone4 into the Apple store and they fed me this nonesense that it was a corruption with my back-up that was causing the touchscreen issues. I've read on other forums that this has lead people to wipe their phone and do a complete system restore to no avail. Basically, I believe it is a hardware problem that Apple is ignoring and tryimg to pass off as a software or back up issue.

1stalban

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Curious

...as to whether anyone has discovered a solution. I'm now on my fourth phone with the issue some have described. After making or receiving a call, my touch screen is completely unresponsive. I have to hit the power button to off then back on and everything works fine.
I've done a new restore and even had tech support clear everything to factory settings and it does the same thing. This problem has persisted with every phone I've had.
I'm working with Apple Care on it but get the feeling they're stumped. It's almost as if the heat from my face causes this but even that seems unlikely. It happens regardless of how long I'm on the phone and it works IMMEDIATELY after I power off then on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.