Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Its not stupid to seek and obtain rights to hold music and stream it because in the end when the music is uploaded to the Apple sky pie, you are essentially placing the content you purchased, burned, etc. in their digital hands. They were not the original purchaser of the content and therefore are required to obtain permissions to hold this music as a third party for you.

It makes perfect sense. Please think it through before you post.

Call Amazon and let their lawyers know. For some reason they arrived at a different conclusion.

jreffner

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Amazon Tactics Admired!

If I can upload my ripped CDs, then great. If not, then this will be worthless.

Nothing against Apple, but I really admire Amazon's latest FU stance on this issue. They refuse to get any streaming license from any company, and instead are doing it anyway. I know this seems reckless to some, but I for one am pleased to see someone stand up to the record companies. I think that the fact that they demand streaming rights is disgusting, and the perfect example of how horribly greedy they are. I understand the need to buy the CD, the album or track download, but one yo've bought it, you should be able to "stream" it from your CD player, AppleTV, Discman, iPod, iPhone, or cloud based service. I fail to see why the record companies should get paid to stream the song they already sold once. It is the cellular and internet providers who will carry the bandwidth of the stream songs, and yet the record companies want to be paid twice. Once for the purchace of the song. A second time for a clound to ear stream. When will it end? Will a new charge be made when I "stream" if from my CD player to my ears? What about my iPod to my ears? How about my car's CD player to my ears. It's terrible.

Again, nothing against Apple for trying to "do it the right way", but sometimes "the right way" isn't always the right way. Kudos to Amazon. Fight it guys!

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
This has to be for some sort of subscription plan. This whole "bucket in the cloud" thing seems to make no sense. Why would apple spend all of this money on a data center just so you can store your music elsewhere ?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Sorry, but if Apple inked deals with Warner and others to allow me to put music I own into a cloud so I can stream it, they are stupid.

Amazon has it right, do it, don't ask permission, don't look back.

Amazon's attitude is probably why Apple has been able to lock these deals down, because they did it the right way.

After the Apple deal is done and released, Amazon will suffer the reprecussions for their actions.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If the industry goes down the cloud route then every device will have to a be a 3G device. A WiFi only model would just not be feasible as if you have cloud storage and walk away from your home you could not access anything.

Then you have the issue of data costs, even if you only upload when you are back home on a faster WiFi connection, and even then at home upload speeds are really too slow to be very practical for much data.

I'm sure it's going to come, but the infrastructure has to be in place, at high speeds with cheap prices before such things are at all practical.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
I have not even bought a single song from the iTunes Store. If they allow ripped CDs to have cloud storage, fine. If not, they are just showing their greed all over again.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I have not even bought a single song from the iTunes Store. If they allow ripped CDs to have cloud storage, fine. If not, they are just showing their greed all over again.

Yup, same for me.

Have never bought a single tune from iTunes and never will.
Have never bought a single video from iTunes and never will.

I have bought Apps, as that's the only legal way to get software onto my iPad.

I've never bought any video from the Xbox Marketplace, and only every bought 1 cheap game from the Xbox marketplace.

I've never bought one thing from the PS3 Playstation online store.

I've never bought anything from STEAM online either.

I've never bought any eBooks either.

Sadly however, I will just have to stand back and watch the sheep buying virtual media blindly taking us all to the slaughter house, where eventually the media will be in full control of all the date we own, and eventually there will be almost no physical media left for sale, to give to friends/family/charity, swap with friends/family, or sell on to people/shops to get money back to purchase a new item.

As we do with cars, houses, computers, anything else we buy.

Sadly this seems so far away for many (well it's not happening today) that they can't see this inevitable outcome.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Yup, same for me.

Have never bought a single tune from iTunes and never will.
Have never bought a single video from iTunes and never will.

I have bought Apps, as that's the only legal way to get software onto my iPad.

I've never bought any video from the Xbox Marketplace, and only every bought 1 cheap game from the Xbox marketplace.

I've never bought one thing from the PS3 Playstation online store.

I've never bought anything from STEAM online either.

I've never bought any eBooks either.

Sadly however, I will just have to stand back and watch the sheep buying virtual media blindly taking us all to the slaughter house, where eventually the media will be in full control of all the date we own, and eventually there will be almost no physical media left for sale, to give to friends/family/charity, swap with friends/family, or sell on to people/shops to get money back to purchase a new item.

As we do with cars, houses, computers, anything else we buy.

Sadly this seems so far away for many (well it's not happening today) that they can't see this inevitable outcome.

Just because you don't believe in something, doesn't make everyone who does a "sheep".

Your views, while interesting, may be a bit misguided. You can download an album, copy it to a CD and share it with friends and family. Charity? Really? Do you really donate CD's to charity?

As far as books, you can look at it a few different ways. No, you can't sell them back. But if we are talking about new releases especially, you are also paying half the price for an e-book. So the investment, even if you are able to sell back to a used book store ends up being about break even. For me, and a lot of people I know, including my baby boomer mother, e-books have made it easier to read. I've read more on my iPhone and iPad in the last year than in the previous decade probably. And that is a good thing.

Of course, everyone has different uses for these things. But just because you don't doesn't make it worthless for everyone else.

And frankly, I'm in more control over my e-books and music than I am over my house, which technically the bank owns for another 25 years. Same with my 2 cars. Good for you if you own your house and cars outright...but not the best example in the world.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Just because you don't believe in something, doesn't make everyone who does a "sheep".

Your views, while interesting, may be a bit misguided. You can download an album, copy it to a CD and share it with friends and family. Charity? Really? Do you really donate CD's to charity?

As far as books, you can look at it a few different ways. No, you can't sell them back. But if we are talking about new releases especially, you are also paying half the price for an e-book. So the investment, even if you are able to sell back to a used book store ends up being about break even. For me, and a lot of people I know, including my baby boomer mother, e-books have made it easier to read. I've read more on my iPhone and iPad in the last year than in the previous decade probably. And that is a good thing.

Of course, everyone has different uses for these things. But just because you don't doesn't make it worthless for everyone else.

And frankly, I'm in more control over my e-books and music than I am over my house, which technically the bank owns for another 25 years. Same with my 2 cars. Good for you if you own your house and cars outright...but not the best example in the world.

Yes, I know things are not as I state "Now"
"Now" we can still buy music on CD's, Films on DVD's and BluRays, Books make from tree's etc etc.

Now, outside the "Apple tech" corner of the world, things are still happily as they were and people who work hard, buy things, get physical things for their money, and when they have finished with them, they are free to do with them as they wish.

I can, for example, on a Sunday go down to my Car Boot Sale, in the US I believe it's called a Flea Market, and buy from other individuals their unwanted CD's, Movies, Games, Books second hand.

We are free to do this.

Many old people (and yes we will all be old one day) don't have the money to spend $5, $10, $15 on one book to read at home for example.

I admit, it's all cool, hip, trendy and sci-fi to pay online, stream from the cloud in your wifi enabled area's ect ect.

I just don't like what I can see as the inevitable future of all of this.

Companies will love the ideas of virtual media that costs them nothing to duplicate, many people made unemployed who have livings all tied up with physical items, and every single person has to pay the full new price for every single item they want, and perhaps also pay again when they wish to change from one make of device to another.

Will we be given free rights to move on-line purchased content onto other makes/models of viewing device in the future, or will be be expected to buy the same thing again? And, or course, not be able to sell our old collection as it's non transferable.

So, (as a real world example) you would not be allowed to sell your DVD collection to partially fund a new BluRay collection. Your BluRay player, would of course still be able to play your DVD's if you wanted to keep them.

It's not so much that I don't "Believe" in it. I just think that many people are blind to the inevitable end result and only then will they actually realise when it's too late.

I am all for online purchased of data, but there are safeguards and rights for consumers that need to be put into place that don't exist now.

Your right to use the data on different devices once you have purchased it.
If data is locked to one makers device, then that data should be very very cheap to compensate you for this limitation.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Will we be given free rights to move on-line purchased content onto other makes/models of viewing device in the future, or will be be expected to buy the same thing again? And, or course, not be able to sell our old collection as it's non transferable.

So, (as a real world example) you would not be allowed to sell your DVD collection to partially fund a new BluRay collection. Your BluRay player, would of course still be able to play your DVD's if you wanted to keep them.

It's not so much that I don't "Believe" in it. I just think that many people are blind to the inevitable end result and only then will they actually realise when it's too late.

I am all for online purchased of data, but there are safeguards and rights for consumers that need to be put into place that don't exist now.

Your right to use the data on different devices once you have purchased it.
If data is locked to one makers device, then that data should be very very cheap to compensate you for this limitation.

Only time will tell what rights we will be given with all of our virtual media. But it's not like this is the first time it has happened when new forms of media came out. Unless you found some way to play all of your VHS tapes in your DVD player, or all of your cassette tapes in your CD player. With those transitions, people most certainly paid for the same media twice.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Only time will tell what rights we will be given with all of our virtual media. But it's not like this is the first time it has happened when new forms of media came out. Unless you found some way to play all of your VHS tapes in your DVD player, or all of your cassette tapes in your CD player. With those transitions, people most certainly paid for the same media twice.

Indeed, and you are quite correct.
And I have done the same thing.

Many years ago I purchased "ELO Out of the Blue" on a double LP, with a gorgeous fold out double album cover artwork.

Since then I bought the same Album on CD (pity kids today can't enjoy the superb artwork that I enjoyed as I did) as they only got a small CD insert.

Now or course, you would just buy it online as some mp3 files.
I won't of course as I don't need to, I can just ripp the CD to any new MP3 players.

I sold many of my records and I also had video's that I sold too.

Yes, we do, as time goes by, sometimes buy the same "data" more than once, but till very recently we have been able to get some money back from our past purchases, or if we are feeling generous give them away to friends or charity shops.

To be totally honest, I don't know myself what the current rules are with iTunes and movies.
As of today, if I pay, let's say $15 (same price as some physical media I may do as I wish with) to buy a 720p movie from iTunes, then I decide I don't want to stay with Apple, but I wish to move to a Honeycomb tablet, can I legally copy these movies over to enjoy on my new device?

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010

Not really. CDs are going to be tricky to get into any deal because of the fact that you might not own them at all. Until every album sold that way has some sort of untransferable DRM, there's going to be no difference between ripping a legitimate CD and one you've copied from someone else or illegally downloaded files. It's going to be hard to get the labels onside with that, it's common sense, although it'd be nice to be wrong.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If I can upload my ripped CDs, then great. If not, then this will be worthless.

Nothing against Apple, but I really admire Amazon's latest FU stance on this issue. They refuse to get any streaming license from any company, and instead are doing it anyway. I know this seems reckless to some, but I for one am pleased to see someone stand up to the record companies. I think that the fact that they demand streaming rights is disgusting, and the perfect example of how horribly greedy they are. I understand the need to buy the CD, the album or track download, but one yo've bought it, you should be able to "stream" it from your CD player, AppleTV, Discman, iPod, iPhone, or cloud based service. I fail to see why the record companies should get paid to stream the song they already sold once. It is the cellular and internet providers who will carry the bandwidth of the stream songs, and yet the record companies want to be paid twice. Once for the purchace of the song. A second time for a clound to ear stream. When will it end? Will a new charge be made when I "stream" if from my CD player to my ears? What about my iPod to my ears? How about my car's CD player to my ears. It's terrible.

Again, nothing against Apple for trying to "do it the right way", but sometimes "the right way" isn't always the right way. Kudos to Amazon. Fight it guys!

About like how Google did with the Google TV. So how did that work out in the end for them?

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Reality check...Apple, like Amazon, like Google are businesses and they are out to make money in some form or another. Having said that, it is likely they may charge for this service but it is more likely they will offer this as a free service to entice you to sign up for something like an enhanced version of mobile me.

You need the reality check.

Apple and Music labels agreeing to give something like this free? You haven't got a clue.

Besides, the service is not required. it is optional. If you don't want to use it, the answer is don't. That simple.

Really, i never would of thought of that.

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
I'm sure some will be on cloud 9 as the slang goes, but I find the whole cloud concept silly. The day I need my music on the go that bad, I should probably see a shrink, or anything else for that matter. A terabyte drive is fairly cheap, I'd rather keep my things local and secure.

kingledley

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
I think the fact that they're getting licenses means users will be able to upload non-iTunes purchased stuff as well. I'd imagine it will be much like Lala, where it will scan your music collection and match it with what's in the iTunes database, and then whatever isn't will be uploaded.

Hopefully Ping can be put to good use too. I like the way with Spotify you can search your friends' playlists, and it's connected through Facebook. Obviously there won't be free streaming like Spotify, but being able to share a playlist and allow friends to listen once to decide if they like it could be cool. Ping should certainly have some sort of web interface to make it easier to navigate than the painfully cumbersome iTunes page.

Can see the whole thing costing quite a bit though. Probably similar to what Spotify charge for their premium service (£10 a month), which isn't too much if it works well. Hopefully those that have recently renewed their MobileMe subscriptions (like myself) will get it automatically!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.