Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

013535-mbp.jpg

MacRumors has heard reliable confirmation that the next revision of Apple's MacBook Pro line will utilize a new case design for the first time in several years.

The possibility of a new case design was first revealed by iLounge in February just before the early 2011 MacBook Pros were released. iLounge described the most recent updates as the last "incremental" update before an all-new MacBook Pro design.
Next year is the year when Apple will introduce an all new design for the MacBook Pro product family, which is already under development at Quanta in Taiwan. It’s being described as a big, “milestone” release for the Pro family, as compared with the speed bump features that will be introduced in [February's] models.
The last time the MacBook Pro was redesigned was in late 2008 with the introduction of the unibody MacBook Pro. The unibody MacBook Pro design which remains in use today offers an iMac-inspired design with a black-bezel and aluminum unibody casing. Unfortunately, we have no specifics on what the next MacBook Pro might look like, though many have previously speculated that Apple will take cues from the MacBook Air line.

Article Link: Next MacBook Pro to Get New Case Design

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
The unibody was already a giant leap forward. How much better can Apple get?

I'm more interested in the specifications, and hardware (electronics) not so much the casing.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I like the current iteration sans the glass. What would really interest me would be a transition to liquidmetal allowing for a lighter and stronger case. I'm sure many will speculate an end to the CD/DVD drive with this one but I wouldn't be so sure.

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
The unibody was already a giant leap forward. How much better can Apple get?

I'm more interested in the specifications, and hardware (electronics) not so much the casing.

Well they arent going to get worse are they!!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Oh boy I've been trying to hold strong with my perfectly working 2009 MBP and not give in to any updates... This is the longest I've gone with a computer since I started using Macs lol...... But a case re-design might be too much for me.

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Hilarious to all those people who jumped on the THUNDERBOLT bandwagon. No thunderbolt devices yet and they have the hideous old case design.

:rolleyes:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Great, I've been hungering for a new Macbook Pro for quite some time, and was hoping I could hold out long enough to get a non-ugly model :)

I can't stand the UB look.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Thinner, no optical...perhaps SSD only?

I'd prefer a smaller bezel the same color as the MBA. Say, 1/4" or a little smaller? Larger trackpad for more gestures?

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Sure they can get worse. They can make them thinner and even worse at dissipating heat. Form over function.

But I meant design looks wise...

If they make them worse at dissipating it is only because the chips can handle it.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Liquid metal? Carbon fiber? No SuperDrive option? Yes that is a lot of question marks.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hilarious to all those people who jumped on the THUNDERBOLT bandwagon. No thunderbolt devices yet and they have the hideous old case design.

Erm...i'm guessing they bought it for Quad-Core/AMD 6750 rather than Thunderbolt. Also really? hideous?

Bodie

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
Pioneer, CA
Hmmmm

I love my unibody. So I may have to stock up before the change. Ha ha. :D

My first thought tho was carbon fiber. Seems like there were some rumors about that. But I'm sure the aluminum body helps in cooling. So I wonder how CF would work. Perhaps a hybrid config.

HaiRy

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007

That's just idiotic. I upgraded from a 2006 MB to a 2011 15" i7, to say I'm satisfied is an understatement. Hideous it is not even near - I've played with the new designs before but nothing comes close to it sitting on your desk.

You're getting all pissy over something that's just a rumour and you don't even know if you're going to like it or not!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.