Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

143129-iphone_4_maps_compass.jpg

In what shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, Bloomberg briefly reports that a lawsuit has been filed in U.S. federal court targeting Apple over privacy concerns related to location information being stored on iOS devices and in backups for those devices. The lawsuit is almost certainly the first of many regarding this issue.Apple Inc. (AAPL) was sued for alleged privacy invasion and computer fraud by two customers who claim the company is secretly recording and storing the location and movement of iPhone and iPad users, according to a federal complaint filed today in Tampa, Florida.As we noted earlier today, Apple CEO Steve Jobs has reportedly replied to a customer email denying that Apple is tracking its customers and labeling the claims being widely discussed as "false".

Update: Bloomberg has now published an expanded article offering additional detail on the lawsuit."We take issue specifically with the notion that Apple is now basically tracking people everywhere they go," Aaron Mayer, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said today in a telephone interview. "If you are a federal marshal you have to have a warrant to do this kind of thing, and Apple is doing it without one."The two plaintiffs, an iPhone user in Florida and an iPad user in New York, are asking a judge to bar Apple from collecting the location data and requesting refunds for the purchase prices for their devices, claiming that they would not have bought them if they had known about the data collection.

Apple has declined to officially comment on the lawsuit.

Article Link: Federal Lawsuit Filed Over Apple's Location Tracking in iOS [Updated]

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Strange Google is not on the lawsuit since they do the same. I guess its Apple turn to deal with privacy.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Only Apple? The Android system does the same thing, AND sends the information off to Google. The iPhone/iPad just logs the data to a file. Seems a bit unfair to me, but we'll see.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
I haven't read this lawsuit, so I don't know if they're claiming things that aren't true... but I really do not like the fact that the iPhone has a breadcrumbs database of my travels for the last 3 years!

This type of thing should not happen without users' knowledge... and it was. Or else this file would not be news!

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Wounded, Apple will go on strike and remove all GPS from future devices now. ;)

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Ah, the perfect storm! A (probable) bug that does not clip the data the way Google does it, a story that gets reported months ago and then it forgotten, a new story that appears and blows it way out of proportion, news articles that imply Apple is SPYING ON YOU (even though Apple does not get this information), and lots of ignorance spewed all over the Web.

Natually this leads to stupid lawsuits. This is America, dammit!

*sigh* This is turning into another Antennagate, misinformation and all. Steve is going to have to do more than that email to get people to shut up about what is a very small issue that is being exploded into a very large misinformation campaign.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
but I really do not like the fact that the iPhone has a breadcrumbs database of my travels for the last 3 years!

This type of thing should not happen without users' knowledge... and it was. Or else this file would not be news!

I too don't like the idea of a device saving my location. On the other hand when I am using the Maps app for driving directions which sends my current location to Google, I would be naive to think that information isn't being stored somewhere.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
But the government allows automakers to install black boxes in your car. In which the data could potentially be used against you.

jalman11

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
i guarantee

there is fine print somewhere about this...

I'm presuming that this data is not transmitted back to apple, therefore, should we also be upset that our own apple iphones and our own itunes backups "secretly" log our text messages and call logs... the horror.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
"privacy invasion"? How? Neither the file nor any of the information in it goes anywhere but the user's iOS device and their computer.

Are they going to sue AT&T or Verizon too? The carriers have the same location information.

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
Amazing…

That something that could be explained in two lines by someone in the know has to go to a Federal lawsuit. Clearly Apple is trying to avoid getting drawn into a privacy discussion, because as we know, there's no end to the absurd lengths people will declare their rights trod upon.

Someone's trying to make a "big thing®" out of this.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Hope nobody tells these lawyers that anybody who can access the location data can also get at the address book and text messages - OMG PRIVACY VIOLATION!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.