Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, we pointed to a report from media research firm Nielsen indicating that Apple's iOS was just barely holding off Android in smartphone usage in the United States. But continued strong growth from Android that saw the platform easily leading the pack among the most recent smartphone acquirers left little doubt that Android would quickly pass iOS in total penetration.

150148-nielsen_mar11_share.jpg

New Nielsen data from March but released today shows just that, with Android now taking the overall lead with 37% of the market in the U.S., ahead of iOS which continues to hold steady at 27%. Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform has continued its slide and is now down to 22%.

150148-nielsen_mar11_recent.jpg

Just looking at those who acquired smartphones in the six months leading up to the March survey, Android's lead is even stronger with a full 50% of users opting for the platform. Apple polled in second place at 25% while Research in Motion dropped to 15%.

150148-nielsen_mar11_next.jpg

Nielsen also took a look at future buying plans, assessing those consumers planning to purchase a smartphone sometime within the following year from the date of the survey. According to the latest data, Android now edges out iOS, 31% to 30%, a significant change from the July-September 2010 period when iOS held a 33%-26% lead over Android among future smartphone purchasers.

Article Link: Android Jumps Past iOS in Overall U.S. Smartphone Usage

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Some will be bothered about IOS not being the most dominant. I personally don't care, I just want the best mobile OS.

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
I really hope that Apple sees trends like this and realizes it's time to change their game plan. No more once a year phones. Time to kick the innovation level up a few notches. Time for over the air OS updates, over the air app installs, wireless syncing and everything else Android has offered for some time now.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Good. It will force apple to innovate! I like iOS but it could be a lot better, which is why I jailbreak for a few different purposes

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Who cares? I thought this was macrumors not android news...

I also thought it was Macrumors and not iPhonerumors :)

Macrumors is just the name of the site, whatever "rumors" get posted just have to somehow relate to Apple I guess.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
One interesting thing to note. Apple held 25% of recent acquirers with 2 phone models. The iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. They are also on only 2 carriers, and have only been with Verizon for part of the time leading up to the march survey. Android however is on dozens of handsets and all four US carriers. I would say apple is doing amazingly well when you consider those specifics.

I am not worried about iOS not having a larger chunk of the market, I am blown away that it has 25%.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
I really hope that Apple sees trends like this and realizes it's time to change their game plan. No more once a year phones. Time to kick the innovation level up a few notches. Time for over the air OS updates, over the air app installs, wireless syncing and everything else Android has offered for some time now.

iOS does over the air app installs. Other than that, yes I agree that Apple needs to do those things.

Oh, and I use Android because it's the only option on my carrier (its the least repulsive option anyway). But it sucks, and doesn't seem to be getting any better. I think the only reason it is seeing growth like it is is because of cheap hardware, and, as in my case, being the only real option on certain networks.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Some will be bothered about IOS not being the most dominant. I personally don't care, I just want the best mobile OS.

iOS is neither, at the moment. I suppose that might change with iOS 5.0. I certainly hope it does. But with it looking like Apple is phoning in the iPhone 5th gen, I suspect these numbers will be crushing a year from now.

I suspect by that time Android will hold fully 50% marketshare.

Gottis

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
inevitable as android devices are available everywhere and in every price segment. remember, half of all American workers earn $505 or less per week.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I thought Android was a terrible OS, but I am still extremely impressed that iOS is where it is. Considering a lot of manufactures are using Android now, this is still pretty impressive iOS is able to be the second from the top on three devices iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, although the report does state mobile phone usage so it might just include the iPhone and not the other two i mentioned

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Anyone know what the figures are for the UK?

I get the feeling Apple products are a lot more common in the US and they have a more loyal following.

I see more people with a larger variety of devices in the UK, which is nice. Good to see individuals selecting handsets that suit them, rather than just following the pack.

I'd be interested to see UK market share, Nokia would have a higher share here to I guess. Albeit nothing like that it was a few years ago.

Actually I'd expect there to be a lot of non smart phones still in the UK, on old 18 or 24 month contracts coming to an end, so smartphone share could well jump a lot in the next year of so in the UK. Be interesting to see which way it goes.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Who cares? I thought this was macrumors not android news...

It's just the name of the website. The truth of the matter is that in reality it's Apple rumors, or Apple news. Can't be superficial and limit something just because of its name.

And the story here it's about the iphone moving back to second place. So it's an iphone/Apple related article.

srathi

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
inevitable as android devices are available everywhere and in every price segment. remember, half of all American workers earn $505 or less per week.

This argument is getting old now. As usual, iFans are in denial.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
As much as I want to see Apple sell phones, I also like to see healthy competition to keep away anti-trust issues. Apple is for people who like quality high-end stuff and Android is for Kmart shoppers ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.