Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
This is pretty cool, since it means we can measure how thick color is.

As far as light goes, where black is the absence of all color, white is the presence of all colors.

Clearly, this means all those extra colors in white are making the phone thicker.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Someone will make a case. Do you think these established companies want some newjack to come in and steal their entire market? Once you buy a case and like it, you typically stay with that company for your next one. Businesses would rather make money instead of making points.

There is not a huge market for the white iPhone and there may not be that much money to be made. Yes, a smaller case manufacturer may come out with something, but not somebody like Speck or Incase. Considering the delay of the white iphone and the iPhone 5 that many are waiting for, how many of these things are going to be sold? I just don't think a large case maker is going to find it economical to make a new case (if necessary), with the iPhone 5 potentially coming in the summer.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I really dont get how people are not seeing this in the photo...its blatantly obvious that its bigger. Take a look at my 'digitally enhanced' (HA!) version:

attachment.php

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I can tell you from first hand experience many of the knock off conversion kits have a slightly thicker battery door which causes issues with certain cases - mostly hard ones, like snap on back covers or sliders.

They simply don't fit. They're just a hair off due to the thicker door.

I've also seen some white doors which are fine and fit with all cases.

Not saying these pics aren't of the Apple iPhone 4 or not......

Agreed. This is what I was saying (or trying to) in my earlier post. That many of the existing replacement backplates out there are just ever so slightly thicker than the stock black battery door, and therefore mess up the fit of quite a few cases. I know most of the aluminum "sandwich" design cases I use (where front and back pieces screw together) won't fit at all if the battery door is even a hair thicker, due to the precise measurements those cases are made to.

likwidplastik

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
"A colleague of mine just picked up a 16 GB iPhone 4 in white. I was a bit surprised when I picked it up off his desk (I had my black 32 GB in my other hand at the same time) – it immediately felt thicker."

LOL, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Also, why is everyone feeling so sorry for the case makers...like Apple is screwing them over? It's not their responsibility to cater to the case makers.

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
Agreed. This is what I was saying (or trying to) in my earlier post. That many of the existing replacement backplates out there are just ever so slightly thicker than the stock black battery door, and therefore mess up the fit of quite a few cases. I know most of the aluminum "sandwich" design cases I use (where front and back pieces screw together) won't fit at all if the battery door is even a hair thicker, due to the precise measurements those cases are made to.

Exactly.

So either these pics are of a conversion kit white iPhone or these kits in fact followed the same specs of the Apple white door - which is slightly bigger too.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I just did that, and loaded one of them into Photoshop for a little measurement. Here is what I got:

That ones not really too accurate due to the camera angle...its on a slope.

Also just run this through myself.

I get 79.2 on the White iPhone and 78.9 on the black. Given that I also had to level the image that sounds about right. Theres no way you can call your or my results accurate from a wonky photo however as photoshop attempts to enhance an image when rotating to level, thus distorting the original.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
1mm thicker, but the 30 or so people voting negatively are waaaaayyy thicker, and that rating system on the front page is colossally thick... and it's not enough that pretty much everyone hates that rating system, now we even have a rating system for posts... talk about anal retentiveness... :mad::apple:

djpic

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Question ?

Everyone here seemed to have bought the black iphone 4 and now are buying the white iphone 4? I think that is stupid, why not just wait for iphone 5????

Plus, you buy a white iphone then putting a case on it? lol, why not just buy a white case for your black phone? :confused:

Sorry, I love apple products but these complains and (no offense) re-buyers of a $299+ product just for a color change is ridiculous. Plus is anyone out of contract yet? So you are renewing your contract and paying $299+ for old technology. :eek: This gives all us other apple enthusiasts a bad name (as being people without any common sense).

How many are waiting for the 'nano colored' one???? :p

Matt-M

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
Nashua, NH
That ones not really too accurate due to the camera angle...its on a slope.

It was on a slope. I used a guide line in Photoshop and rotated the original photo 0.9 degrees CCW to remove the slope. Check my photo vs. the original.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I really dont get how people are not seeing this in the photo...its blatantly obvious that its bigger. Take a look at my 'digitally enhanced' (HA!) version:

Your arrow is pointing at the back edge of the phone because it's slightly raised.

If you zoom in on the photo your can also tell the white iPhone is maybe quarter of a mm further forward. It's only a pixel or two on the photo.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It was on a slope. I used a guide line in Photoshop and rotated the original photo 0.9 degrees CCW to remove the slope. Check my photo vs. the original.

(Updated my post, not sure if you saw it)

Photoshop will enhance/correct photos when levelling so by rotating it you are distorting the image, thus making the results invalid. Its simply not possible to get an accurate result on an image you've had to distort.

Either way, this is a pointless argument/analysis as its impossible to tell without being able to physically put a few iPhones from different batches together to get a real physical comparison.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Exactly.

So either these pics are of a conversion kit white iPhone or these kits in fact followed the same specs of the Apple white door - which is slightly bigger too.

I could now see it being either of these two possibilities. Originally I just chalked it up to the aftermarket stuff being cheaply made and not being manufactured to precise measurements, but if the Apple white OEM parts are in fact thicker, it's obvious these aftermarket makers already somehow knew of the increase in thickness, and were following those specs (and have been for quite some time now).

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Of course, another possibility is that the black iPhone has become thinner due to abrasion from everyday use. :p

TimmyDee

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
"A colleague of mine just picked up a 16 GB iPhone 4 in white. I was a bit surprised when I picked it up off his desk (I had my black 32 GB in my other hand at the same time) – it immediately felt thicker."

LOL, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Also, why is everyone feeling so sorry for the case makers...like Apple is screwing them over? It's not their responsibility to cater to the case makers.

I completely agree. No one can pick something up and "immediately" tell that it's 0.25 mm thicker than another object. I call BS.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Case!?

So you've waited this long for the white iPhone 4, then you put it in the case!? ROFL!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.