Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone with experience with this product?

I have a G5 that is functioning in a room without a cable hookup. I purchased a Rosewill RNX-N2X USB Wireless Adapter to connect to my G5 to my wireless router. The install seemed to go well. I setup a profile, entered by password, and the The Rosewill Utility says I have a connection to my router however, in my Mac Network System Preferences page, the USB connection says "USB Ethernet (en1) has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect". Indeed, I am not connected. I have selected Configure using DHCP.

I have read the manual which is not helpful. I plan on calling Rosewill tech support later, but thought I would throw this question out in the meantime hoping to get some easy configuration adjustment advice. Thanks!
-Dave

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well guys, I jut got off tech support to told me they really don't support Macs and I asked him then why did the box say supports MacOX10.3, .4, and .5? The tech support guy did tell me to go to my Network System Prefs where I have a USB Ethernet (indicating the wireless adapter) that says "connected" and the Rosewill Utility that came with this unit shows me connected to my local network.

Somewhere there is a broken link between my Mac hardware and this wireless adapter. Anyone have an idea of what it could be? In Network Prefs I've tried using both DHCP and Manual IP, but neither have worked.
Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Update: I got my Rosewill Trident X RNX-N2X wireless adapter working no thanks to "we don't really support Macs" Rosewill Tech support. I basically willed it to work. :p When I first hooked this up to my G5 Mac, I was getting a self generated IP address. I setup a connection to my home network, including passoword and created a profile. It said I was connected to my home network but I could not get online with it. I updated the Rosewill Utility, no help. In the Network Preferences Page, it also showed I was connected. So I started looking through the different pages of the Rosewill Utility. On the WPS page there were some settings like Config Mode, choices were Enrollee and Registrar. I have no idea what they mean but I switched it to Registrar. Then I noticed that a box for 'Auto select the AP' (which I have no idea what that does) was unchecked. When I checked it *vio-la* I had a good IP address and now I am online. Hurrah! Stumbling around sometimes, it actually works. :D:D No need to return it now.

$25 is much better than $70 for an airport card...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Update No.2: Connection dies, frequent self generated IP. It does not look like this RNX-N2X is going to work for me. It should not be this hard. Sending back... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.