Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I just don't know what the fiscal advantage is to keeping their clunky system in-house and betting a $4.5M domain name will help Store Geniuses meet their attach rate quotas.

What makes you think they are going to keep the old system and just change the name? there is a high probability the new server farm they are building will have a lot to do with this, it'll be more than just a facelift.

Atkins

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Tokyo
The problem with .Me is all in your mind. No one really cares what the extension is, it just a means to an end. Short suffixes are must easier, whatever they are.

Of course it's in his mind, it is his opinion after all.
But there have been countless studies on how people are subconsciously influenced by almost everything they see. That's one of the reasons why marketing departments have work. And then we see different car models with different names for different countries.
And I would say that .me isn't a very good choice. It just doesn't mean squat. Given that they must call it something, better use some word that will send a message or advertise the platform.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
How can anyone see this as great news?

its an UPGRADE...not a transfer, not a conversion, not a migration...an UPGRADE.

For Apple Upgrade = $$$. Simply put, we're probably once again going to be shafted by an idiotic $100 /year fee for a slow iDisk replacement...think I'll stick with S3 for now! :eek:

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
This is great news if it means the end of mobile me. Die Mobile Me - DIE DIE DIE. Anything will be better than the self centered sounding @me.com. I simply will not use the email address in a professional context. Don't mind @Mac.com, and still use it, but @me.com sends the wrong message.

Oh my goodness, the irony.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Until MobileMe/iCloud is more full featured and cheaper than Google's/DropBox services, then I don't really care.

M thoughts exactly especially since I don't plan on use music streaming for now..

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I hope this means that MobileMe will become a free service, and "Castle" will be an upgrade from that. I just can't see myself paying for an upgrade on top of the (barely justifiable) charge for the current MobileMe.

[insert gripe about the state of iDisk here]

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
What's with all the names changes?

iTools -> .Mac -> MobileMe -> iCloud

It's not the name that's hindering Apple's online efforts, it's the pricing, features and reliability.

Bingo.

Apple will come to its senses and launch this as a free service. If not in this iteration, perhaps the next. :)

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

SeaFox said:
This instantly made me think of Laputa: Castle in the sky as well as the Laputa in gulliver's travels.
+1

This is great news if it means the end of mobile me. Die Mobile Me - DIE DIE DIE. Anything will be better than the self centered sounding @me.com. I simply will not use the email address in a professional context. Don't mind @Mac.com, and still use it, but @me.com sends the wrong message.
Also, this.

As big a fan of the film, and Miyazaki, as I am, I'm not sure the end of the film would make for a good analogy!! 'Store your data with Apple: watch it crumble into the sea or float off into space!' :)
That's already happening. I got an email from Apple tonight telling this was the last reminder they were going to give me to update my calendar on the MobileMe systems to the new version otherwise I'd lose the ability to sync it and wouldn't be able to view it online, either. Which sounds like they're going to delete it for all intents and purposes. :rolleyes:

I bet the only reason it's required I click something to perform this update is because it entails agreeing to a new EULA with some nefarious new terms or requires I start using the newest version of iCal to sync with the online calendar (which, coincidentally, isn't available for the version of OSX I have, which coincidentally requires me to buy a new Mac to run). :rolleyes:

I'm in the same 'no iCal sync unless new Mac' boat as SeaFox. I can't even upgrade my iPhone or wife's iPod touch without a new computer. I know tech marches
on, but it still sucks. Come on new Mini!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Agreed, .mac had a solid, sensible, identifiable connotation. I wasn't a mac guy at the time, but it whenever I'd see it, conveyed that Apple was providing a decent service package for it's users. "me" just seemed needlessly self-absorbed, and conveys nothing useful. "Castle" sounds like somebody in marketing trying hard to be clever.

I wish they'd simplify, combine & condense all these services, give all their iTunes and new hardware customers an account, and give at least one or two services away free to get people using it in some capacity. ...find my iPhone/iPad, or contact/cal/limited storage push syncing... But just go back to calling the whole package ".mac" again. Clean, short, clear, promotes the brand without being obnoxious.

It'll never be '.mac' again. Apple's ecosystem has changed too much since then, and it's not all about the Mac anymore. But I agree they need a free service which at very least includes syncing between devices, and a small amount of online storage.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
Bingo.

Apple will come to its senses and launch this as a free service. If not in this iteration, perhaps the next. :)

I can see them giving it for free with the purchase of their hardware (like find my iPhone is free with the latest iteration of iOS devices) Apple after all is a hardware company.
Giving something that costs billions in servers and man hours for free to everyone doesn't make much sense to me.

andi242

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
I'm the one who found it. It's the following file:
System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AOSNotification.framework/Resources/English.lprog/Localizable.strings

thanks, it might have been good to point that out in the first place :)

anyone else to confirm?

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AOSNotification.framework/Resources/English.lprog/Localizable.strings

Cool.

How does one basically decode these string files?
These seem to binary although they have readable text. How can we actually read all the content in those binary files?

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Of course it's in his mind, it is his opinion after all.
But there have been countless studies on how people are subconsciously influenced by almost everything they see. That's one of the reasons why marketing departments have work. And then we see different car models with different names for different countries.
And I would say that .me isn't a very good choice. It just doesn't mean squat. Given that they must call it something, better use some word that will send a message or advertise the platform.

Apple doesn't need to create brand awareness through an online service. They have more brand awareness than just about anyone already. What I feel they need to do is add more value to the products we're already purchasing.

Making 'find my iPhone' free was a small step in the right direction. It's not all about promoting these features to new customers. Any smart business person knows that it's cheaper to keep your existing customers happy than to be chasing new ones. Apple should be doing everything they can to create a computing experience that is so good, you just can't bring yourself to walk away from it once you're using it. In the year 2011, that has to include things like easy and reliable syncing of data between devices and convenient online access to some of your data. I just don't know why it's taking Apple so long to realise this.

I'm not dismissing the role of marketing names in guiding perceptions, but what's more important here is the overall value added to existing customers. An inadequate or overpriced service simply can't hide behind a catchy name. On the other hand, Apple could call it something really dull like 'Apple Online Services', and still blow people away with a great experience. I for one couldn't have cared less if Spotlight had been called Search, or Time Machine had been called Backup. They actually remind me a bit of the whole 'Sherlock' nonsense before OS X. I think Apple overestimates the value of these sub-brands for what most consumers likely see as basic services.

As for the suitability of a 'me.com' email address for business, anyone who is serious about business will have their own domain name. I don't think the mere presence of the word 'me' in the MobileMe name reeks 'me generation' ugliness. To me it says something like 'personal online services that I can access from anywhere'. And that is essentially what it should be.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I can see them giving it for free with the purchase of their hardware (like find my iPhone is free with the latest iteration of iOS devices) Apple after all is a hardware company.
Giving something that costs billions in servers and man hours for free to everyone doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree. It should be about adding value to your other Apple purchases. (See my comment above.)

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008

Confirmed:

gcjyQ.png

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
No, but I think the word 'me' does have negative connotations such as narcissism and self centeredness. That is my beef with it. The last word I want someone to associate with my name is 'me'.

I agree. I wish I could have kept hold of my old mac.com address but alas I was getting so much spam and crap I terminated my account and set up a new one. Have my own domain with webmail and mail forwarding so I don't have to use me.com professionally.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
My preview in PathFinder shows the text but is still jumbled up. How did you show the converted binary file there?

I have no idea. That's how it's always been for me. I assume it uses the plist converter from Xcode. What versions are you running? I'm using path finder build 1045, Xcode build 4b33a, and OSX build 11a444d.

Macintosheux

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Lyon, France
thanks, it might have been good to point that out in the first place :)
Well, since I wanted everyone to use my watermarked picture, it was not the best idea. Most people quote their sources, but some don't. As Consomac is still a rather small website, consequences can be huge for us. ;)

Thank you mrblack927 for the confirmation. :)

The software i used for the screenshot is OmniOutliner.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I have no idea. That's how it's always been for me. I assume it uses the plist converter from Xcode. What versions are you running? I'm using path finder build 1045, Xcode build 4b33a, and OSX build 11a444d.

Ah well, I don't have Xcode installed on my macbook. It's installed on my iMac. Maybe that's why it isn't using the strings converter from Xcode.

I'll check it when my iMac comes after repairs.

Somebody must do a grep in PrivateFrameworks or root (/) to find more instances of the same.

Code:
sudo grep -r MobileMe / > ~/grepMobileMeRoot.txt
sudo grep -r Castle / > ~/grepCastleRoot.txt

I have found a lot of instances; may be you can decode them better through this strings converter.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
I thought Apple folks found choice confusing? ;)

No you heard and interpreted wrong. Apple folks love "choice", but what we find confusing is why relatively "normal" people 'choose' the non Apple products they choose?

As an example... Want a digital music player, one buys a Zunes over an iPod... Why? Very confusing... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.