Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Any word on whether there'll be an update for iPhone 3G users? The highest version of iOS they can use currently is 4.2.1, which presumably has the location cache problems too?

Since the 3G is considered end of life, no. I also believe that the 3G doesn't have GPS, just used triangulation solely.

callme

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
I find it hilarious that Steve Jobs claimed Apple was not tracking users, but now all of a sudden we find Location tracking being completely removed from this version of iOS, that is honestly something that annoyes me..

I find it hilarious that you don't understand what is being done here!

seydurin

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Not that I really care about the tracking services...but I wonder if Apple will skip the 3G again with this update...

In case you didn't catch it, 4.2.1 was the last firmware ever for the iPhone 3G. The hardware simply can't handle more features.

I love how Apple is doing nothing out of the ordinary (with the location data collection)...yet they release a fix to "tracking bugs" that they purposefully coded into the OS. What a joke.

FullofWin, room for one more on your side? ;)

GadgetGav

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
I find it hilarious that Steve Jobs claimed Apple was not tracking users, but now all of a sudden we find Location tracking being completely removed from this version of iOS, that is honestly something that annoyes me..

I find it hilarious that people can't grasp which way the data was going in this story. The cached database was an excerpt sent TO your phone FROM Apple so that the phone could calculate it's position faster.

The database at Apple was 'crowd sourced' and you opted in to that when you clicked on 'Accept' in the SLA, but that was a twice-per-day, anonymous, encrypted data packet sent back to HQ.

This update is going to clean the cache (something that could very easily be not done now due to a bug) and not accept this file at all if you have Location Services turned off. I bet it won't take long for the same people who were up in arms about this to start complaining about how this "so-called update makes my phone really slow when using Google Maps" or some other such complaint.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Here Here iOS 5.0.1 leaked ipsw file

Screen Shot 2011-05-02 at 16.06.03.png

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
is there any way we can view our own tracked info. it would be cool to see where i have been.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
<snip>

The database at Apple was 'crowd sourced' and you opted in to that when you clicked on 'Accept' in the SLA, but that was a twice-per-day, anonymous, encrypted data packet sent back to HQ.

</snip>

Not quite. The data collection dialog was separate from the EULA agreement and was a voluntary opt-in. Whether you chose to opt-in or not did not affect how your device operated.

Personally, I opted-in. I have no problem helping Apple to maintain their location database.

southernpaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Now that people know what they're up to, it's "unintentional", and "bugs". :rolleyes:

To you and other conspiracy theorists:

At first I was skeptical at calling it a bug as well. I was convinced by the fact that Apple had nothing to gain by "secretly" slipping it in.

They weren't sending themselves copies of the consolidated.db file-no actual advantage for apple to have extended logs of the location data. And they're not in the business of data mining, so following the money leads to a dead end.

The absolute worst case scenario is that this was a careless oversight. There's simply no evidence or motive for malevolence. Sorry.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
I find it amusing that the G1 can run Android Gingerbread fairly well, but Apple makes it impossible to upgrade the original iPhone to the latest and greatest iOS.

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

How about fixing the tethering bug. Has not worked since last two updates.

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
I find it amusing that the G1 can run Android Gingerbread fairly well, but Apple makes it impossible to upgrade the original iPhone to the latest and greatest iOS.

and, your point is?

"old tech" wanting 2 b supported to include WHAT? you can still phone from the device, yes, my droogie?,

can we start an iphone 7 fund 4 u?

;)

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
I can see how this update will have "battery life improvements" now that the phone is not going to be tracking our movements 24/7 even when all location services are shut off.

I don't. The device will still cache the same exact info. Just now it'll delete legacy info and will be encrypting it. It should get worse battery life.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Google's approach is completely different. When phones running the Google OS detect any wireless network, they beam its MAC, ssid, signal strength and GPS coordinates to Google servers, along with the unique ID of the handset.

You can check if any androids have reported your home network to google by inputting your router's MAC here:

http://samy.pl/androidmap/

Last edited:

airforce1

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
I can see how this update will have "battery life improvements" now that the phone is not going to be tracking our movements 24/7 even when all location services are shut off.

i cant wait to see the IPS of all these apple techs here posting to support their agenda, Congress already is laughing

airforce1

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
Google's approach is completely different. When phones running the Google OS detect any wireless network, they beam its MAC address, signal strength and GPS coordinates to Google servers, along with the unique ID of the handset.

You can check if any androids have reported your home network to google by inputting your router's MAC here:

http://samy.pl/androidmap/

yup

Apple on the other hand decided to go above the law, after all it must feel powerful now that they have starving Chinese sweatshop workers sign suicide agreements after known they will be driven to the point of no return

airforce1

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
- iPod bug fixes

Hopefully fixes the bug when album artwork doesn't show on the lock screen. It's not a critical bug, just kinda annoying.

At least apple admitted for the first time ever that they have a bug, i guess they mean BUG as in eavesdropping!

Last edited by a moderator:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Some facts for the learning challenged.

1. The original DB was set at 2MB. Of ASCII text. As "engineers" you would think Apple would understand and know how "large" that cache is. They claim they didn't realize how much data could be stored in 2MB.

2. This was brought to their attention over a year ago - not a week ago.

3. The file should have always been encrypted.

4. Those getting pissy at people who are calling Apple out on this or are blaming the customer since Apple has it in their EULA that they collect data so it's no big deal should consider that if the switch to turn of Data Roaming FAILED and people were charged up the wazoo - people would be demanding refunds for that data and would demand a fix.

So don't get all pissy for people who just think that the Location Services on/off switch should actually work. Having it NOT work is actually a violation of the EULA so many of the posters here are using as a defense.

I'm glad that the OS is being fixed. I'm glad Apple got caught/are responding to "bugs" that they obviously missed during QA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.