Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 2, 2011, 09:17 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple and Time Inc. Reach Deal to Allow Print Subscribers Free iPad Access

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple and Time Inc. have finally reached a deal to allow subscribers to the print editions of Time's major magazines to access the iPad versions of those magazines free of charge. The deal breaks a months-long impasse that initially focused on paid subscription models but has also included accommodations for print subscribers. The two companies had reached an agreement for People last August, but Time's other titles have remained outside of that agreement until now.
Quote:
Starting Monday, subscribers to Sports Illustrated, Time and Fortune magazines will be able to access the iPad editions via the apps, which will be able to authenticate them as subscribers. Time Inc.'s People magazine already had such an arrangement, but readers of most publications have had to pay separately for the iPad version regardless of their subscriber status.
According to the report, Time and Apple remain in disagreement over plans to offer digital subscriptions to iPad editions. Apple has of course rolled out an in app subscription program in which it collects 30% of all subscription revenue and gives subscribers direct control over whether their information is shared with publishers, and while several newspapers have begun offering content under the program, magazines have been more reluctant to do so.
Quote:
Time Inc. and other major publishers have yet to agree with Apple on terms for selling subscriptions to their iPad editions, the next step beyond making them available to existing print subscribers. Talks are hung up on Apple's resistance to sharing information with publishers about their iPad customers, which publishers say is critical to applying the "TV everywhere" model to magazines.
In the absence of subscription plans, most users are stuck with purchasing single issues of their magazines for the iPad, a much more expensive proposition that has led to weak sales figures for most publications.

Article Link: Apple and Time Inc. Reach Deal to Allow Print Subscribers Free iPad Access
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 09:20 AM   #2
happydude
macrumors 6502a

great. now if i just had an ipad . . . or a subscription to any of those magazines . . .
Old May 2, 2011, 09:24 AM   #3
RollTide1017
macrumors regular

Can I subscribe to Sports Illustrated and then tell them to not send the print version? I don't need both but, if the only way to get a subscription to the iPad version is to subscribe to the print, I may just do that. Whish there was away to tell them not to actually mail the print versions to me because it will be a waste, it will hit the trash can the second I bring it into the house.
RollTide1017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 09:25 AM   #4
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

This is such good news for the furthering of media content on the iPad.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Dreamer2go
macrumors 6502

I wonder if this works with Time Asia (Hong Kong)
coz I am subscribed to that.

I await the next issue about the killing of Bin Laden.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:26 AM   #6
Full of Win
Banned

The fact that needed to be any extensive negotiation speaks volumes. Publishers should be allowed to this, without ANY money-grubbing interference from Apple. This is an issue between the subscriber and the publisher - Apple needs to butt out.
Full of Win is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 09:26 AM   #7
MrMoore
macrumors 6502

Nice that I can get Time on the iPad. It would be nice to then be able to stop the print edition.

I did that with MacWorld. I received the print issue, but was able to transfer it to a Zinio subscription.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:26 AM   #8
ciTiger
macrumors 6502a

If only I had any subscriptions... You can get a lot in the net for free if you know hwere to look...
Check my iPhone and iPad Apps
ciTiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 09:29 AM   #9
dwd3885
macrumors 68000

this is awesome. Have already had this ability on my Xoom for quite some time with Sports Illustrated. Glad Apple caught up.
dwd3885 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 09:32 AM   #10
mram
macrumors newbie

Why want the print anyway?

Why would anyone want to have both the print and digital editions? Buy either the print or the iPad edition.... If you want the iPad edition, but have print already, cancel your print subscription. I don't even have an iPad, never will because of the radiation, but it's not to hard to make choices, now is it?
mram is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 09:48 AM   #11
maxap
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mram View Post
Why would anyone want to have both the print and digital editions? Buy either the print or the iPad edition.... If you want the iPad edition, but have print already, cancel your print subscription. I don't even have an iPad, never will because of the radiation, but it's not to hard to make choices, now is it?
Because of the radiation? Haha, what do you mean?
maxap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 09:49 AM   #12
minimac
macrumors member

The Economist allows this now, is there something different about their setup? I also wish Wired would allow the same thing.
minimac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 09:54 AM   #13
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

I've been wanting this to happen for a while! I liked the idea of reading news like a magazine from an iPad, but I didn't like how the only real offer was The Daily that was exclusively iPad. I didn't see the point. Now, if I had an iPad, I would totally read my Time magazine subscription from my iPad.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:57 AM   #14
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Guess what. None of us are important enough for Apple to track. Why does this stuff get to be such a big media deal?
Old May 2, 2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxap View Post
Because of the radiation? Haha, what do you mean?
Haven't you heard?! All the iPad parts come direct from Japan and are now radioactive!! It will either give you superpowers or implode your brain! I'm not taking any chances!
Old May 2, 2011, 10:09 AM   #16
jjhny
macrumors member

Blech!

Who wants those lame "coloring book" magazines? It's just proof that those sad magazines are doomed.

On the other hand, I do not want to pay (via Apple) to keep the dinosaur media on life support. The faster the media conglomerates die, the better it is for all of us.
jjhny is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 10:53 AM   #17
Popeye206
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full of Win View Post
The fact that needed to be any extensive negotiation speaks volumes. Publishers should be allowed to this, without ANY money-grubbing interference from Apple. This is an issue between the subscriber and the publisher - Apple needs to butt out.
LOL! Obviously we don't know the details of what really went on, and it's obvious that Apple is adjusting to help expand the market.

Just because the rules are being defined in this new digital world, doesn't mean everyone is evil. I'm sure everyone is trying to protect their turf and bottom line... we're getting what the market wants.

But of course, again... if you look at it logically from a business side, your constant Apple bashing doesn't hold up.
Popeye206 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 10:54 AM   #18
Popeye206
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Haven't you heard?! All the iPad parts come direct from Japan and are now radioactive!! It will either give you superpowers or implode your brain! I'm not taking any chances!
But now my iPad 2 doubles as a night light as it glows softly on my nightstand.
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 10:55 AM   #19
Popeye206
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
this is awesome. Have already had this ability on my Xoom for quite some time with Sports Illustrated. Glad Apple caught up.
LOL! What's "quite some time"? A Month? Doubt it.
Popeye206 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 10:57 AM   #20
nujjy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimac View Post
The Economist allows this now, is there something different about their setup? I also wish Wired would allow the same thing.
Exactly what I was thinking.
How is this such a big deal when existing customers of other print publications are able to view the iPad equivalents free of charge?

Another example is of The Times newspaper in the UK.

All this requires is for print subscribers to be issued a username and password, they download the app and then login with their details.
nujjy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 10:59 AM   #21
maconspace
macrumors newbie

No Nursing Home Picture?

You couldn't find an image of nursing home residents reading a print version of Time? Oh that's right, they only watch Fox News on their iPad.
maconspace is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 11:06 AM   #22
Consultant
macrumors G5

I thought the Apple subscription services introduced months ago already allowed existing subscribers to get content for free?

Doesn't seem like Tim "negotiated" anything.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 11:08 AM   #23
Al Coholic
Banned

Stupid-assed publishers. This shouldn't have been an issue to begin with. They just don't get it and insist on being dragged to this new medium kicking and screaming.
Al Coholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 11:14 AM   #24
Singin Hobo
macrumors regular

Let's hope Amazon & Audible get this crap worked out before iOS 5... I don't want to go Android
Singin Hobo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 11:28 AM   #25
rtdunham
macrumors 6502a

shady

to subscribe online ($30/yr) to the print edition you have to agree to automatic renewal "at the low subscription rate then in effect". You can't know in advance what that auto-renewal rate's going to be. And there's no opt-out option. I went to the site intending to subscribe, chose not to. And if you try to contact customer service to ask how to subscribe without the auto-renewal, you can't: customer service inquiry forms require a subscriber ID

I'm an old guy (65) with a print background (newspaper, magazine and book writer, magazine publisher) so sometimes I like the hard product. But I've got considerable digital experience as well (database publishing since the 80s, some e-access to my magazine's info since the 90s) and would probably have done most of my Time reading on my iPad. It's unfortunate Time still doesn't make it easy to dance with them.
rtdunham is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion