Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

171331-lion_delete_evernote.jpg

As noted by Apple iGuide (via TUAW), the latest developer build of Mac OS X Lion seeded last Friday brings a new iOS-like mechanism for deleting applications installed via the Mac App Store.

Invoking the new iOS-like "Launchpad" in Mac OS X Lion for managing applications allows users to click and hold on an icon to bring up the "jiggling" icon mode familiar to iOS users as the mechanism for organizing and deleting applications. Mac OS X Lion now allows users to delete Mac App Store application in the same way as in iOS, by clicking on an "X" button at the top left of the application's icon.
In Lion a user simply needs to invoke the Launchpad, click and hold on the icon of the application they wish to delete, and when the icons begin to wiggle a cross appears on icons of apps installed via the Mac App Store. Clicking this cross brings up the message "Are you sure you want to delete the application...?", and clicking 'Delete' confirms and removes the app.

This only works with applications installed from the Mac App Store, but will be a welcome addition to many, and makes removing applications easier for users familiar with iOS devices.
Those familiar with the Lion developer builds note that it is clear than the feature was coming in earlier releases, but is finally functional in the latest build.

Apple has of course stressed the "Back to the Mac" nature of Mac OS X Lion, bringing a number of the user interface aspects of iOS to the Mac OS X platform, offering a more consistent experience with the goal of making it easier for users to move between platforms and making Mac OS X more intuitive.

Article Link: Mac OS X Lion to Bring iOS-Like Uninstall Process for Mac App Store Apps

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I'm afraid this might be confusing for some users - Launch Pad and iOS like behavior for MAS applications and 'old' way of doing things for none MAS applications ... doesn't sound very consistent - I hope they clean that inconsistency up for the final version.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
TO ALL FANBOYS:

This is better than what we have now.
Life goes on. Live moves forward. Apple is a forward-thinking company.

Deal with it!

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
Whatever happened to Command-Delete?

....this is starting to look like Aero in Windows Vista.

See any similarities?

How-to-remove-the-confirmation-prompt-to-delete-any-file-in-Windows-7-2.png

171331-lion_delete_evernote.jpg

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm afraid this might be confusing for some users - Launch Pad and iOS like behavior for MAS applications and 'old' way of doing things for none MAS applications ... doesn't sound very consistent - I hope they clean that inconsistency up for the final version.

Perhaps, though I suspect for some people, the MAS will be the only way they interact with apps on the Mac.

arn

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
They could have simplified the whole process in the following way:

• Hover the mouse pointer over an app in launchpad.
  • Right click -> contextual menu OR popup with get info and delete options.
OR
  • Hover the mouse pointer over an app in launchpad.
  • Delete and info buttons appear below the app. Click to apply.
Both sound more logical and intuitive than this.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Perhaps, though I suspect for some people, the MAS will be the only way they interact with apps on the Mac.

arn

True, but I still would wish for a consistent look and feel (and not the need to remember if I installed through MAS or download to know where to find apps or how to uninstall)

but I'm afraid that Apple is lately no longer on board with consistent behavior and look&feel (just look at the buttons on iTunes, MAS and other apps - no consistency anymore - or is it just public beta testing to get feedback what people like?)

I always enjoyed that things are more consistent on MacOS than under Windows (especially across apps [with exceptions]) - but if even Apple doesn't do that anymore ....

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Hmm..that'll feel odd...

Hold down for 2(ish) seconds
click 'X'
click 'ok'.

OR

Drag to trash...

Seems like change for the sake of change. Hardly a groundbreaking new feature.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Hmm..that'll feel odd...

Hold down for 2(ish) seconds
click 'X'
click 'ok'.

OR

Drag to trash...

Seems like change for the sake of change. Hardly a groundbreaking new feature.

It's not about being groundbreaking perse. It's about making the look & feel of the UI similar to iOS devices so that those who use are using iOS devices but switching to the Mac don't have a steep learning curve.

Makes sense to me.

Robot-Rock

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
Have Microsoft got this one right?

This concept might seem alien to a lot of MacRumours users, but being a 'switcher', the method of deleting any app on OS X currently seems very ad hoc. I've been a mac user now for about 4 years and yet the idea of having to delete an app by dragging it to the trash seems very... strange. You never know if you've deleted ALL of that program.

Microsoft have managed to get one thing right in Windows. A specific tool (Add/Remove Programs) to delete a program. That's something that I genuinely feel is lacking in OS X and this idea of clicking and holding in LaunchPad makes sense. It's imple enough: most users who own an iPhone will have no trouble in adopting this method. And what's more, it makes it instantly accessible to anyone who uses a mac. In addition, it goes a step further than Microsoft. It avoids making more novice users from having to delve in to a complex window of settings. A step in the right direction? I think so!

So personally, I think this is a very simple yet very effective change to make to OS X and should be a welcome sign of the things to come in Lion!

joshellis625

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2008
Georgia
I think this is pretty awesome. I know that currently all you have to do is drag the app to the trash but it always bothers me that it could leave leftover files in Library, etc., which is why I use AppCleaner. I think having this more streamlined and comprehensive way of removing apps would be a lot better.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I'm just wondering if this is a more thorough way of deleting the app. Like, taking out app support and preferences unlike when you just drag the app into the trash. Does this simply move it to the trash or does it take care of everything in the background?

I think it is basically making 2 ways to delete an app, which I suppose will be more "user friendly" for people coming to Mac from the iDevices halo. But again, wondering if this actually cleans the apps crap up.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I like it, but right now there's 3 ways to install apps: App Store, download from internet and drag to applications folder, installer wizard (like MS Office). Also, the difference between the applications folder and LaunchPad will be confusing for most users. This whole thing needs to be unified. Either get rid of the Applications folder or get rid of LaunchPad.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I'm just wondering if this is a more thorough way of deleting the app. Like, taking out app support and preferences unlike when you just drag the app into the trash. Does this simply move it to the trash or does it take care of everything in the background?

I think it is basically making 2 ways to delete an app, which I suppose will be more "user friendly" for people coming to Mac from the iDevices halo. But again, wondering if this actually cleans the apps crap up.

You'd probably appreciate this app: http://onnati.net/apptrap/

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
The bigger question is, should Apple dumb OS X Lion down to allow the iOS people to have an easier transition, just seems like it undermines the quality of the product especially for the people who already know and like OS X SL the way it is.

Perhaps when you first start up the computer they can have a "Do you want iOS mode or Fanboy mode?"

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Not a huge fan of this in iOS Simulator when developing, all that said though - increased consistency across the platforms can only be a good thing IMO.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
It's not about being groundbreaking perse. It's about making the look & feel of the UI similar to iOS devices so that those who use are using iOS devices but switching to the Mac don't have a steep learning curve.

Makes sense to me.

But they could have made it much better, intuitive and easy. It doesn't mean that going from iOS to MacOSX, you are going to deal with the computers, the same old way.

People are not pointing with fingers and now they have an extra real estate. A mouse has both right click and left click which in my opinion, every computer user knows about.

For a second, forget that you have never seen iOS, but you want to delete the app from launchpad, the only way that comes to your mind is either:

holding the app and dropping into trash OR
right click -> delete

It doesn't have to be the same, seriously.

Last edited:

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
This concept might seem alien to a lot of MacRumours users, but being a 'switcher', the method of deleting any app on OS X currently seems very ad hoc. I've been a mac user now for about 4 years and yet the idea of having to delete an app by dragging it to the trash seems very... strange. You never know if you've deleted ALL of that program.

Microsoft have managed to get one thing right in Windows. A specific tool (Add/Remove Programs) to delete a program. That's something that I genuinely feel is lacking in OS X and this idea of clicking and holding in LaunchPad makes sense. It's imple enough: most users who own an iPhone will have no trouble in adopting this method. And what's more, it makes it instantly accessible to anyone who uses a mac. In addition, it goes a step further than Microsoft. It avoids making more novice users from having to delve in to a complex window of settings. A step in the right direction? I think so!

So personally, I think this is a very simple yet very effective change to make to OS X and should be a welcome sign of the things to come in Lion!

No, Microsoft have not got it right. There should be no need for a specific tool to uninstall applications. applications should be self-contained and be deletable with the press of a button…

Many applications work this way on Mac, some developers still put related files into various other locations though unfortunately...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.