Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
You really don't want a small SSD for boot.

To work well it needs to contain all your apps and system files. For most people this means at least 100GB these days. Shockingly when I got my MBP in 2008 I thought a 200 GB drive would do it all for me. That really didn't last long at all.

Nice update, but I'll still focus on what is most disappointing to me:

- No Matte Option
- Still no wireless keyboard with numeric keypad!
- Lack of SSD options (was really hoping the rumor of a couple of months ago of a small SSD drive for boot).

budafied

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2008
I hope I'm not the only one disappointed that you see an i7 in 3 out of the 4 MBPs, but i7 is only available for an extra $180 in the iMac.

The i5 2400 costs $150 @ MicroCenter, and that's the processor they use in the $2000 iMac!!! This is why people say Macs are overpriced (and they most certainly are). That having been said, I'll be buying an MBA or MBP 13 soon enough.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
They're still using this piece of marketing on the iMac page:

The iMac display looks great from any seat in the house, thanks to a premium display technology called in-plane switching (IPS). IPS gives you a bright picture with excellent color — even if you’re viewing the display from the side.

EDIT: Lots of people beat me; irrelevant post.

smugDrew

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
in a dwelling
Made a stupid mistake, getting caught up in the moment, confused TN and TFT. Sorry folks, obviously I suffered a brain fart.

Last edited:

Kurgan

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
To bad there was no mini. I have been warming up my shop finger all morning...

PR.

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
It was possible to use the previous 27" as an external display for a MacBook. Can't see any mention of that after a brief scan, and it's a deal-breaker for me. Anyone spot such a feature?

James

I spotted that (or not) to, mostly as it's the most important feature in my iMac as I have it hooked up to my PC

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Apple continues their model to suck most money out of their customers.

Example:

-Can't buy base 21.5'' with 6770M or 6970M.
-Can't buy base 27'' with 6970M.

Why does it always have to be that if you want a good graphics card, you must go for the top model, and thereby paying so much more than if you could just customize the base model with it?

Already know the answer, but let your defending excuses come.

everydave

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Can it still be used as an external display?

I've not seen any word on if one could use the new iMacs as an external display like you could previously. A 27" display with a "built in" quad core media server for the price of a core 2 duo mini is sounding really good right now!

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Order placed. Upgrading from 24" 2.93 GHz Core 2.

Configuration:
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

Hopefully should last me a few years like the old one. 6 weeks to wait though. :(

kevin2223

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
27" can power two additional displays:

"You can daisy-chain as many as six devices plus a display. The 27-inch iMac includes a second Thunderbolt port for even more expansion possibilities. Connect up to six more devices or a display or two."

Found under Thunderbolt portion of the Performance page.

Specs page says "Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display. Support for extended desktop and video mirroring modes," although that is combined on the page for both sizes.

Mobius 1

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2011
USEA
is the GPU good for gaming like Ported BO, Portal and intel cider SWBF?

and MINECRAFT. is it good?

going 2 get a new mac

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I hope I'm not the only one disappointed that you see an i7 in 3 out of the 4 MBPs, but i7 is only available for an extra $180 in the iMac.

The i5 2400 costs $150 @ MicroCenter, and that's the processor they use in the $2000 iMac!!! This is why people say Macs are overpriced (and they most certainly are). That having been said, I'll be buying an MBA or MBP 13 soon enough.

i7 in MBP is not equal to an i7 in an iMac

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
It's great that Apple seems to be taking GPUs more seriously in this refresh. The base iMac has the HD6750M which is the high-end GPU option for the MacBook Pro and a solid mid-range GPU rather than being stuck with integrated or low-end discrete GPUs. An the HD6970M is the top-end mobile GPU, rather than the second-to top that Apple usually uses. It's also nice that Apple actually admits they are using mobile GPUs now to avoid confusion.

It's too bad that Apple skimped on the RAM in the mid-range models which should have 1GB. The 2GB HD6970M option is nice though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.