Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Hey everyone. just wondering if anyone has experienced their iphone 4 getting sluggish.
mine has been really laggy when i type in safari or text messages (i can write a complete sentence before it begins to display it or indicate i have hit the letter) and when loading webpages it seems to take forever.
i have yet to try reloading ios on it but it is possible that a app can be slowing it down even though i have everything closed? (multitask shows no open apps)

let me know if there is anything else i can try before wiping it and restoring it.

Thanks.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
thanks. haven't thought of that one. :facepalm: let me now list all the simple things i have done.

turn off then on.
reset settings in the general setting.
bluetooth off.
personal hotspot off.
erased all text msgs and messaging app messages.
spotlight search options have been minimized to just a few search locations.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Try a hard reboot. - Holding both the power/sleep button and home button until you see the Apple logo appear.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
off then on, reboot. basically the same thing. tried it. i've tried the simple things that take only a couple minutes to do.

it's saying that i'm on version 4.3. but i'm pretty sure i'm on the latest version. 4.3.1. i think.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
While I've not experienced all of the things you have, iOS4.3 is a piece of ****.

When I restore my iPhone 4 it's superb, silky smooth. Put some third party apps on there, and something happens to it. Judders and stutters in the animations from time to time, third party apps not displaying their launch animation on first boot, and general sluggishness now and then.

I've restored with/without backup, DFU restored, and even had the phone exchanged after I reported the problem to Applecare and they suggested a new unit. No change.

If there had been some super, amazing new feature that's making the phone work harder running the OS, then fair enough. But home sharing isn't enough to make the phone feel sluggish and have stuttering animations every now and then.

iOS 4.0 to even 4.2 were fine, but after going to 4.3 I began noticing a decline in performance.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
is 4.3 (as reported on the iphone about section) the latest? or if i have 4.3.1, would it still say 4.3 or 4.3.1?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
is 4.3 (as reported on the iphone about section) the latest? or if i have 4.3.1, would it still say 4.3 or 4.3.1?

4.3.2 is the latest, and it does help with the random sluggishness, but the launch animations on third party apps and occasional stuttering of other animations still persist, although not to the level they did on 4.3.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I've found from all my readings that those that have experienced high battery usage and slower/sluggish usage are having really good results from doing a complete restore *as new* and then syncing their playlists and apps after that.

I just updated my wife's phone from 4.2.1 and she said it was acting weird. I didn't go into details with her as I know how she'd explain it. So I just did a restore as new, resync'd her playlists. Now she said its back to being correct.

Another thing about sluggish is you could close out all the apps in the switcher list. Then restart the phone and see how that works.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
off then on, reboot. basically the same thing. tried it. i've tried the simple things that take only a couple minutes to do.

it's saying that i'm on version 4.3. but i'm pretty sure i'm on the latest version. 4.3.1. i think.

Did you try what I said? It's not just a normal reboot. It closes everything running and frees up memory.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've found from all my readings that those that have experienced high battery usage and slower/sluggish usage are having really good results from doing a complete restore *as new* and then syncing their playlists and apps after that.

I just updated my wife's phone from 4.2.1 and she said it was acting weird. I didn't go into details with her as I know how she'd explain it. So I just did a restore as new, resync'd her playlists. Now she said its back to being correct.

Another thing about sluggish is you could close out all the apps in the switcher list. Then restart the phone and see how that works.

Restored to back up.

Restored and set up as new phone.

Restored via DFU mode.

Exchanged phone per Applecare recommendation.

Reboot phone, which I never had to do on 4.0 to 4.2.1.

Close apps which aren't being used, but that shouldn't make too much difference as they're not "running" only in a frozen state to be resumed. However, do it anyway.

It's the software, it's woeful and nowhere near as optimised as the previous versions of iOS4. When you restore as new, initially it's superb, but once you put even a few hundred MB of third party apps on the phone, it begins to show what I mentioned above.

It's not unusable, it's just annoying given how well I know the iPhone 4 could, and did, run previously.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Did you try what I said? It's not just a normal reboot. It closes everything running and frees up memory.

yes, i've done this plenty of times.

i'll try a restore to base build and then sync all my stuff tonight and post if it's better.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
yes, i've done this plenty of times.

i'll try a restore to base build and then sync all my stuff tonight and post if it's better.

Yeah that's pretty much your only option if all the other suggestions are not working.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
Restored to back up.

Restored and set up as new phone.

Restored via DFU mode.

Exchanged phone per Applecare recommendation.

Reboot phone, which I never had to do on 4.0 to 4.2.1.

Close apps which aren't being used, but that shouldn't make too much difference as they're not "running" only in a frozen state to be resumed. However, do it anyway.

It's the software, it's woeful and nowhere near as optimised as the previous versions of iOS4. When you restore as new, initially it's superb, but once you put even a few hundred MB of third party apps on the phone, it begins to show what I mentioned above.

It's not unusable, it's just annoying given how well I know the iPhone 4 could, and did, run previously.

+10000000000
I really hate my iphone 4 after upgrading to 4.3.2. Too much lag and stutter without reason. FFS my wife's 3GS is smoother running 4.2.1

Dashing1023

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
My 2 cents, for what it's worth, basically self-therapy

My iPhone 4 is sluggish, lags all the time. I am not happy about it, but I live with it.

I relate it to a new computer, it's fast as all get-out when it's new. As we load stuff on it and over time, it's just never the same.

I've gone through all the steps, restores, rebuilds, best practices and what not, bottom line, I have over 400 apps on my phone, it will NEVER perform like it did when it was NEW. I deal with it.

It did seem to really get bad after an update last Fall..., was it with 4.2? I don't know, don't care, could be coincidence, nevertheless, it went from seemlessly smooth, to lag and drag on simple tasks.

Here's the thing, when I am in a game or app, it works pretty good. I can play graphic intensive games pretty well and do everything I need to do once in an app. What really bothers me is the simple things that lag. Home screen, double-click search, scrolling, moving icons or creating folders. It's the simple tasks that seem to freeze/lag and just perform poorly.

The way I see it now is that it will once again be smoooth as silk when the next gen iPhone is released and I will buy it. I have too much invested in this to bail on it and I am generally happy with it even though the lag is frustrating at times.

I'm sure the next gen iPhone will scream for awhile but fully expect after I max it out, it too will begin to lag and get sluggish. I have nothing but apps on my 30gb with little free space, music and videos can be streamed, why take up the space is the way I see it.

If I had to bet, I'd say if I deleted half my apps or more, I would see a noticeable improvement, but I love having them on hand anyway, so I deal with it.

It's a cat and mouse game.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
well i updated to 4.3.3 and it seems to be better. sometimes it seems that there is a hickup or stutter. but it's much better. i was on 4.3 before and made the update.

thanks guys.

cowboy0831

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
I was experiencing the same problems and then I realized that my phone became sluggish after I made a bunch of folders for my apps. I had accidently put one of my created folders within another created folder and when I got rid of the folders and just kept all my app icons, my phone went back to working normally.

I would recommend getting rid of the folders and just keeping the icons. It worked for me.

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.