Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphadog111

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I recently got some pictures from one of my friends who ordered a case that looks EXACTLY! like the Original Apple iPad version of the case that Apple Made and was curious to know what you guys think... Would you guys buy this case?

The cases that I have seen has a lot of corners that are cut out and dont have a fitted look to it... This case at least when I saw it really shocked me as I have not see one like it...please send me a link if you guys found one as well...

I tested the case and it has the same smart cover technology as well and opens and closes the ipad when you flip the case cover... I attached some pics to see what you guys think..( this is the best pictures I can get ) Thanks.

Attachments

• P1090567.JPG
    P1090567.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 469
  • P1090571.JPG
    P1090571.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 378
  • P1090856.JPG
    P1090856.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 384
  • P1090855.JPG
    P1090855.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 388
  • P1090857.JPG
    P1090857.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 359

scwatkins77

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Would you guys buy this case?

not for me, personally. I didn't like the iPad 1 Apple case. It was kind of flimsy and had sharp edges and was ugly and detracted from the iPad's looks - in my opinion. Some people liked it, I didn't like it for myself. So, if you like that case style, then this looks good for you.

For me, I like the SmartCover for it's minimalism and functionality. To protect the back, I also wanted something minimalistic - and ended up with a DODOcase BOOKback. It's a piece of Moroccan book-binding cloth that simply attaches adhesively to the back of the iPad2 like a sticker. It's easy to remove and reapply. It wont protect against falls, but does great preventing scratches. And it doesn't add any thickness to the iPad.

Just my personal preference!

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I like this design. I think I found the same one as case2case but for $22 on eBay. Thinking about buying it what do you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-LEATHER-S...Accessories&hash=item4158f919d6#ht_2856wt_922

As I said earlier I believe this is similar to the case currently sold on Amazon, and one I did not like, but others seem to be very happy with. The reason I did not like it was the cut outs were all wrong, especially the home button was partially covered over. A true sign of a rush job and low quality, and that was on amazon. People seemed to be willing tom live with these defects for the price, but I have standards and this case was well below what I would tolerate, so I returned it. No biggie, I've tried a lot of cases now and will eventually find one I can live with till the next iPad comes out! I do like what I'm seeing in the case2case pictures posted, and wait eagerly to hear some feed back.

I will post pictures of theEbay case I took a chance on, no doubt a flop, you have to take chances it's all about what worms for you!

I think it is a vast generalization to state that all EBay cases are bad. It is after all a consortium of sellers not a them! One has to pick and choose your sellers, and if something looks to good to be true and it's from Hong Kong, well, lets just say it's probably not going to be a satisfactory experience in the end, especially of your trying to get a refund from some small seller on Lantau Island!

Vulcan4770

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

That case doesnt even have a cutout for the smart cover, it's not compatible.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Faux Apple First Generation Ebay Case! GREAT!

Got the Ebay Apple Logo case mentioned in an earlier post. Really very surprised on how much it looks and feels like the original.

See pictures attached. The only complaint and its minor is it will need a bit of stretching at the top to align completely with headphone jack, which I can already see it has started to do.

Highly Recommend!
IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0237.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

ccb0x45

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Don't buy this case

The first case in the thread is the same case as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-EZ-Carr...H29K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305008609&sr=8-1

I was hoping it was the perfect solution and bought it, but its a really ****** case. The cutouts don't line up well at all, so you are always shifting it around, it covers the home button and the light sensor, the light sensor is a pain in the ass when its covered. The smart cover works good. But really the killer for this case is that they used glue around the edges instead of threading it. I used this case outside in the sun(was around 88 here in cali last week), 2 days after I bought it and all the glue fell apart from the heat, so the case completely fell apart. My girlfriend repaired it with fabric glue, but that eventually came off again as well. It was all in all a ****** case(luckily I got it off dealnews for only 20 bucks). I really wanted a light and thin case, but I finally just gave in and bought a maroo even though it isnt as thin, and got it today and I love it. Not saying you should buy the maroo as it might not be for you, however that Acase that is rebranded is a piece of junk, don't waste your money like I did.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
Does this case have any protective materials that would prevent the iPad from breaking in the event it was dropped?

I just got the Cyber Acoustics case yesterday to prevent my wife or kid from breaking it...again

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
The first case in the thread is the same case as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-EZ-Carr...H29K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305008609&sr=8-1

I was hoping it was the perfect solution and bought it, but its a really ****** case. The cutouts don't line up well at all, so you are always shifting it around, it covers the home button and the light sensor, the light sensor is a pain in the ass when its covered. The smart cover works good. But really the killer for this case is that they used glue around the edges instead of threading it. I used this case outside in the sun(was around 88 here in cali last week), 2 days after I bought it and all the glue fell apart from the heat, so the case completely fell apart. My girlfriend repaired it with fabric glue, but that eventually came off again as well. It was all in all a ****** case(luckily I got it off dealnews for only 20 bucks). I really wanted a light and thin case, but I finally just gave in and bought a maroo even though it isnt as thin, and got it today and I love it. Not saying you should buy the maroo as it might not be for you, however that Acase that is rebranded is a piece of junk, don't waste your money like I did.

Your right the case totally sucks and you should leave a one star for this in Amazon like I did. I don't understand how it cold have received so many favorable ratings when it is so badly constructed.

Acase is just not a great case maker!

I bought the one from a Dealnews link below. I've been looking for a style with the smart cover elements so i bought this one. Hopefully its like the ones that were reviewed good. :)

Be sure to click the next link so you can see more pics of it, its not just a top cover it covers back also.
http://dealnews.com/Four-Folded-Sma...-iPad-2-for-21-free-shipping-more/460649.html

I'm afraid your going to be disappointed with this, its totally the same case as the one sold on Amazon.

Cancel your order and get on from someplace else. they do not have a very good rep anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:

ccb0x45

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Yea I really wanted to like it. To be honest I could deal with the cutouts being bad, but the glue construction just makes it junk, the entire case literally falls apart at the edges so it wont even hold the ipad, and I am guessing all these clones on the other sites that look different(with like the apple logo) are the same glue construction because I can tell by looking at the edges around the ipad. Save some money.

You are right I should leave a one star rating. I really like my maroo case, I think it is the closest to perfect you can get right now for a case for a decent price. I wrote a review of it in the maroo thread.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Got the Ebay Apple Logo case mentioned in an earlier post. Really very surprised on how much it looks and feels like the original.

See pictures attached. The only complaint and its minor is it will need a bit of stretching at the top to align completely with headphone jack, which I can already see it has started to do.

Highly Recommend!
View attachment 284728
View attachment 284729
View attachment 284730

View attachment 284732

View attachment 284731

Add one more negative. When you flip the over to lay flat to the back, you iPad goes to sleep.

I really wanted to like this case since I so loved the original iPad 1 case. But the Fit & Finish is just sub par.

Last edited:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
There is a simple fix for Magnet problem!

Add one more negative. When you flip the over to lay flat to the back, you iPad goes to sleep.

I really wanted to like this case since I so loved the original iPad 1 case. But the Fit & Finish is just sub par.

Agreed on the back, as I said in another forum I did not realize that was happening....

However, there is a fix for this if you want to go to the trouble.

Get a small piece of metal less than an inch, pretty thin, make sure it is conductive to the magnet in the front cover.

I used a razor blade from a box cutter, ground down sharp points and rounded everything off and if you don't have a skin in your unit, for testing wrap the blade in some paper towel or whatever so you don't scratch the back.

When you put the ipad in the case slip this piece into the back section right under the volume buttons, and then push the ipad the rest of the way into the case, so its got everything lined up properly.

Try it now. BINGO-The metal in the case is counteracting the aluminum ipad skin, or something....

You may have to position it a few times to get it right, it works like a charm for me. A little double sided tape once you have it positioned and you should be good to go.

If you don't want to go to the trouble its understandable, but I did think this case was more like the original than anything I have seen thus far. I disagree about the quality, mine shows no sign of falling apart or anything and seems rather sturdy. It is what it is. Will it last as long as my first generation Apple case that is still going strong, only time will tell!

It is what it is, a cheap chinese quickie knock off! Like all the others we have been discussing, I just happen to like this one best so far. WOuld not give it 5 because of the magnet problem, but again that's easily fixable and now Im pleased to use it and am doing so.

I did order one of the ones at that deals800, two fold case in black place for 18 bucks after they assured me it did not have this problem.

We will see and I will report back.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
You can also use some thick RF shielding tape. It is rather expensive though. If you get it in the right place it works well on other cases that I was evaluating.

Let us know how the deal800 case goes. Can you post the exact link for the one you ordered?

It looks like the case with the apple logo on it are all gone. The ebay seller doesn't show it available anymore. I was thinking about ordering one too.

Last edited:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Link for Apple Replica case from Deal800...

You can also use some thick RF shielding tape. It is rather expensive though. If you get it in the right place it works well on other cases that I was evaluating.

Let us know how the deal800 case goes. Can you post the exact link for the one you ordered?

It looks like the case with the apple logo on it are all gone. The ebay seller doesn't show it available anymore. I was thinking about ordering one too.

I'm sending mine back to him for a refund, if you want it you can have it for what I paid for it. Im hoping the deals800 one works out will keep you posted.

Here is the link though I forgot before:

http://www.deal800.com/Two-Folded-Smart-Slim-Case-Cover-for-Apple-IPAD-2-Newest-Model-Black_p_3447.html

Last edited:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Do not buy cases from deal800

I'm sending mine back to him for a refund, if you want it you can have it for what I paid for it. Im hoping the deals800 one works out will keep you posted.

Here is the link though I forgot before:

http://www.deal800.com/Two-Folded-Smart-Slim-Case-Cover-for-Apple-IPAD-2-Newest-Model-Black_p_3447.html

Its got the very same problem of the front cover activating the sleep/wake function.

I had emailed them with and called them with these specific questions and was assured it did not have this issue. They lied.

They also do not mention the case has the same Apple logo on it I posted earlier about, purchased on Ebay, found to have the problem and subsequently returned..Another duplicitous act on there part!

My email to them:

You either did not test this or completely lied about this product.

It does exactly what I asked about and was assured it would not, which was turn the device off when the front cover is folded over to the back. It also has a fake apple logo on the cover which is obviously not in the photographs.

I will expect a full refund including the shipping cost, both ways, You wasted both of our time on your faulty product which was described to me as working and is clearly defective.

By simply performing a test, or stating we don't know would have been better than just lying.

I am contacting Paypal as well to initiate a complaint for a full refund

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Well after a few emails, and reminding them they were selling branded merchandise illegally, they refunded my money.

their email:

I apologize. I've discussed this case with my manager and he agreed to issue you a full refund on this order.

We got these as close out from a closeout center in Riverside, we will check our remain inventory and will report to Apple of that vendor
Again, we apologize for the inconvenience this may have cost you.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
This ebay seller is not longer offering this case. Anyone know where else I can get one of these?

think the case2case.net ones are like the ones on Amazon that Acases sells, and I did not like.

I'm going to take a chance on this one. I know its a knock off, but he has a refund policy and hey what the hell right?

He sent me some photos, which I will post with link to his ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290561101307&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1156

View attachment 284469
View attachment 284471
View attachment 284470

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Why would you want one, it does not work!

A few cases were discussed in this thread. I'm no longer sure which one works and which doesn't. I want the one in photos shown on post #7 and #13. Any one know of where to get one, if it works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.