Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091729-ipad_2_hand.jpg

RCR Wireless claims to have multiple sources telling it that Apple is planning on incorporating 3D technology into the next-generation iPad. The fact that the iPad 3 is 3D is a dead cert, one Hollywood insider close to the big movie studios told RCR, adding that the screen would be the real magic. She went on to say that the big film studios were currently running around like blue arsed flies trying to gear up to release plenty of 3D content in time for Apples next launch.Besides this "Hollywood insider", they also cite sources from iPad manufacturer Foxconn about the 3D plans.

We're not sure about the reliability of these sources, but Apple has clearly been exploring 3D technology over the years as evidenced by numerous patent applications. Not all of this research has been in the typical 3D technology found in recent movies and television sets. Some of the research has been in pseudo-3D technologies that involve head tracking that was effectively demoed in a recent iPad app. 3D, of course, has also been a big recent trend with the release of many 3D TVs, 3D movies, and Nintendo's 3DS handheld gaming console.

Also interesting is that this isn't the first time this has been suggested. Earlier this year, Japanese blog Mac Otakara cited their own sources who said that Apple's LCD supplier was beginning to manufacture small glasses-free 3D LCD panels for the iPod touch, though they suggested it might involve user head-tracking to accomplish the effect.

Article Link: Next iPad to Offer 3D Display?

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Oh my, the kiddies will squeal with delight. Mommies will be frequenting Apple stores like never before. Every big box store will offer them. It will be SRO at Wally World.

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
iPad 3 - iPad 3D

I could really see that, with the iPhone 3G (it was actually the 3rd phone) and had 3G.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Worst rumor ever. Sure let's view web pages in 3D (hint: ads will be jumping around).

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Why are you guys all against 3D? I think its great, BUT I think its a given that you will be able to turn off the 3D.. And if that is the case then there is no problem really :p

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
How much power would it take to do 3D with a 9.7 inch screen? Doesn't it need to be rendered twice?

Also, Nintendo said that touch screens mess with the 3D because of fingerprints and oil, so did they lie or did Apple figure out a way?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I don't get the "3D" screen thing???? My regular 1080p TV can play a 3d Movie just fine. The 3D software shared here on MacRumors didn't have any special screen... what the heck would Apple do to make it a 3D screen?

I say "false".

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
It will happen eventually but in the iPad3 already?
Besides Apple usually pimps up the iPhone before the iPad and the next iPhone won't have 3D...

Unless they abdicate on the retina display on the iPad and go 3D instead...

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
3D doesn't give me headaches but I'm sure if apple included it in the products, the 3d wouldn't give u headaches, or just simply u can turn it off. I don't think it would be that infused into the the iPad, think about it everything about the UI would have to change u can't make everything 3D it wouldent be that great. So I think if apple were to include it only cretin aspects of the IOS would be 3D. Also i don't think they would include a 3D screen without having the 3D cameras, for photos, videos and maby even (if possible) 3D FaceTime. Apple knows what it's doing, if they include it and u don't like it u don't buy it or just turn the 3D off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.