Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I've read tons of people disliking it... but barely see anyone actually liking it.

Does anyone actually like their 6th gen Nano?

Last edited:

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
anyone who doesn't like it needs to rethink what they want.

An Ipod nano is music, pure and simple. If they want all the other bits, get a touch. If you just want music, tell me what exactly there isn't to like?

People will always find something to complain about, even if a device is perfect for its purpose. Its human nature.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I personally don't think that it's a bad product at all. I just think that it's ridiculous that it is supposed to be the successor to the 5th gen model and it launched at the same price even though it is undeniably a step back in functionality. I understand that what it loses in function it gains in portability, and many people like that, but I figure that if it does less it should cost less. The 6th gen should fall between the previous nano and the shuffle in terms of price, as it does in function. I would also like to see the next generation actually build on the 5th gen, but I think that Apple ha decided to permanently cripple the nano to encourage people to invest in a touch.

ID_Field_Blank

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
London, UK
I don't particularly like it and have found it hard to use in the store when i"ve tested it, mainly because I have big fingers.

I think its just a little too small. Functions perfectly for music, but its not big enough/easy enough to use for me. I really liked the previous (5th) gen one and was hoping that the 6th Gen one would build on that again

I have a 2nd gen one that needs replacing - and I really wanted to get a new one in september but the design did nothing for me. I guess i'll have to get a new battery and hope i can fit it to my satisfcation - there's glue involved and that puts me off.

Also i don't like the idea of clipping something that expensive to the outside of my clothes/bag etc as its intended. yes i could put it in my pocket, but then why have a clip?

I for one am in the anti-6th-gen-nano camp.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
anyone who doesn't like it needs to rethink what they want.

An Ipod nano is music, pure and simple. If they want all the other bits, get a touch. If you just want music, tell me what exactly there isn't to like?

People will always find something to complain about, even if a device is perfect for its purpose. Its human nature.

+1 I love my 6th gen. Its my favorite out of all the nanos.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
If you just want music, tell me what exactly there isn't to like?

The touchscreen.

I understand that what it loses in function it gains in portability

It's no portable than the fantastic 5th gen nano.

The 5th gen nano was awesome (I have 3 of them, all 16 gigs, red/green/orange), as is the Classic. I had an iPod touch when they first came out, before they were so old hat like they are now in their fourth year much the same as they were in 2007, and back then it was really cool...until the novelty wore off and I got tired of taking it out of my pocket all the time to use it.

I sold it long ago thankfully, and now won't touch any iPod without a click wheel--I have a feeling I won't be buying any iPods anytime soon though.

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
My iPod owning days died in 2007 with the introduction of the iPhone. Previously used a 3rd gen nano and 4th gen iPod. Call me crazy but I have no need for 50 devices when they all do the same thing.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I'd love to get my mitts on a nano 6th gen, i'd watch it up! :D

If the OP doesn't want theirs, PM me an offer and i'll consider it :p

brholton

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I love mine. I do a bunch of running for exercise, 5k's, and a half marathon coming up this summer and it is great to clip to your shorts and not worry about it. I have my Nike + attached to it and still can't tell it is clipped to my shorts. Got rid of my 5th Gen for this one.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I love mine. I do a bunch of running for exercise, 5k's, and a half marathon coming up this summer and it is great to clip to your shorts and not worry about it. I have my Nike + attached to it and still can't tell it is clipped to my shorts. Got rid of my 5th Gen for this one.

Same here. I run 3-4 times per week and it's great with or without the Nike +. It fits anywhere and you never know it's there.

cankid96

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Same here. I run 3-4 times per week and it's great with or without the Nike +. It fits anywhere and you never know it's there.

Just curious, where do u clip it? Or do you keep it in your pocket?

I'm asking because whenever I run with it, I usually clip it to the end of my shirt or the flap of my pocket, and eventually it falls off.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008

I'm asking because whenever I run with it, I usually clip it to the end of my shirt or the flap of my pocket, and eventually it falls off.

for short runs, i clip it on my pocket, never fallen off. for longer runs i clip it on my belt that i use to hold Gu

brholton

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010

I clip it to my waistband of my shorts. I've been on 10 mile runs and it's never fallen off.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I am really liking my Nano right now. I picked up a 32gb Touch and an 8gb Nano and have been playing with both. I have an iPad and I really feel like having an iPod Touch is really kind of pointless besides that it has 32gb (my iPad is 16gb)

The Nano does a few thing that the Touch doesn't do. Like double click power button for Next Track or Play/Pause and a cool FM radio with pause feature.

I have a Sansa Clip but I have a few docks for my iDevices so I like docking my player to listen which I can't do with my Sansa.

I'm loving it for the gym too. Been taking it everywhere I go recently, I'd actually even dig if they made a feaking phone that size that didn't do text, internet any much else besides made calls.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I'm still mixed on it...

My last Nano just wouldn't hold a charge for longer than an hour or so and it was a 4th gen "stick of gum" style. No camera but it did have it's advantages over the current Nano that I bought yesterday.

Sure I could have had my old nano sent out and gotten a new battery for it, but it was pretty banged up from various trips to the tile floor in my home and the occasional glovebox beating getting bounced around with everything else in my van.

So I bought a new 16GB nano and while it does have some advantages over my old Nano, there are some things I miss too.

I love it's small design and attention to detail but without the click wheel that I could easily work in the middle of the night is now gone. Sure the buttons on the top do similar functions, it's not as intuitive as the proven click wheel.

I got by this by using a spare iPhone 3GS headset with the handy volume controls and simple navigation with the clicking of the microphone button.

The Radio is a feature that is nice to have and the iPod Nano now being focused as a pure music device makes it a decent budget iPod (aside from buying used on craigslist or ebay).

The clip has come in quite handy as when I'm laying in bed I listen to some relaxing music to lull me to sleep. I've been often asked why I have a Nano when I have a brand new iPod Touch, but that being the issue, I have tile floors. My Touch sliding off my bed crashing to the floor would be a major dent in my wallet.

The Nano with the clip has solved that issue completely

My thoughts on the new touch interface are really mixed. It's neat, but due to the small design, comes a small screen and small controls to boot.

In the end, I can say I tolerate it, but I neither love it or hate it either.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I like mine more each day! I wish you could set a timer for the screen to shut off after 20 seconds though... seems to stay on forever. I tend to just click the sleep screen button a lot.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

If all you want is music, a touch screen is awful. with the old one I could control it in my pocket, or in the car without having to look at it. With a touchscreen you cant do that, If I wanted a touchscreen I'd get an iPod touch or iPhone, they actually take advantage of the touchscreen.

FroMann

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
North Carolina, USA.
I mainly use my iPod as a music player so I do not require any extra features, but the 6th gen Nano was mostly a disappointment. Yes it is small, but making the interface harder to navigate by removing the click wheel and use a one inch touch screen was a horrible idea. The other bad thing about the player is that Apple did not increase the capacity, yet they kept it at $179. That is too much just for a 16GB MP3 player.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
An Ipod nano is music, pure and simple.
That's the problem: it wasn't before the 6th gen came out.

The 6th gen is a good little machine on its own, but if you compare it to the 5th gen and 4th gen (both of which I own), you start to see bits missing.

- The new version no longer plays video. Since I travel a lot, it's convenient to load some video on my Nano to watch on trains / planes / cars (when I'm not the one driving).
- No more games. Solitaire was a great little timewaster when you're sitting on the toilet.
- No camera, but admittedly I only used my camera to snap random videos when I didn't have my iPhone on me.
- While the touchscreen on the nano is far from bad, it IS fiddlier to use than the old clickwheel.

It seems that Apple really have taken 'making it smaller' to an extreme. As I've said, the new nano isn't bad at all, it's just not as good as the 5th gen.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I dig it, in fact of all the nanos I probably have gotten the most use out of this generation than any other before.

The touch screen is pretty good for how small it is, especially when its clipped on your arm, it doesn't make it a real pain to navigate like I was expecting.

Really I've only used my iPods for music anyway so all the features dropped from the 5th gen don't even bother me...though I think the pricing of this model is way off and should be at least $30 cheaper.

The classic will always be my favorite but the 6th gen is the closest as far as competing with the classic as my favorite..and I've used a lot of iPods. (iPod Shuffle 2ndGen/3rdGen/4thGen, iPod Video 5G & 5.5G, 1/2/4 gen nanos, iPod Mini with a 32GB Flashcard swap, iPod Video with a 240GB HD swap).

Then again this is coming from a guy that didn't mind the 3rd gen shuffle much either, so perhaps my tastes are different from the average consumer.

gregburbidge

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
I love my 6th gen. Happily use it every day on the way to work, and also running. Ran my spring marathon with it and even once I started tossing gu out for being too heavy the nano (clipped to waist of shorts) was no problem.

LOVE IT

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
I personally don't think that it's a bad product at all. I just think that it's ridiculous that it is supposed to be the successor to the 5th gen model and it launched at the same price even though it is undeniably a step back in functionality. I understand that what it loses in function it gains in portability, and many people like that, but I figure that if it does less it should cost less. The 6th gen should fall between the previous nano and the shuffle in terms of price, as it does in function. I would also like to see the next generation actually build on the 5th gen, but I think that Apple ha decided to permanently cripple the nano to encourage people to invest in a touch.

I could not agree more with that statement.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I could not agree more with that statement.

Yeah... Maybe they should have called it the iPod micro or Shuffle+ since it does kind of sit between the shuffle and older iPod Nano.

I actually dig the double tap power button to skip track feature a lot now. If that feature was on the iPod touch I would have liked my touch a lot more as a music player. I ended up using it as more of a PDA/ gaming device.

gentlemangrim

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
yeppp

I love my nano and so does my mum :D the wrist bands which turn it into a watch are really neat too!
I'm not sure why everyone is complaining that it is to small for, afterall the clue is in its name "nano" which in turns means very small :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.