Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

105555-ipad_2_display.jpg

DigiTimes reports that LG Display was one of the primary sources of iPad supply issues last quarter, experiencing problems with light leakage on displays produced by its manufacturing lines that scaled back shipments. The issue is said to have been resolved, with display shipments to Apple's assembly partners ramping up this quarter.. . .Samsung Electronics shipped a total of four million 9.7-inch panels for iPads in the first quarter, outpacing rival LG Display (LGD) as the largest tablet PC panel supplier for Apple, the sources indicated. LGD's iPad panel shipments reached only 3.2 million units in the first quarter.

LGD was forced to reduce its shipments in the first quarter due to light leakage problem for panels produced at its 6G production lines. The company reportedly has fixed the problem and will resume shipment momentum to Apple in the second quarter, said the sources.Apple reported surprisingly low iPad shipments of only 4.69 million units for the first quarter, and a report from research firm IHS iSuppli late last month blamed the shortages on display quality concerns and speaker production shortfalls.

Apple's supplier of audio chips for its iOS devices, Cirrus Logic, also reported last month that it had experienced manufacturing issues with components for a new product, presumed to be an Apple device and potentially the iPad 2, although the company declined to specify exactly what device was affected by its production issues.

Article Link: iPad Display Shortages Linked to Light Leakage on LG-Produced Units

jacobson00

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
so basically, the ipad 2 that will be assembled from now on, won't have the leakage issue

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Is there anyway to tell what type of display is on a unit?

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Question. Can I exchange an NL bought iPad2 (from a 3rd party retailer) at a foreign (say...Paris) Apple store?

I'm sick of the light bleeding on my $1150,- device.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
Count me as someone who can see this on my iPad if I try and yet has been bothered by it in real-world usage exactly 0 times so far.

There seems to be different degrees on the gravity of the issue. Some are more affected than others. In the less affected cases if almost doesn't make a difference

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I have minor light leakage, but not enough that I cared to return it, especially since it seems like it was russian roulette the next one they gave you would be better -- could be worse.

But I'm curious -- is there a way from the serial# or some diagnostic mode who made the panel I have in mine?

liamoblomy

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Leeds, UK
My ipad 2 that i picked up a couple of days ago from a 3 store seems fine in terms of light leakage. Only problem is the white plastic is detached from the glass at the top left and i can push it in. I can also push the glass panel down slightly at the bottom right because the glue hasn't stuck properly. Wonder if I should take it back. Only problem is with it not being an apple store im willing to bet theyd be reluctant to swap it for me.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I'm not real OCD about the light leakage but I can see it on mine in the course of casual usage having never turned brightness up past 50%. I wonder when it would be safe to return mine and not end up with another one with light leakage.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Those who work in a dark environment without overhead lights/windows see the bleeding issue on the iPads where typically those of us who work in bright environments with overhead lights or windows don't even notice the issue.

Whereas those who work in a dark environment without overhead lights/windows are not bothered by and in fact prefer large glass/glassy displays where typically those of us who work in bright environments with overhead lights or windows are bothered by large glass/glossy displays.

Payback is a B@#$S! ;)

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
My ipad 2 that i picked up a couple of days ago from a 3 store seems fine in terms of light leakage. Only problem is the white plastic is detached from the glass at the top left and i can push it in. I can also push the glass panel down slightly at the bottom right because the glue hasn't stuck properly. Wonder if I should take it back. Only problem is with it not being an apple store im willing to bet theyd be reluctant to swap it for me.

They won't be reluctant at all. Make a genius appointment, take it to an Apple store and you'll get a replacement.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

I would not hesitate to take it back to an Apple store. They are really good about replacing bad units. I don't know why you even hesitate... they will take care of you.

As for the light leak. I see it on my iPad 2 at night on the lock screen because I have a dark image. However, it's not even noticeable during my normal use. For me it's no big deal. I would think if it's a big problem for you, then I'd take it into an Apple store and go for an exchange.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Those who work in a dark environment without overhead lights/windows see the bleeding issue on the iPads where typically those of us who work in bright environments with overhead lights or windows don't even notice the issue.

Whereas those who work in a dark environment without overhead lights/windows are not bothered by and in fact prefer large glass/glassy displays where typically those of us who work in bright environments with overhead lights or windows are bothered by large glass/glossy displays.

Payback is a B@#$S! ;)

I think you're just looking at it wrong. :rolleyes:

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
Well to an "average" consumer they don't really care what parts are manufactured by which company, all they want is a product that functions well as it is supposed to and without any issues relating to hardware, etc.

I couldn't personally give a damn about whether LG or Samsung supplies the parts, as long as it does not have light leak problems associated with it; and Apple's QC is failing to meet standards, but I am disillusioned because their products' are top quality compared with other manufacturers.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Does anyone have a good description of the issue?
My iPad 2 has a very visible amber/yellow glow along the long left side where the smart cover magnets attach.

The amber/yellow glow is distinctly visible in low-light conditions, while watching a letter-boxed movie with the iPad 2 in landscape. Where there should be a dark border, I see the amber/yellow light leaking out from the edge--but only on the edge where the smart cover attaches.

So is that what the light leakage looks like or does everybody's iPad 2 have that problem?

liamoblomy

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Leeds, UK
They won't be reluctant at all. Make a genius appointment, take it to an Apple store and you'll get a replacement.

I got it from a 3 mobile store and not an apple store though. I would have thought the apple store would tell me to take it back to the 3 mobile store?

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I got my iPad2 on the first day (so I guess the first batch) and when the iPad is on but the screen is black I can see light leaking in from the edges. Its no big deal but I wonder if this is the same as what they are talking about.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Count me as someone who can see this on my iPad if I try and yet has been bothered by it in real-world usage exactly 0 times so far.

same here ... especially if the screen is full black with nothing else on it. Once there is something going on I don't realize it anymore. I thought about bringing it to the store for replacement, but didn't want to spend the 20min drive since it honestly doesn't bother me.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones where it is not too bad, maybe too many people are overreacting - I have not seen any other iPad2 that has this problem, so I can't compare.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Does anyone have a good description of the issue?
My iPad 2 has a very visible amber/yellow glow along the long left side where the smart cover magnets attach.

The amber/yellow glow is distinctly visible in low-light conditions, while watching a letter-boxed movie with the iPad 2 in landscape. Where there should be a dark border, I see the amber/yellow light leaking out from the edge--but only on the edge where the smart cover attaches.

So is that what the light leakage looks like or does everybody's iPad 2 have that problem?

Yeah, I also see light leak in from the edges, maybe its the same thing as they are talking about...?

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
I have slight light leakage on my ipad2, and late 2008 mbp. It's only noticeable when watching letterboxed movies or really dark wallpapers. I thought it was normal for LCD screens.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Hmm...on one hand, I still don't have my iPad 2 as I've been waiting forever (F@%K U Best Buy) but on the other hand, it's nice they caught this "problem" so whenever I ultimately get mine, it hopefully won't have this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.