Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leeq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Hello,

At night, since my partner goes to sleep earlier than me, I'd like to mute any sound(push messages, sms, etc.) from my iPhone including "vibration" buzz sound.

The only way to achieve is to set my iPhone(3GS, iOS 4.3.1) into Slient mode and turn off the Vibration option. (Though it still vibrates when I start recharging. duh..)

It is very tedious to go into options and change every night and revert in the morning so I tried to mute it by simply decreasing the volume to 0 in Sound mode but it just cannot reach 0 for whatever reason!

I don't want to complain about this "feature" but would like to know what is the simplest method to set my iPhone completely muted - no sound, no vibration. Even my 6-year-old Sammy dumb phone had "night time" function which automatically becomes completely muted between selected range of hours.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

leeq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Well thanks but the issue here is that I need to use the phone without making any noise, not powering off.

leeq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
I give up. I'm going for the jailbreak option.
iPhone certainly has lots of big but useless features while lacking even more basic but crucial features (which cannot be used for advertisement). This is my last product from apple anyway.

PS:
The question I always get when I ask to a certain group of people: "Why do you need that feature?"
=> A typical example of imagination-deprived minded, i.e. "I don't need it. So you don't need it."

leeq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Thanks. That's a good idea.
I'll stick to that for time being. :eek:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I give up. I'm going for the jailbreak option.
iPhone certainly has lots of big but useless features while lacking even more basic but crucial features (which cannot be used for advertisement). This is my last product from apple anyway.

PS:
The question I always get when I ask to a certain group of people: "Why do you need that feature?"
=> A typical example of imagination-deprived minded, i.e. "I don't need it. So you don't need it."

yes and no the reverse would be why would apple include that feature just because you want it?

im assuming your other phones had sound profiles for night mode etc..

so you still had to do a few clicks to change to that profile

with the iphone you click settings sounds then turn vibrate off silent vibrate, not that many more clicks then and other phone with sound profiles

to make it easier always have silent vibrate off then its just hitting the switch on the side

boom done

BrianKDav

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
yes and no the reverse would be why would apple include that feature just because you want it?

I would hazard a guess that many more than just leeq want it.

I have wanted it BACK ever since I gave up a cell phone that had a timer that would reinstate normal mode. That was great because it's easy to remember to set it at the start of a meeting (or when someone else's phone rings at a meeting), but more difficult to remember to un-silence it at the end of a meeting. Various phones have had mixed success with this function over the years. I know lots of people who would appreciate a phone that went silent automatically when they entered a scheduled meeting and returned to normal when they were done. I get automatic pages from the systems I support, and these messages go to others as well. We have different personal schedules, so it would be great to be able to separately schedule when these messages make noise in each life.

To manage the sounds of the iPhone, users are currently compelled to trip though multiple configuration pages, multiple times a day, repeating the same adjustments at the same time each day. To think that is okay, is to forget the purpose of this kind of technology: TO MAKE OUR LIVES EASIER.

This is a feature ripe for automation which coordinates with a schedule and appointment calendar. Searches show that some have written potentially good solutions to this challenge. The shame is that those solutions are not available unless the one "JailBreaks" their iPhone. This is surprising and dissapointing, because a major facet to Apple's reputation is ease of use.

My iPhone was purchased for me by my employer as our first venture into iPhones as a potential corporate standard. For this reason, we will not jail-break any phones. This forces us to hope that the App Store will provide something that will help us in this area. Until then, the management of the iPhone sounds is inferior to that on the BlackBerry Storm, and we will have to wait.

For some, life is simple enough that the switch on the side of the iPhone is sufficient. For mine, and for many friends and acquaintences, it is not.

This link is to another discussion on the subject. It explains, but with the fact that jail-broken iPhones can do it, the explanation does not satisfy.

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/threads/profiles-or-an-app.43013/

--Brian

funnoam

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Hum, first story i read who complain about a non-existing issue...

I never had trouble with my iPhone sound, I mean, everytime i want i can tell my iphone to shut up and i cannot heard a single sound from the device.

You want the vibration buzz off ?
Use airplaine mode. I'm sure you don't care about messages or push who comes in night, since you don't want ANY sound.

And no need to compare to other phones, maybe the iPhone don't have this crucial function, but i'm sure there is a lot of iPhone features you gonna miss if you switch to an other phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.