Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
So a few minutes ago I was googling some images and when I clicked on this specific one, the image loaded but it then quickly re-directed me to another site which warned me that I might have an infected PC and that its going to run a scan to find the problem.

I just wanted to share the screenshot.

img0337d.png

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
So a few minutes ago I was googling some images and when I clicked on this specific one, the image loaded but it then quickly re-directed me to another site which warned me that I might have an infected PC and that its going to run a scan to find the problem.

I just wanted to share the screenshot.

looks to me that its just a random push notification from either an app for
a website. Nothing to worry about I don't think, looks like some form of advertisement : )

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Happens quite often. They just want to sucker in as many people as possible, no point doing user agent checks; why not try to convince a mac user that they have a virus if they're willing to pay up? :p

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Start using OpenDns block adware you shouldnt see anything like that again its just an ad unless your jailbroken all ios apps are sandboxed from each other and a virus would not be able to work and 2 a scanner cant scan your ipad unless jailbroken. (Even if your jailbroken there is less than a 0.0000000000001 perent chane of getting a virus if there ever will be one.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I'm not worried about this pop-up. I switched to only Macs in my home about 5 years ago and even though I haven't had anything like this in 5 years, it was a nice reminder this morning of what I haven't had to deal with (knocks on wood) in such a long time.

If I would have had a PC and had gotten this pop-up, I would have been running Norton Anti-Virus Scanner by now, but since I own a Mac and this happened on my iPad, I just carried on.

Airforcekid, I'm not jailbroken and I actually just updated my iPad this morning to iOS 4.3.3

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
LOL

The really funny thing is that there's someone over on the help forum who's actually worried about this. I couldn't figure out what they meant happened exactly, the picture helps a lot. :)

Kupp

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Massachusetts
I got that the other day too, thought it was really funny.

On mine it showed animation for scanning my C drive, which was also highly comical.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
That's a fake virus message designed to dupe an unknowing person into buying some fake security software.

Cakester

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2009
Columbus
I love when I get the random Windows pop up that says I have a virus, but I'm working in OSX. Makes me wish these dirty evil companies were at least paying attention.

Can't imagine how many things they sell to old ladies who love cats...

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I love how many people in this thread think the OP doesn't realize this.

Thank you for realizing that, I am fully aware that this is a scam made for PC users who don't realize this is a scam, especially since I got this pop up on my iPad and thats why I chose to labeled my post "Good try Internet" (I was trying to be a little comical).

The point of my post and screenshot was just a sign of relief of things that I haven't had to deal with since I switched to only Mac OS X and iOS devices in my home and it brought back some unpleasant memories.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's not a virus. It's not any kind of malware. It's obvious that it's scareware, since it says "Windows security has found critical process activity on your PC..." For more information, read the information on scareware in this link: Mac Virus/Malware Info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.